Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The story of a Greed and Ferocity. The 'Solo' Dwarven Metropolitan Area Attempt  (Read 898 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After several attempts of Dwarven Metropolitan Area playthrough I am here once again. Apparently the idea of DMA became a Strange Mood of me. Feels like I am posessed by unknown forces and withdraw from society every now and then. Luckily not going Stark Raving Mad though :)

The idea is simple in it's core: an open fortress with structured society, A city with majority of population living and labouring beyond city walls, A castle for most noble dwarves and their most loyal protectors. Gameplay limited by feasibility and unlimited through imagination and role play.

This time I'll try a solo approach, since I honestly cannot predict for how long will I be playing DF or even stay online this time. Although if you are up for it - I can name dwarves in your honor and can even acknowledge your rp in this fort. Just do not grow too attached, as I am known for a tendency to vanish for a few months every now and again.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is my first go on DF40, so I'll first start an adventurer and will try to gather some intelligence. Maybe find a suitable location and will overall check what is going on. Any ideas on what can an adventurer do before starting a fort are welcome.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am a fortress guard with a wide range of useless skills and pretty standard attributes. And apparently I had a hit to the head on a sparring session, so I forgot where I was going to. Oh well. Will try to figure out.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently the fortress I found myself in once was rich and thriving, but now it is an empty, desolate place. Strangely enough I cannot find any traces of evacuation or other downfall. It looks as if all dwarves were just removed. Their stuff is still stuffed in their cabinets.

Even worse is that I cannot find the way out. One one side of the appartment block I am searching I picked up some noises behind the wall. I wonder what might it be

Spoiler: "creepy noises" (click to show/hide)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's always best to explore the periphery of any level you're on to find out how far it extends in any one direction - with the border defined, you can then more properly explore the interior spaces and find the ramped passage to the surface.  More than likely, the couple dozen dwarves living in the fortress are all grouped together in one to three rooms.  (Toady's dwarves don't wander all over the place like ours do in Fortress Mode.  Well, not unless they're new adventurers who never seem to spawn anywhere near everyone else...)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

it is very wise of you to embark on a game that doesn't involve me.. I'm convinced I'm cursed to kill succesion games
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness