Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode companions  (Read 3433 times)

mndfreeze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode companions
« on: December 15, 2014, 01:34:56 pm »

So I just started laying adventure mode the other day as I was getting a little bored with my mostly maxed out fortress.  Love that I can play the same generated world and even start in my own fortress. woo, though it sure would have been nice to know a bunch of those nasty blade and spike ball traps I had were still going to be active, before stepping on them multiple times :(

doh!

Anywho, I FINALLY found this random human spearmen who would join up with me (not sure why all these elves and humans are in my damn dwarf fortress!) but I cant find much information on the wiki about companions.  I get that I dont control em and all that, and they follow basic dwarfy rules about equipment so I at least managed to get him a nice master work steel spear, a mail shirt and some boots, and he used his own large steel gear for the rest, but do companions need to eat and drink?  Should I get him a backpack and bag or arrow and a crossbow?   I cant seem to find a way to view the companions skills or stats either so other then his name I have no idea if he can do more.

mndfreeze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode companions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »

*sigh* not that it matters much, adventure mode just keeps randomly crashing on me when I'm finally outside my fortress trying to travel to another area.  And the quicksave script in DFhack doesnt seem to work for adventure mode, so saving is a bit if an annoyance how it exits the game and all :(

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:47 pm »

Companions don't need to eat or drink. I don't think you can see his skills anywhere, but spearman is his highest weapon skill.
In all likelihood, he will be terrible with a crossbow, and dual-wielding confuses the AI sometimes. Best to leave him to his spear. I don't think he'll need a backpack either, unless you want to offload your heavier stuff to him.

A word of advice: companions are a bit stupid about crossing rivers. The safest way to get to the other side without him drowning is to swim/jump/climb over as fast as possible and keep on running until you can fast travel. Don't look back to see how your spearman is doing, he'll be with you in fast travel even if he didn't technically make it over the river.

Oh yeah, and about those traps: you can spot them with a high observer skill. Once you see a trap, you can step on it without triggering it. If you suspect traps in an area, you can wait a few turns to make finding them more likely.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:00:10 pm »

...I have no idea if he can do more.

Yes he can do more, he can be an effective meat shield when not bumbling through the forest chasing shiny baubles!