OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 499673 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.9.0 Release!
« Reply #795 on: April 26, 2016, 04:42:31 am »

http://i.imgur.com/YjvSpe8.png

This is more or less what blocky looks like.

What's missing right now are side walls.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:53:21 am by Japa »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 26, 2016, 07:57:55 am »

Yep, that's totally gorgeous. I honestly think it looks better than Isoworld, mostly the proportions but the angle probably helps!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 26, 2016, 09:11:27 am »

What do you have to do to "zoom in" to the degree that you see those two spikes? Do you have to perform a fake embark, or something?

I suspect it would be obscenely time consuming to do so, but it would be incredible to see a whole world rendered like that, even a "mere" pocket world.

(And my first embark ever had a single spike out diagonally from a mountain range, actually.  I made my noble housing throughout it, with windows looking down over the Joyful Wilds shrublands and the menacing unicorns therein.)

As for art style, Endless Legend (looking specifically at the slopes and cliffs) had a style of still having relatively simple, low-poly art for terrain, but it still managed to look rough.  (And it's also on Unity :P ) While it would up the poly count and make the graphics card have to work for it a little more, you could try making something similar-looking ridges, which might contrast with smoothed walls you could actually expect to see smooth.  I also personally like "diagonal" walls, although possibly only for smoothed ones.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:19:45 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 26, 2016, 09:21:14 am »

I just did an actual embark.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 26, 2016, 10:03:18 am »

Oh, I'm getting isoworld flashbacks. I wasn't too excited about Armok Vision before, but I certainly am now.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

easykiln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 26, 2016, 11:51:07 am »

I quite like the blocky. Shame you can't get the higher detail version by default. The actual embark site still somewhat gives the impression that it is floating over the terrain rather than a part of it though...

Are you planning on adding a map symbol overlay or something to let you see notable features like cities and roads?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:16 pm »

The actual embark site still somewhat gives the impression that it is floating over the terrain rather than a part of it though...

http://imgur.com/a/oI683

Not anymore.

Though now there's a gigantic hole wherever the embark site is outside the viewable range.

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 26, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »

If you need to look upwards, you can zoom in to first person view, then you have an unrestricted camera.
YES! thats exactly what I needed, thanks. By the way I´m totally rooting for blocky style!! those renders looks amazing dude.
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:12 am »

I have a suggestion. No idea if it's easy to implement, or even feasible, but whatever.

So, in the old method, you took the map data and interpolated it with a really high (per pixel?) resolution.
Like so:
http://imgur.com/a/98bo0

With the new method, you don't interpolate at all, leading to gigantic (from a dwarf perspective) blocks:

How about interpolating with whatever basic method you used earlier, except only up to the resolution of the detailed tiles?
So that you effectively end up with a consistent tile resolution all over the map.
Here's a mockup:
http://imgur.com/KtiIEgQ

At the very least, having the rendering method (blocky or not blocky) implemented as option in some config file would be great, as it appears not everyone likes the blocky map.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:51 am »

I do like the idea of (optional) fake higher detail. In my experience cubic interpolation looks good for height maps, if you decide to take up the idea.

On the other hand zooming to below the region-tile level for the whole world map is pretty pointless, and merging a highest-zoom setting to the edge of the map would be hard (but *amazing*).
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

easykiln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 27, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »

The actual embark site still somewhat gives the impression that it is floating over the terrain rather than a part of it though...

Not anymore.

Though now there's a gigantic hole wherever the embark site is outside the viewable range.

Nice. I can't tell if that is a gap at the bottom though. If so, can it be rigged so anything below the terrain is connected downward like the detailed terrain is carved out of the top of one of those blocks?

Also this might not be the place to discuss it, but I am in favour of trying changing the "unknown" colour from black to that sort of slate gray of rock. Looks more natural, makes sense. Black as the dominant colour is mostly just a leftover from the ASCII, anyway. I was going to say use whatever colour you get from the method you are using to pick colours for the blocks in the map, but green would just be weird.

EDIT: BTW, I see you have a ton of z levels rendered there to give a proper aerial view. How do you make it do that? Looked around but couldn't find anything.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 04:55:53 pm by easykiln »

ragundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 27, 2016, 04:41:23 pm »

http://imgur.com/a/hd2VI

Some more.

With obviously very bad purpose, I want to do a critic review of your world generation:  :) :)

• There're no rivers.
  • There're no roads, bridges nor sites.
  • Are the colours based on the elevation or the real biome?. I think they're based on elevation. Meh

I'll wait patiently in #dfhack IRC for you to give a justification about such "poor" world map.  :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:04 pm »

Colors are based on a combination of biome and elevation.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 110