OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 499328 times)

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.10.0 Release!
« Reply #975 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:14 pm »

I finally did what i have been meaning to do. Intent on dropping the openvr camera rig object into this to see if i can walk around my fort,eventually. So I fired up unity, downloaded the git master source zip, (accidentally forked it lol)  tried to open it in unity.. only to realize my unity was version 5.3.4f or some crap and an update just came out....now i am downloading unity and wont have time to try until tomorrow.

But since I started, I am now eager as hell to know, and maybe tomorrow, at work, for 12 damn hours, I can content myself by reading a possible reply to my questions.

these questions are...

1. Do i just unzip the git master zip of the repo and open it as a unity project?

2. I assume i need to load up a fort with dfhack /etc to "feed" it so i can run it , un-compiled, in unity as i dev on it. is this the case or must I compile it each time? Anything weird or unexpected to know to get it working?

anyone reading with a vive, dont get excited, I work 60 hours a week and am a newb at unity. You will probably never see my work, and i will probably never make anything worth a damn, unless I live out my fantasy and quit work and dev vr games, and if i did i would be evicted with no where to plug in my computer within 2 months!!!

Cant post without saying,Japa, great great work with this. Thanks so much for AV.  Armok Vison FTW!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 21, 2016, 11:43:03 pm »

1: Yes, that's pretty much all that's needed. It already has all the SteamVR stuff setup in it, so you just have to compile and run.

2: Yes, Armok Vision requires DF running, with a fort loaded, DFHack installed, and the RemoteFortressReader plugin updated. If you're using the latest starter pack, you'll have all that. There's no real difference between running it from within Unity and running it compiled, besides performance.

3: Performance is pretty bad right now, and I don't know how to improve it, so suggestions are welcome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 21, 2016, 11:48:33 pm »

Isometric Armok Vision?
Awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:47 am »

I finally did what i have been meaning to do. Intent on dropping the openvr camera rig object into this to see if i can walk around my fort,eventually.

Beat you to it!  VR enhancement issue is https://github.com/JapaMala/armok-vision/issues/34
Current status: 
- Teleportation and climbing (hold grip buttons) are notionally in
- Most controls aren't working in VR
- Performance is *terrible*  (10-25 FPS); compiled is probably better

But I think it's moving in the right direction and it's great to see someone else interested :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 22, 2016, 08:19:06 am »

I did a search and saw you mention you were going to try, very cool that you did.

Is the teleport from the vr toolkit? *edit nevermind, im home early and got it all loaded without incident! I see!Or is it a custom job?

I didn't realize you were doing openvr in there as well Japa..I searched the thread for openvr and didn't see a mention...great!

It's funny about the performance. I mean, Uncompiled yeah, but compiled? What do you think it is? Is it a communication issue with remote fortress reader?  Is it the scale and huge physics calculations? You think it's straight up Video card processing that can't keep up?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:55:06 pm by funkydwarf »

Saladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 25, 2016, 06:45:27 am »

Hi Japa, I'm having some issues... similar to what Sasquatch was having on page 65. The map shown seems to be the world map near my fort, because my fort map only has one lake.

http://i.imgur.com/3rmo6lG.png

I'm using the latest LNP (43.03 r6). DFHack has the RemoteFortressReader plugin. If I try to reload the plugin, I get "Warning: Plugin RemoteFortressReader compiled for DFHack 0.43.03-r1-5-g697aa54, running DFHack 0.43.03-r1-0-g9889379". I can't find RemoteFortressReader.plug.dll anywhere on the internet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 25, 2016, 07:15:44 am »

the warning is normal, and not easily avoidable.

Can you post your save? I'll try and see what's wrong.

Saladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 25, 2016, 11:08:40 am »

Downloading it now.

That said, next time, you may consider uploading to http://dffd.bay12games.com/

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 05, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »

Another release!

This one brings blood spatters and rudimentary SteamVR support.

https://github.com/JapaMala/armok-vision/releases/tag/v0.12.0

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.12.0 Release!
« Reply #985 on: October 05, 2016, 02:18:44 pm »

If you close this save file and reopen it, will blood be in the exact same spots as before?

How does the blood get on the map? Do you have to draw a splattered version of each object individually, or does the game simulate pouring a bucket of blood on a tile?

Also, do I need a new version of RemoteFortressReader for this?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 05, 2016, 03:05:15 pm »

If you close this save file and reopen it, will blood be in the exact same spots as before?

How does the blood get on the map? Do you have to draw a splattered version of each object individually, or does the game simulate pouring a bucket of blood on a tile?
Looks like just an overlay of a splatter texture from above. Notice the terrible vertical stripes.

Is it possible to use a different texture tiling method (i.e., spherical/cylindrical/cubic,) or does that just look worse?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:07:22 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 05, 2016, 03:38:51 pm »

Looks like just an overlay of a splatter texture from above.
Okay, so it overlays a bloodsplatter texture on top of the texture of the objects before applying it to the object. That seems like a good way to do it. It looks like each blade of the windmill has a unique blood splatter, though.

Notice the terrible vertical stripes.

Is it possible to use a different texture tiling method (i.e., spherical/cylindrical/cubic,) or does that just look worse?
I thought it looked pretty good. The blood is vertical on some objects because gravity made it slide down there. I'm guessing that had to be specifically coded to do that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:15 pm »

That is totally what happens when a texture isn't wrapped for the object in question.

I am not criticizing, but that's totes what it is. It looks generally fantastic anyway.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55:10 pm »

Yeah, I have two textures that are used for the blood spatters.

A low resolution texture that spans the entire map, where one pixel is one tile. This sets the color and amount of spatter in each tile, with all the spatter colors combined together into a single color and alpha per tile.

Then there's a second texture that's just a noise texture, to make it actually look like spatter, instead of solid blobs of color.

Finally, the spatter is applied onto the upwards facing portions on the tile, with thicker spatters spreading more to the side-ward facing parts of the objects than thinner spatters.

It's possible to use something like triplaner mapping for the noise texture to reduce the vertical striping, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Yes, you need a new version of RemoteFortressReader if you want the blood spatters. A new version is included in the download.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 110