Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So, I'm in completely over my head here...  (Read 4077 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: So, I'm in completely over my head here...
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 01:33:37 am »

Royalty free music, if you're into that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 04:12:10 am »

Recording music might require renting a studio.

Doubt it. A second-hand crate amp/mixer shouldn't break the bank, and connectors to a laptop are pretty cheap too. Heck, you could skip the amp and just use the out jack of a pair of speakers into the mic jack of a computer, and free recording software isn't had to find. Audacity, for instance.

Good luck and PTW.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 04:26:17 am »

Yes, that's the detail I wanted :P

I think that you can definitely do this on your own. Perhaps look at Pygame?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 01:33:48 pm »

Recording music might require renting a studio.

Doubt it. A second-hand crate amp/mixer shouldn't break the bank, and connectors to a laptop are pretty cheap too. Heck, you could skip the amp and just use the out jack of a pair of speakers into the mic jack of a computer, and free recording software isn't had to find. Audacity, for instance.

Good luck and PTW.
I have audacity, and Rocksmith came with a 1/4" to USB cable and lets me change my guitar into a shitload of instruments (if I can figure out the settings and tunings. I've done several organ types [pipe organ, church organ, et al] and banjo,) on top of all the noises a guitar can make on its own.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 05:18:52 am »

So toward which language, library and tutorial resource are you leaning?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 12:50:08 pm »

Probably GameMaker. I got the pro version for free when it went on "sale" a while back, and haven't touched it yet. Watched a tutorial on youtube and the code looks a bit like Java, which I should be able to pick up after a little struggle.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:17 pm »

Started some Game Maker tutorials. I forgot how gorram terrifying code is.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 11:48:48 am »

Hey, all. I'm back in over my head again. I've gotten to the point where:

A) There's a little box on screen that can move around with the arrow/WASD keys. It has health, manna and ki, but can't use them yet.
B) Can switch between maps (although the way I did it is hacky and ugly, I'm sure,)
C) I kind of understand a little bit (not really) how to generate a random dungeon but don't know where to put the code.
D) I think I understand global variables again.

Next step is getting the random dungeon floors running. I think I understand how to hand make them, I think, but that's not what I want. I want most of them to be different every time, except certain ones, like floor 1, 10, 25 and a few others.

Soon, I'm going to implement a basic inventory, character sheet, random encounters (ye olde final fantasy style,) and a couple of basic block-monsters. I think I understand things like healing, but that's later.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 12:07:21 pm »

Sounds like you're doing fine?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 12:45:22 pm »

Wow, I completely forgot to ask a question.

Where the hell do I put the random dungeon code to make it generate starting on floor 2? I want to hand draw floor 1.

Also, how do I make the dungeon floors say the same (persistence?) while you're actively in the dungeon and then wipe them clean when you leave?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:54:40 pm by MaximumZero »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 03:51:42 pm »

To load a preset floor check what floor the player's entering and if it's one that's pregenerated just load it instead of generating.

For persistent floors keep a list of floors that you empty only when you leave the dungeon.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 03:29:52 am »

For persistent floors keep a list of floors that you empty only when you leave the dungeon.
Sure. How do I do this? I'm not sure how to save anything to anything else at all, otherwise I'd just toss them in a 2d array and be done with it, I think. I'm not super sure that that even makes sense.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 04:16:05 am »

I'd just toss them in a 2d array and be done with it, I think. I'm not super sure that that even makes sense.
That should work.

Basically have an array of floor objects where the index of the array corresponds to the floor number. So the first floor object in the array has the data about the first floor, the second floor object in the array has the data about the second floor etc.
The floor object itself holds the matrix (2D array) of actual floor data.

Make the random dungeon code modular so that when calling the Generate() function it will return a floor object. You then place this floor object into the previously mentioned array.
When making the hand-drawn floor 1, store it as a floor object which you place into the array.
As long as the game is running, the array and its floor objects will stay in memory.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 09:07:03 pm »

Does anyone think grid based movement is super important? I'm planning on doing semi-random encounters, in the vein of SaGa Frontier. Given that the enemies should chase you, if I can figure that out, I'd imagine it's going to be important to change direction quickly, which means either a very small grid square or free movement. Any thoughts?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 08:25:18 pm »

Alrighty, all, I've hit a brick wall. I have the basics of generating random dungeons and treasure chests and monsters (I think. It seems to work okay, based on the tutorial I did.)

I want to do two things in particular: Save the randomly generated floor to a position in an array, and initialize the array when leaving the tower/dungeon. I have absolutely no idea how to do either, and the thread title is applicable again.

For now I'll work on something else, but this is a major component to the game that I have no idea how to get done and I'm freaking out a little bit.

Pages: 1 [2] 3