OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 495767 times)

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.19.0 Release!
« Reply #1530 on: June 29, 2018, 03:01:11 pm »

Can you please add an option to show furniture from unlimited distance? It's sad that constructions fully made of windows, like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

are invisible when the camera is on the edge of the map:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 29, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »

It depends on graphics settings, but I'll make it more tunable.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 15, 2018, 11:14:59 pm »

Following is a copy of my news post on patreon.

One thing I've been wishy washy about for a while now is how I will show all of your dwarfs in a 3d world.
The two options have always been either 3D, or 2D billboard sprites, and the problem plaguing both options has been the fact that Dwarf Fortress has around 700 different unique creatures in the raws, plus any number of procedural ones. This is... not feasible, to say the least, to provide artwork for all of them.
Till now, my solution has been to have detailed sprites for a few commonly seen stuff, like dwarfs, while everything else gets some very low resolution sprites ripped from graphical tilesets that people have made for DF. This results in a lot of glaring inconsistency between creatures that have proper art, and those using placeholders. Then there's the issue that 2D sprites floating around in a 3D world takes care to make it fit in, without looking like, well, floating carboard cutouts.
Going for proper 3D models brings with it similar issues with consistency, since good artists don't work for free, and having a 3D modeled dwarf standing next to a floating 32x32 stylized sprite will look very strange.
Which is what brought me to my current solution, which is a mix of procedural and semi-procedural models.
It's still a work in progress, so I don't yet have any pictures I feel comfortable showing, but the general workflow will be like this:
 1: Have a generator that can make passable models for any creature in the game. It doesn't need to look fantastic, but a user should be able to look at the model that it spits out and go "Yup, that's a tiger."
 2: Take the models for important creatures, such as dwarfs, made by the generator, and refine them manually, where needed, while keeping the art style as similar to the generated creatures as possible.
 3: While running the game, AV will first check for an existing creature model, use it if found, and generate a model on the fly if not.
The models will have a separate 3D object (most likely a rectangular block) for each part defined in the raw files from DF, so that missing limbs, etc, can be shown properly.
These body parts are initially being represented by blocks, but once I have them working correctly, I'll start going through each part and refining the general model for it, to make it look more like the part it's supposed to represent (nose, eye, shin, etc). I will try to make it all as generic as possible, and if something needs to be customized (dwarfs and tigers don't have the same head) I'll use as much contextual information as I can get from the raws themselves, before even looking at the names of the creatures. Easiest example of something I can use is how many stance body parts it has, and what they're connected to. If it's got two stance parts that are both connected to the lower body, with no stance parts directly connected to the upper body, then the creature is humanoid, and can be treated as such; while if there's two stance parts connected to the lower body, and two stance parts connected to the upper body, it can be treated as being a quadruped, and use a different set of models where needed.
Only when the contextual info is used up will I start looking at names and descriptions to gain insight on what models to use. This will most likely be necessary for heads, because they vary the most between different animals, animal people, and were-animals. So a wolf, wolf-man, were-wolf, and wolf-demon, can all use the same wolf head model, just from the name and/or description having the word wolf in it.
Only when all that is exhausted will I go over individual models and see what I need to change for specific creatures. Hopefully it's nothing that needs to be changed at all.
Okay, I lied, here's a work in progress picture:

Keep in mind this is a very early work in progress. There's no textures, or even shapes beyond boxes, and the head is not touched at all, but it's a decent work in process picture, and shows where I'm going with this.
For this model, each part type has a manually defined proportions, set by me, the size set by the Dwarf Fortress raw files, and the positioning relative to the parent set by me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:27:24 pm by Japa »

ScrapHeap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:49 am »

Hello Japa,
Never played DF (not enough time), but I have been following your work for some time now, and I really enjoy the progress that you are making.
If you need software to generate 3d humanoid characters, then I suggest that you should take a look at the makehuman project http://www.makehumancommunity.org/
While aimed at generating human models, it is easy to vary the parameters in such a way that you get fully textured and rigged dwarfs, orcs, goblins, trolls etc.
It also supports clothing. The output meshes will need heavy polygon reduction, but I believe that this is quite easily done nowadays. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:06:01 am by ScrapHeap »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 19, 2018, 12:37:34 pm »

I have looked at it before, but I think it's a little too photorealistic and high quality for Armok Vision.

ScrapHeap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 19, 2018, 10:16:59 pm »

That is what I would have thought as well, until I saw your "preliminary" model.
If I were to build something from scratch, then I would limit myself to something around 200 polygons per character, and no rigging, just separate arm and leg meshes.
Maybe something based upon a basic cone shape. However, this would not solve the problem of creating all other creatures that you need for the game. Heavy polygon reduction of procedurally shaped meshes might therefore be a solution. Maybe using pre-generated keymeshes rather than local rigging.
This video shows some rather neat techniques used to solve similar problems https://youtu.be/l9NX06mvp2E

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 19, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »

My current plan is to have separate meshes per body part, using GPU instancing to duplicate them per character.

There will be a default set of body part meshes that are applied by default to all creatures, with individual creature types having overrides for whichever part types need to look different.

So I will have a generic head model that's applied to everything, but then any creatures that can be figured out to be dog-ish (meaning dogs, as well as dog-men, dog-demons, etc) will have a unique dog head.

The actual art style still remains to be decided, but at the moment it's leaning towards boxy minecrafty models, but that can still easily change.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1538 on: July 21, 2018, 03:04:44 pm »

Hmm, so it’s something akin to a 3D Dwarf Portrait? If I remember correctly there was some discussion on making it 3D a while back, so I suppose this is a continuation of that? Looks pretty sweet already, so I look forward to seeing what more comes out of it.

Also, is that box-hat on top of the generated humanoid’s head its facial features?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 21, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »

That's all his facial features bundled on top of his head.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 23, 2018, 01:17:55 pm »

That's all his facial features bundled on top of his head.

I don't know why this made me giggle.

Also this is all extremely impressive.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 25, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »

I 100% cannot wait for the model generator alone.

The incredible ridiculous creations that the modding community here has created will be displayed in all their three-dimensional nonsensical glory.

Bay12 has such sights to show you.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 26, 2018, 12:10:46 pm »

Since I forgot to link it here...
Metal Gear!?

(Those large, untextured creatures look like mecha.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:13:08 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 26, 2018, 12:38:24 pm »

Spoiler: hmm... (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 110