OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 498900 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. Hotfix Update!
« Reply #436 on: September 30, 2015, 04:40:19 pm »

I've gotta say though, that dwarf peeking out of the table amuses me and makes me imagine them as extra sneaky.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 01, 2015, 01:12:28 pm »

Since everybody has been asking for it, the next version will have more reasonable shininess on stone.

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 03, 2015, 05:37:58 pm »

Please dont waste 1 second of dev time on that! Anyone worried about the shinyness of stone, or other non-interfering rendering at this point will never be happy...

Besides, dwarfs take pride in stone work and finish it very polished...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 03, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »

Smooth stone is shiny in real life...so its legit as far as I am concerned :P if you want to add in full 3d lighting via light sources with shadows and everything that would be the right change lol

(obviously that shouldn't be a priority now either...function first prettiness later)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:29 pm »

Actually, it was just a side effect of shifting shininess from being a function of shape, to being a function of material.

So now instead of setting the shininess of constructed walls, you set it for stone.

This was a necessary change because I had to put transparency as a function of shape instead, where before it was a function of material, which didn't make sense.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 04, 2015, 03:18:47 pm »

Part of the problem with the shiny stone for me wasn't that it was just shiny, it was actually quite reflective, sometimes about as much as the surface of water, if you go back and look at my screenshot. It made it very difficult to try to look at and distinguish the various walls inside my fort from certain directions. I don't want my fortress to be headache inducing to look at, though I agree that smooth stone should have a certain sheen. Also those are stone blocks, not smoothed walls anyway.

Anyway, just dowloaded and tried out the new version, which is awesome, except now my silver block road looks very black from certain angles. It seems to be reflecting light from certain angles, but when not directly reflecting it just turns completely black. I took a screenshot where it's mostly black, but has some silver to it nearer the camera. It shouldn't look like this, should it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I should mention that stone walls are already much less reflective than they were, and are much better in the current version now. What I was unhappy with was in older versions, and anyone getting Armok Vision now won't see that anyway.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:31:39 pm by Poldon »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 04, 2015, 07:57:10 pm »

That black is probably a bug. I'll look into it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 04, 2015, 08:16:49 pm »

-snip-
You should probably reflect that image. Sarif has an augmented right arm, not left.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 04, 2015, 11:36:53 pm »

Actually, what quality settings are you using? Fastest quality will show metal like that.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:44 am »

Actually, what quality settings are you using? Fastest quality will show metal like that.

Oh, for some reason my brain didn't process the quality menu dropdown, and I just left it on fastest. If it looks better on higher settings, that's great, but I'm probably not turning mine up because I only get about 6 FPS with it anyway. XD

Edit: Tried it on max anyway, got 3 FPS and looked around, the silver looks great. Everything looks great, but I'm sadly going to be unable to use that most of the time. Great work so far! I can't wait for bridges, lots of weird empty spaces without them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:17:08 am by Poldon »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 05, 2015, 10:23:19 am »

Bridges are in the next version.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 05, 2015, 06:18:28 pm »

The minecart turns along that flanged wheel - a rotating flywheel under the track would work as a "roller" to speed the cart up or slow it down.  I can see the inertia of a cart letting it just roll forward on its own power until it hits a stop or a ramp.  As to these models having too many polygons - what's the average polygon count you're looking for?  Those tables look to have @20, the beds @14 or so - I can map the various assets to models that have a count under 30 polygons.  Would that work for you?

Suggestion: map four keys to rotating the viewpoint a specific degree, say @+/- 15 degrees left, right, up and down from the current view angle.  This would make low fps renders be much easier to control rather than nudging the mouse and hoping it doesn't skew past the desired view angle.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:25:19 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:55 pm »

Incidentally, is there a key to increase the z-levels displayed and I'm stupid or is that determined in-engine or something?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:47 pm »

No key currently, I'm afraid.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 110