Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Color trouble.  (Read 1827 times)

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
Color trouble.
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:48:31 pm »

Currently modding in FR dragons and I have found that there's not a SINGLE RGB COLOR CHART for Flight Rising. I am too lazy to poke all the dragons with the eyedropper tool to see exactly what color they are so I need to know if the RGB color affects anything about how it's shown in game.
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Color trouble.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:30:09 am »

Currently modding in FR dragons and I have found that there's not a SINGLE RGB COLOR CHART for Flight Rising. I am too lazy to poke all the dragons with the eyedropper tool to see exactly what color they are so I need to know if the RGB color affects anything about how it's shown in game.
There are a bit more than 100 named colors in the game, each of which has an assigned RGB value.  When the game starts, each of them is matched to one of the 16 display colors in what is almost-but-not-quite a nearest neighbor algorithm.

However, this almost doesn't matter for creatures.  A living creature gets a display color directly from its raws; only severed bodyparts and spilled fluids would care about the named colors.  So basically, just worry about picking a color that seems reasonable for the creature's description page.

On the other hand, if you really want to get your OCD on, you can define your own named colors and a palette of display colors to highlight them.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:05:07 am »

There are a bit more than 100 named colors in the game, each of which has an assigned RGB value.  When the game starts, each of them is matched to one of the 16 display colors in what is almost-but-not-quite a nearest neighbor algorithm.

However, this almost doesn't matter for creatures.  A living creature gets a display color directly from its raws; only severed bodyparts and spilled fluids would care about the named colors.  So basically, just worry about picking a color that seems reasonable for the creature's description page.

On the other hand, if you really want to get your OCD on, you can define your own named colors and a palette of display colors to highlight them.
The problem is that I don't think DF covers ALL the colors.
There are a lot of colors in Flight Rising.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:15:02 am by Pyrefly »
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 04:45:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In case you want to know, you can resize images by entering width=# and height=# in the img tag.
Code: (like so) [Select]
[img height=638 width=638]http://oi61.tinypic.com/2nta237.jpg[/img]
As mentioned, you probably will have to add a few of those colours into the game yourself if you want them directly named.

Also as mentioned, creatures can have colours on a creature-specific or even caste-specific basis with the tags [COLOR] and [CASTE_COLOR]. These define the colour using three arguments. The foreground, the background, and the brightness. This is where the actual display colours are used. This wiki page may help.

Do note that if you plan to make graphics, you can have the game use the image's colours instead of the creature's defined colour. Or you can tell it to fill the image in with the creature's colour, which is more useful when you have a singular creature with multiple castes of different colours.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 05:08:20 pm »

Many of those colors are in the standard list of named colors.  Then copy it into descriptor_color_flightrising.txt and use it as a template to fill in any missing from vanilla.

Don't worry if the RGB value in vanilla doesn't quite match the color wheel.  No one will notice.

As for applying the colors to the creatures, you have different choices depending on the game-meaning of the colors.

Method 1: make one creature with two castes (MALE and FEMALE) if dragons reproduce normally in this setting, or don't specify a caste at all if they're just magical.

In the spot where you designate colors, include something like:

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MAIZE:1:WHITE:1:ICE:1:PLATINUM:1:...]
            [TLCM_NOUN:scales:PLURAL]

The creatures will differ only in color.

Method 2: Work out all the differences at the caste level, and in each caste give a single color option for the scales.  If you want them to breed, you'll need two castes per color (unless certain colors are certain sexes in FR).

Both of the above options allow dragons of any color to breed (if they even have sexes).  The hatchling's color will be one of the parents' in Method 1, and could be any color in Method 2.  If that is a problem:

Method 3: Make a separate creature for each color, with one or two castes as appropriate.  This prevents any cross-breeding, but you'll be unlikely to ever see more than one color on a map.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:23:07 pm »

Don't worry if the RGB value in vanilla doesn't quite match the color wheel.  No one will notice.

bah

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:54:19 pm »

Many of those colors are in the standard list of named colors.  Then copy it into descriptor_color_flightrising.txt and use it as a template to fill in any missing from vanilla.

As for applying the colors to the creatures, you have different choices depending on the game-meaning of the colors.

Method 1: make one creature with two castes (MALE and FEMALE) if dragons reproduce normally in this setting, or don't specify a caste at all if they're just magical.

In the spot where you designate colors, include something like:

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MAIZE:1:WHITE:1:ICE:1:PLATINUM:1:...]
            [TLCM_NOUN:scales:PLURAL]

The creatures will differ only in color.

Method 2: Work out all the differences at the caste level, and in each caste give a single color option for the scales.  If you want them to breed, you'll need two castes per color (unless certain colors are certain sexes in FR).

Both of the above options allow dragons of any color to breed (if they even have sexes).  The hatchling's color will be one of the parents' in Method 1, and could be any color in Method 2.  If that is a problem:

Method 3: Make a separate creature for each color, with one or two castes as appropriate.  This prevents any cross-breeding, but you'll be unlikely to ever see more than one color on a map.
Actually, all castes can be all the colors, EXCEPT the eye colors. I am making different casts for eye colors due to one of the things element determining is eye color (another being the elemental battle stones can only be used on their own elements of dragons, which means no firebreathing on an ice-flight dragon. I am also using castes to separate 'species' of dragons, due to the fact that it Flight Rising you can breed a fae (a dragon that is considered gigantic for it's kind at a length higher than 1.5-1.6 meters) and an imperial (averaging about 28 meters in length) with no repercussions other then the fact that when the eggs hatch you have a 99.9 percent chance for all the eggs to be faes.

I may also need to make new caste for all Tertiary genes.
Which means caste making will go like this: starting with one,
1*2 genders = 2.
2*12 dragons = 24
24*11 elements = nevermind I am just gonna make the dragons their 'starting' element.

I was not expecting the number to be that big! Abort elements! Abort!
Hold on while I sort this out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:56:06 pm »

My maximum was 2160 castes, which is an order of magnitude more than you've got there. It can be done, you just need to be a badass text editor.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »

I did something similar once in a Rubble addon (but with reactions), Rubble ended up generating over 10000 of them (which made generation REALLY slow), I never did try the raws in DF, so I have no idea how that many reactions would effect it's performance...

Anyway, if you do want to do the full list write a script to generate the castes, much faster than making them all by hand :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:06:17 pm »

Or use creature variations.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository