Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Color trouble.

(1/2) > >>

Pyrefly:
Currently modding in FR dragons and I have found that there's not a SINGLE RGB COLOR CHART for Flight Rising. I am too lazy to poke all the dragons with the eyedropper tool to see exactly what color they are so I need to know if the RGB color affects anything about how it's shown in game.

Dirst:

--- Quote from: Pyrefly on December 12, 2014, 11:48:31 pm ---Currently modding in FR dragons and I have found that there's not a SINGLE RGB COLOR CHART for Flight Rising. I am too lazy to poke all the dragons with the eyedropper tool to see exactly what color they are so I need to know if the RGB color affects anything about how it's shown in game.

--- End quote ---
There are a bit more than 100 named colors in the game, each of which has an assigned RGB value.  When the game starts, each of them is matched to one of the 16 display colors in what is almost-but-not-quite a nearest neighbor algorithm.

However, this almost doesn't matter for creatures.  A living creature gets a display color directly from its raws; only severed bodyparts and spilled fluids would care about the named colors.  So basically, just worry about picking a color that seems reasonable for the creature's description page.

On the other hand, if you really want to get your OCD on, you can define your own named colors and a palette of display colors to highlight them.

Pyrefly:

--- Quote from: Dirst on December 13, 2014, 12:30:09 am ---
--- Quote from: Pyrefly on December 12, 2014, 11:48:31 pm ---Currently modding in FR dragons and I have found that there's not a SINGLE RGB COLOR CHART for Flight Rising. I am too lazy to poke all the dragons with the eyedropper tool to see exactly what color they are so I need to know if the RGB color affects anything about how it's shown in game.

--- End quote ---
There are a bit more than 100 named colors in the game, each of which has an assigned RGB value.  When the game starts, each of them is matched to one of the 16 display colors in what is almost-but-not-quite a nearest neighbor algorithm.

However, this almost doesn't matter for creatures.  A living creature gets a display color directly from its raws; only severed bodyparts and spilled fluids would care about the named colors.  So basically, just worry about picking a color that seems reasonable for the creature's description page.

On the other hand, if you really want to get your OCD on, you can define your own named colors and a palette of display colors to highlight them.

--- End quote ---
The problem is that I don't think DF covers ALL the colors.
Spoiler: I WASN'T EXPECTING THE IMAGE TO BE THIS BIG OH MY GOSH (click to show/hide)There are a lot of colors in Flight Rising.

BlackFlyme:

--- Quote from: Pyrefly on December 13, 2014, 10:05:07 am ---Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--- End quote ---

In case you want to know, you can resize images by entering width=# and height=# in the img tag.

--- Code: (like so) ---[img height=638 width=638]http://oi61.tinypic.com/2nta237.jpg[/img]
--- End code ---

As mentioned, you probably will have to add a few of those colours into the game yourself if you want them directly named.

Also as mentioned, creatures can have colours on a creature-specific or even caste-specific basis with the tags [COLOR] and [CASTE_COLOR]. These define the colour using three arguments. The foreground, the background, and the brightness. This is where the actual display colours are used. This wiki page may help.

Do note that if you plan to make graphics, you can have the game use the image's colours instead of the creature's defined colour. Or you can tell it to fill the image in with the creature's colour, which is more useful when you have a singular creature with multiple castes of different colours.

Dirst:
Many of those colors are in the standard list of named colors.  Then copy it into descriptor_color_flightrising.txt and use it as a template to fill in any missing from vanilla.

Don't worry if the RGB value in vanilla doesn't quite match the color wheel.  No one will notice.

As for applying the colors to the creatures, you have different choices depending on the game-meaning of the colors.

Method 1: make one creature with two castes (MALE and FEMALE) if dragons reproduce normally in this setting, or don't specify a caste at all if they're just magical.

In the spot where you designate colors, include something like:

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MAIZE:1:WHITE:1:ICE:1:PLATINUM:1:...]
            [TLCM_NOUN:scales:PLURAL]

The creatures will differ only in color.

Method 2: Work out all the differences at the caste level, and in each caste give a single color option for the scales.  If you want them to breed, you'll need two castes per color (unless certain colors are certain sexes in FR).

Both of the above options allow dragons of any color to breed (if they even have sexes).  The hatchling's color will be one of the parents' in Method 1, and could be any color in Method 2.  If that is a problem:

Method 3: Make a separate creature for each color, with one or two castes as appropriate.  This prevents any cross-breeding, but you'll be unlikely to ever see more than one color on a map.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version