OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 499500 times)

Alzapua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:45 am »

...I wouldn't throw out the idea of patreon to be honest, assuming toady's fine with it...

I get your point, man. I wouldn't have any idea what toady would think about that. But the way I see it, is toady is a source of inspiration, if anything. I'm just all about developing ideas. As much as I love dwarf fortress and the work that toady did, there is always room for improvement. Why would a 3D visualizer be anything different than an entire separate game? As soon as you are going to limit yourself in the possibilities that you have, it will slow/stop the creative growth of our creations. If I was toady, I would be proud if people were inspired enough to improve my game.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2015, 12:53:29 pm »

For me, it's not so much about limiting myself, though I am, a bit, but more that I don't have the skillset to make a full game on my own, other than maybe something really simple. A full-on strategy game of the scope of something like DF is a bit beyond me.

If there was a project I could join and help out with, that'd be different, but as it is... It's a bit daunting.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2015, 01:16:27 pm »

If I were you, I'd start going around different GFX forums and post about the project and ask people if they want to contribute models.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »

...I wouldn't throw out the idea of patreon to be honest, assuming toady's fine with it...

I get your point, man. I wouldn't have any idea what toady would think about that. But the way I see it, is toady is a source of inspiration, if anything. I'm just all about developing ideas. As much as I love dwarf fortress and the work that toady did, there is always room for improvement. Why would a 3D visualizer be anything different than an entire separate game? As soon as you are going to limit yourself in the possibilities that you have, it will slow/stop the creative growth of our creations. If I was toady, I would be proud if people were inspired enough to improve my game.

I'd tread lightly when it comes to visualizers-becoming-games. Last time that happened, it was... not pretty. It's sort of a thin line between jumping point and plagiarism.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:34:24 pm by Putnam »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2015, 03:49:38 pm »

Broken link, but point taken.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Alzapua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:24 am »

I'd tread lightly when it comes to visualizers-becoming-games. Last time that happened, it was... not pretty. It's sort of a thin line between jumping point and plagiarism.

Maybe I just shouldn't have used the term 'remake' then. I was just thinking out loud. I just see Toady as an inspiration, and I think sooner or later, there will be a game very similar to dwarf fortress in depth, but just with beautiful graphics. Toady had inspirations himself, too. On which he improved. Now it's other people's job to take from Toady as well. It's just the dynamic of life. One day, Toady will quit or die... what then? His work will live on forever.

I think plagiarism is only when you make exact copies of something and publish it as your own. I don't think that's got anything to do with this. Although it would probably considered immoral if you post your own projects on here when it has nothing to do with dwarf fortress. Whether that game is like dwarf fortress or not.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2015, 12:20:20 pm »

Easiest way is to just ask Toady directly. Thats what I did when I ran my two donation drives (I based the idea of the animal donation drive that Rainseeker did). I told Toady beforehand about what I was planning to do, which was gathering donations to enable me to work full time for 2 months on mods. He was ok with it, as long as the details are handled outside of bay12, for responsibility issues I guess. So if you make the "Give money for 3D DF"-thread, it would be bad, but if you add a link to a patreon in your sig/this thread, I'd like to think that it would be ok.

The community itself might react differently though, I got several bad comments about leeching money away from Toady, even if all donations that I got combined over the years are less than what he gets in a month.

Edit: Just noticed that I still got the donate link in my sign. So yeah... :D Toady never minded that. But if I dont make any updates, I dont get donations either. The last one was over 4 months ago.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:23:12 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2015, 04:00:45 pm »

Alzapua

read around the forums, and the game before deciding you should make a game.

You will note that

1. Toady is not done
2. Toady is on fire right now
3. Another modder is working on a way to use external ui, for iphone first but he plans to release the code, allowing someone to integrate new UI into various visualizers should they desire.  We are closer than ever to a graphical DF.

If you think you can find anyone to make this style game better than Bay12, ask how that worked for the devs of such clones as towny, gnomoria, etc etc. and ask any competent DF player that has played those crapshows how they compare to the depth and controllability of DF.

Alzapua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 05:37:22 pm »

I was only thinking out loud and I didn't make anything remotely related to a decision. I didn't mean to give this impression. Right now I'm only interested in hypothetically creating some models for this initiative. Even if I were interested in starting a serious project, it would remain a hobby and I am not at all interested in financial gain. So, I'm sorry for derailing the discussion here with my very first post on this forum :P.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:05 pm »

We are closer than ever to a graphical DF.

I am become death xD
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2015, 11:48:05 am »

Just finished adding in a system that allows you to, for example, apply one texture to everything that's marble, except for, say, stairs, which get something else.

This will allow me to have things like random variation, and properly working ramps.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2015, 02:06:26 pm »

This is sounding more awesome the more I read it. Keep up the good work.

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »

Just saw this today.

I'd like to suggest that if you DO go with 3D models for creatures, you should make them simple - same torso sizes, head shapes, etc. for creatures that can wear armor, with year 2000 style segmented bodies to show dismemberment.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2015, 03:37:21 am »

Posting to give Japa my continued encouragement because he's awesome.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2015, 11:17:42 am »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 110