Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shorast Calmlanced - A Line Land Tale  (Read 1485 times)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shorast Calmlanced - A Line Land Tale
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:27 pm »

(Check out Line Land here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149167.0)

My name is Shorast Calmlanced.  I'm writing this journal not out of overwhelming self confidence or sense of impending doom about my future, but simply because its unbelievable.  If you would have told me this was to be my future, I would have given a hearty laugh and raised my mug to you.  If you insisted further, I'd have gotten you run out of the village for lunacy.  I swear upon my honor and the honor of my ancestors that what follows is the simple truth, no more and no less.  It all started with a dream....

I lived my life for the first few decades of adulthood much like my brethren here in Workedclasps, with one difference.  While the others were happiest when they were inside their halls made of dirt smoking quarry bush leaves, I preferred being outside in the world.  I was always the one chosen for woodcutting and outdoor plant harvesting duties, and was quite content doing so.  In the spring of 1050, my life changed forever when I lay down on my straw mattress and went to sleep.  My eyes snapped open and I found myself standing alone in a field in a moonless starry night.  Before me stood a dwarven woman who was both glowing and shrouded in darkness at the same time.  She raised her arm and pointed to my left while a voice whispered to me from within my own mind.

Shorast, you are one of the very few who see that the path your fellow dwarves has chosen is not how it must be.  Instead of digging deep into the earth for the ores and gems of the world or traveling under my skies seeking adventure, they huddle just beneath the dirt and smoke their leaves until their brains collapse.  This is not, must not be your fate.  Your destiny lies far to the east, across the plains and cursed mountains to what lies beyond.  You may fall before completing this task, but it is a journey that must be made in order to ensure the changes needed for dwarfkind.

My power to influence the dwarven world wanes, but what little power I can spare will be used to help you.  Take my gift of this shield made from fine dwarven steel and undertake the journey.  It alone will not ensure your success, as the trip is so perilous that it could claim the life of any of the greatest legends of your kind.  Train yourself well and be sure to gird yourself properly.  Those silks you are accustomed to would certainly spell your death.

Remember, I have placed my faith in you, just as you have believed in me.

I woke up with a start.  Laying across the way, propped up beside my trusty bronze axe was a steel shield, just as in my dream.  My surprised shout woke my fellow dwarves, and the first day of my new, completely unexpected life began with a highly appropriate mix of doubt and wonder. 

(Its been a long time since I played Adventure mode.  I totally forgot that I needed to put a point into Reading.  Can I add that in somehow?)

And here we are in all of the glorious dwarven dirt moundy glory:

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shorast Calmlanced - A Line Land Tale
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:20:14 am »

The first day of my new life began with an hour of explanations to everyone in our little village.  Everyone was rightfully skeptical about the whole thing, but no one could explain the shield.  They eventually agreed to let me use any spare leather items we had.  We are not warriors, so it wasnt much of anything.  Better than silk though.

After upgrading what I could, I spent the rest of the morning getting a refresher on the current troubles in the area.

While its nice to know all of these plagues upon our people, I'm also a realist.  It will be quite some time, if ever, that I will be able to help our people with such mighty adversaries.  Titans, Necromancer Towers, a Roc?  I was a woodcutter yesterday for Armok's sake.  My first target was a slight step down from these, namely a tree a few steps outside of town.  I stacked up a small pile of rocks and practiced chucking them at the tree.  I could only stand the monotony of it all for a few hours, but at least I became pretty decent at hitting it.  The biggest upside is that if I ever get my hands on a proper ranged weapon, I'll at least have some idea of how to aim it properly.

After my warmup with the tree, I could feel the blood flowing through my veins.  I hungered for battle.  I must fight!

One step at a time boys, one step at a time.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:34 am »

No way to add reading back in outside of a dfusion swap to a different character > gm-editor your first to add reading > dfusion swap back. It doesn't work when you just add it yourself to a controlled character, but it does work when added to npcs who you assume control over.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:56 am »

Yeah the inability to read is going to seriously hamper your efforts to learn the history of the land.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:56:42 pm »

I spent the rest of the day and all of the next wrestling cavy boars and rabbits. 

At first I was getting scratches and bruises all over, but with enough practice I began to get better at blocking attacks with my shield and dodging the weak swipes they offered at me.

The old tales always spoke of true dwarven warriors getting stronger from eating the hearts of their enemies.  I dont know if its true, but I have been keeping the hearts of any of the small animals I attack.  A dwarf has to eat, so why not?

The local dwarves have been less than impressed with my efforts. 

After wandering between the nearby villas and meeting my fellow dwarves, I'm less than impressed with all of us.  I haven't found any actual warriors other than myself.  Hell, even the queen lives in a slightly bigger dirt mound than the rest of her subjects.

A miner by trade, Kel Blazedgems rules the Blockade of Enchantments here in the village of Passagedike.  The most notable thing that ever happened here apparently was a tiger attack over a thousand years ago.  Thats a nicer way of saying that absolutely nothing happens around here.  Regardless, I'm feeling the pull towards the east.  I've delayed my quest long enough with the small animal training.  Its time to move on and find a warrior or two to join in my journey.

Well this isnt good.  I saw the large stone structure as I was traveling and wanted to sneak by to get a better look, but apparently there were a couple necromancers out for a stroll around their tower.  Thankfully for me, they both started running away at the sight of me.  The captain headed south towards the tower entrance, while his companion darted out from the trees and sprinted east.  Since the necromancers have troubled the surrounding villages, the chance to reduce their number by one was too much for me to pass up.  I sprinted to follow him to the east and faced my first real combat.  I could feel the blood pounding in my veins as I took my first swing!

Unfortunately for him (and very fortunate for me!), my opponent was no warrior.  He had always depended on his minions to do his fighting for him.  My first swing took off his right arm.  Frighteningly, he kept the presence of mind to instantly reanimate his own arm.  My second swing cleaved his head from his shoulders, while I immediately focused my attention on the newly animated arm.  One good kick and punch combo stilled the foul abomination.

My first real kill is under my belt.  Morul Coglek the necromancer.  I'll never forget this moment.  However, I could hear the captain alerting the tower to my presence.  The moans of the various undead were all the motivation I needed to continue my sprint eastward.  Perhaps one day I will return to clear the tower of this evil, but not today.  Today I continue my journey...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neverposted...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »

redacted
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii