OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 495810 times)

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.12.0 Release!
« Reply #1050 on: October 21, 2016, 07:26:48 pm »

:o

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 21, 2016, 08:30:42 pm »

That looks really cool. Now that you have digging figured out, will it be relatively easy to implement channeling and up/down stairs?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 21, 2016, 09:18:49 pm »

That looks really cool. Now that you have digging figured out, will it be relatively easy to implement channeling and up/down stairs?

Yes. At this point, it's just a ui problem.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 22, 2016, 01:30:26 pm »

I need feedback on these icons.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 22, 2016, 02:22:15 pm »

It takes a moment to decipher them, which however can be done. the stair ones look a bit confusing side by side, but them being that way should be uncommon anyway. Perhaps the down stair slash should go the other way? I can't visualize what that would look like, it might be ugly too.

The bush one I immediately saw as a skull, and spent a while trying to figure out that it was a bush.

The dig and channel designations have the line and dots for clarity whichever direction they are being viewed from, I see that, but I still feel like they should be something more clear. Not sure if channel could have a good looking hole or channel on it though.

Personally I'd almost like using the letter key for the designation, but that may just be me, and wouldn't be great for graphical sets.

Edit: Removing ramps should probably be something different from regular digging, too. This also makes me thing that some of the outside ones might benefit from not being full cubes, especially since things can still walk through them, but I don't know how difficult that is on your end.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:26:08 pm by Poldon »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 22, 2016, 03:08:30 pm »

Seconding the shrubs taking a while to designate, though what I connected them were more like radiation hazard warnings.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 22, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »

That looks good. I like how you differentiated the 'dig' from the 'channel' designations. I'm wondering if it would be helpful to make them a little more different, though. Maybe make the channel designation shaped like a 'V' instead of a 'U'. I think V-shaped channel make sense since channels also function as ramps.

The 'up stair' and 'down stair' tiles were the only ones that confused me.  I interpreted the horizontal line as the current floor and thought the line going up from it was a staircase going up.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 22, 2016, 07:37:58 pm »

Hmm.  Apparently I'm not the only one to find these symbols confusing, even when we have the familiar reference.

So I suggest replacing symbols for the outcome with symbols for the action, typically using the tool.
  • Mining uses a pickaxe icon (as in earlier screenshots)
  • Channelling is a shovel
  • Wood-cutting is a (single-bladed) axe
  • Gathering is a basket
  • Anything to do with stairs uses a steps profile, with a sub-icon to indicate the action.  Example.  If the icon is always 'above' the stairs (and the stairs are shaded, not just a line) it's unambiguous; the use an up/down/double-ended arrow for up/down/up-down stairs, an X for removing them, etc.
  • Removing ramps can use a similar shape to removing stairs, with a right-triangle instead of the steps.
  • Smoothing and engraving can both use a chisel icon.  To distinguish them, add a colour or pattern to engraving.

That's not an exhaustive list, but I think it covers the most common visible designations in a way that inexperienced players will still understand.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: October 22, 2016, 08:15:57 pm »

Using the tool for icons sounds good. Maybe zoom in on the head of the tool to make it easier to see the shape at the end of the handle.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 22, 2016, 09:28:11 pm »

Good idea about the tools.

A lot of people on reddit just want the ascii symbols, but they won't look good when you view them upside down.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: October 22, 2016, 10:33:29 pm »

ASCII symbols are fine for experienced players, but to me the most exciting part of Armok Vision is that it could open up DF for people who would never play with the standard interface (even with tilesets).
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 23, 2016, 02:46:35 am »

Just some problems that I found while playing around with siege-catching.
- falled creatures are showing, but dead are not - it's bad for siege expirience in AV
- bodyparts! - can you make something really simple for begin - something like bleeding meet as an option
- also there are  a lot of bugs with blood and invisible levels - try to test battle underground, for example
- some problems with turning on/off invisible blocks

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: October 23, 2016, 03:07:42 am »

Can you show some pictures of the problems?

I had problem with invisible blocks before, but I thought I fixed it.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 23, 2016, 04:21:29 am »

Here you can see edge of not uploaded sector
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

easykiln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 24, 2016, 12:15:30 pm »

I had difficulty deciphering the symbols, mostly because the first time I saw them they were adjacent and thus just seemed like a mess of lines. PE's suggestion is better I think. Basket might be hard for gathering, maybe just a flower icon or something?

Also, although this is just personal preference, I am not a huge fan of the paper blueprints aesthetic. I think a more modern looking interface that made use of colour would fit with the visual style of Armok Vision better. Sadly I don't know enough to make more specific advice. I was thinking that it might be good to have designations as an overlay on the edges of blocks or a colour tint with the symbol instead of obscuring the space tho.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 110