Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: You Only Build Once  (Read 18971 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Only Build Once
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 03:03:00 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Woops, forgot you can only have one retired character per site.
What, really?
I'm ending my turn now without doing anything or making a rule because I just accidentally deleted ptb_ptb's character when I retired at the same location.
My character died at the end of my last turn. Did you keep your save?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:07:28 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »

I do have the save.  I got a strange message to the effect of "All other data at this site will be erased" when I saved that I don't remember seeing before.  I remembered something about multiple heroes not allowed to retire at the same place so I assumed that was what the message meant.  I might be getting confused with an older bug, though.  Quite possible, there have been so many over the years.

Yes, I still have the save.  I'll post it up shortly along with the new rule I was cooking up.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:58 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Yes, I still have the save.  I'll post it up shortly along with the new rule I was cooking up.
Well, my (dead) dwarf started from the original dwarf fortress. There is a hero out in a human town somewhere, I think. I'll have a look at your save, if there are two heroes left around then you should be fine. (Clarification: Your hero + One other)

I look forward to seeing your adventurer's journal (if you did one).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:15:01 pm by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »

Rule #6: Kobold Rule part 1:  EVER'BODY KOBOLDS!  On your next (or first if you are just starting) turn that you play in adventure mode, you must make and play a kobold and keep the name handy.  Try and keep this kobold alive because it will become important to future rules.  If the kobold dies, you must create a new one during your next adventure turn.  If you plan to play fortress mode, you do not need to create a kobold that turn.

The save file has been adjusted to allow playable kobolds without extinction of all other civilizations in accordance with this rule.  Kobold outsiders have also been enabled.

You see a small plank of wood with curious scratching on it.  It catches your interest enough to pick it up, but it isn't until later, during your class on the history of Kobolds, that you realize what you have.  It is the record of one Drukubeekus, last Kobold of Puzzleshaft.  The translation of the artifact is as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Post-Retire save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10246

There were 2 heroes with this one, so it looks like we're fine.  I probably just misunderstood what the game was saying.  I was profoundly tired last night when I did this, so it's likely my addled brain misinterpreted the warning message.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:39:35 pm by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2014, 02:37:55 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Interesting.

BTW, you broke line 5 of the first post. :P
I'll allow it, though, because it wasn't written in red.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:40:21 pm by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »

Yeah, it seemed a statement of what the game is based on and not a rule because you said this:

Rules can affect anything except the big three red laws.

Gotta be careful when using that particular word around me.  I pushed that pretty much as far as I thought I could get away with. I'm a stinker that way :P.

I know the primary goal of this succession game is to flush out bugs, so if you need to reset the game to before I modded the files, go for it.  That said, it's a pretty mild mod (2 tokens on the kobold entity) so it shouldn't effect the bug you were seeing at all.  It also doesn't alter underlying mechanics since kobolds become playable anyway when all the civs are dead.  As I said, pushed it just about as far as I thought I could get away with.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:50:45 pm by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 03:12:55 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Haha, no don't worry about it. Actually, I played through some fortress building on a new clean world gen and got a good set of examples for the bug 'closest to my heart'. Namely, the Unretired fortress crashes after some game days bug. So I'm not so bothered now. I am living in hopes that DF 0.40.21 will be a 'bug fix' update, in which case it is quite likely to be addressed then. (It probably won't be fixed in DF 0.40.20 which is more of a functionality update).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:47:58 pm by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 03:50:55 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Summary: Many goods sent to king. Retired with 70 or so dwarves in residence. Useful target for kobold thievery. ;)

RULE #7: All kobold adventurers must be generated with at least 20% of skill points spent on ambush.

Save file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10250
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:57:21 pm by ptb_ptb »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 07:22:21 pm »

The save file doesn't seem to work for me, perhaps you could upload the whole game folder?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 08:46:25 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

The save file doesn't seem to work for me, perhaps you could upload the whole game folder?
Reuploaded with complete game included.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10250
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:49:27 pm by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 01:37:10 am »

Well, since it's been a few days, I figure I'll download it and continue the tale of Drukubeekus.  Give me 24 hours and I'll have something to post.

If somebody beats me to it, fair play to them  :D.

UPDATE:  Going to be a smidgen longer than anticipated.  Hit a bug while playing and spent a bunch of time tracking it down.  Actually, the turn is done I just have to do all the image editing and get the post put together and the save uploaded.  It's way too late to do that now, so I'll tackle it in the morning.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:41:19 am by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 10:44:09 am »

With the collapse of their 'civilization', the remaining kobolds have struck out into the world looking for something to do.  Since they work for nearly free due to their love of discarded socks, shirts, and other worn clothing, the Dwarves have been more than happy to employ them as trappers, scouts, rangers, and light-duty military grunts.  This leads to the next rule:

Rule #8 - Kobold Rule #3: Kobolds for Hire! The savvy overseer can reduce their tribute by using a kobold for hire to do important (and unimportant) jobs for the Mountainhome.  See below. 

The kills on your mandatory kobold adventurer reduce your tribute as follows: 
  • Each non-noteworthy (animal) kill reduces the base tribute* value by 10.
  • Each kill of an evil or dwarven-war sentient (goblins, other non-PC kobolds, bandits, war targets, etc) reduces base tribute by 100.
  • Each kill of non-zombie, non-werebeast night creature reduces tribute by 250.
  • Each kill of a werebeast or zombie reduces tribute by 500.
  • Each kill of a Semi-megabeast reduces tribute by 1,000.
  • Each kill of a mega-beast, titan, or forgotten beast reduces tribute by 2,500.
  • If you can kill a demon with a kobold and have that kobold live, you no longer have to pay tribute.

Notes: These kills must appear on their kill list or they do not count (barring any bug where something does not appear on the list).  You may utilize multiple kobold adventurers and combine their kill lists if you want to spread the work around.  Should a Kobold die at any point, you lose all tribute reduction tied to that kobold.  Killing non-combatant dwarves or their peaceful civilized neighbors will flag the Kobold as evil and all tribute reduction associated with that kobold is lost.

*Base tribute is the multiplied yearly value.  So, if your kobold kills 1 goblin and 10 animals (A reduction of 200), your base tribute would become 9,800.  Thus you pay 9,800 times the year of the fort.

The translation of the wooden artifact containing the records of Drukubeekus, last Kobold of Puzzleshaft continues:

Post-retire save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10269

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 07:55:10 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Kobold adventurer turn continuing. Score so far: One peregrine falcon. (lol)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 02:10:39 pm »

Score so far: One peregrine falcon.

After all that, I'd completely forgotten to look at Dukubeekus' kill list.  Probably around 20 given all the wildlife he tormented during his training.  I'll have to load up the save and take a look.

Also, something odd I discovered when training blunt: If you crush/pulp something and the target survives the resulting blood loss, you can keep attacking that same spot with very little chance of actually killing it.  I trained Beekus up to Master Mace by doing that with whatever I could find that would survive the initial pulping of a limb.

I think it's related to the bugs where pulped parts can still be recognized as functional (and eventually heal while retaining immunity to being pulped a second time).

I'm going to experiment with pulping a limb and then stabbing it repeatedly to see if pulping first makes it immune to causing more bleeding.  Seemed to be the case with additional blunt attacks, but didn't mix blunt and piercing.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »

Also, something odd I discovered when training blunt: If you crush/pulp something and the target survives the resulting blood loss, you can keep attacking that same spot with very little chance of actually killing it.
Yep. I've read that before. Hmm, it looks rather like this bug. But that is supposed to be fixed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9