OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 495785 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.19.0 Release!
« Reply #1576 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:30 am »

the anatomy looks strange, but it's a great sight nonetheless (as always!) :)

What to read on dwarven anatomy?  :D
"Considering the Dwarf" it is a Forgotten Beast sheet bound codex with cover out of conglomerate bound codex. It concerns the anatomy of Dwarves. It meanders and loses track of the topic ending up on discussing why elves are evil. its prose is passable.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: December 18, 2018, 12:36:36 pm »

Your sprites, are they generated based off of appearance information? and if so, how do you read it? I'm trying to figure out how to recreate the appearance string from the unit description screen, but I can't figure out how that information is stored

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:35 pm »

The appearance info is stored in a bunch of different places, but primarily, there's modifiers  stored for each body part, and for the creature as a whole. It's a bit involved to get it all together, but you can look through the source for my other app, dwarf portrait, to get a better idea how it all is pulled together.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: December 18, 2018, 01:59:25 pm »

Oy vey, that is a lot more complicated than I was hoping for. I think I figured out the colors, but am still having trouble figuring out things like "her quite dense hair is curly", "her nose is broad". I know it has to do with the bp_appearance_modifiers and body_appearance_modifiers, but I can't seem to find where I can tell that the appearance modifier type is "dense" or "broad". I'm guessing that's what the casteRaws.bp_appearance_modifiers.modifier.type is referencing though?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: December 18, 2018, 02:02:42 pm »

There's two classes you need to look at, there's the creature and cast raw classes, and then there's the creature itself. The raw class has a list of every modifier a creature can have, while the creature class has the actual values, in an array of the same length.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: December 19, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »

Alright, I think I got it all figured out, thanks for your help. Now I just need to convert the numbers to strings (e.g. very long hair vs long hair). But that shouldn't be too hard, just time consuming. Thanks very much for your help.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:13 pm »

Not sure if this is possible, but what if we could take .fdf-map files from the DFMA and render them in a visualizer like Armok Vision?

The most fundamental problem with this is that the file is a bunch of compressed .png images. However, if the compression involves an array of indices to images of the individual tiles, there is at least a possibility that one could construct a rudimentary version of the map. (DFFD gives a link to the creator's homepage. I haven't bothered to log into Google to check if there's any documentation on how it works.)

We would most likely have to ask the player to manually assign what each tile image represents (barring image recognition software.) We can't know anything about tiles that creatures or items are covering, and would have to fall back to a default gray floor (even if it's supposed to be stairs) under those objects.

This is probably just a pipe dream. I don't expect to waste their time and effort, but I thought I'd put my thoughts out there just in case it turned out to be doable.

Worst case scenario, we could have a program that lets the user paint solid tiles using a grid overlay of each z-level image. Then it could render a 3D view of the painted cubes for a general idea of what the fort looks like. Not sure who'd be interested in that, but it sounds simple enough. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:24:06 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 13, 2019, 05:04:53 pm »

i sometimes wonder if ALL squares of the map are existant in such detail as the sites with historical value to the player.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:01 pm »

It'd be far easier to save a snapshot of the fortress in the same binary format that Armok Vision uses.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 14, 2019, 04:59:40 pm »

It'd be far easier to save a snapshot of the fortress in the same binary format that Armok Vision uses.
As long as you have access to the save file, yeah.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: January 14, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »

Which would be an interesting way of sharing forts, like a web viewer.

There's just not enough info in the screenshots.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 21, 2019, 11:18:21 pm »

I felt we needed a chibi slider.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 23, 2019, 01:32:53 am »

Am I seeing nothing but beard from the two in the center, or are they just lying down face first like the guy on the right?

*Bumber ponders a new sub-race of dwarves*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:35:39 am by Bumber »

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 110