Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119873 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)
« Reply #615 on: February 12, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »

Summary is fully done. ranking took a variety of things into account, and the humans suffered a pretty severe penalty for having no broker due to death. Based on strength of the forts I would probably rank them as follows: Succubi, Orcs, Kobolds (well supplied but ill defended), Warlocks, Hermit, Humans, Gnomes, Dwarves. I only rank dwarves last because of the chaos that was impending with two werewolves/soldiers in the fort and the imminent spiral.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 12, 2015, 11:23:20 pm »

That last Warlock post was absolutely awesome. I laughed. I usually don't do that. Good job.

Thanks! Which part did you like the most?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:48 pm »

Oh my God, these warlocks, man. They're just... SO DUMB. You wouldn't normally expect this level of stupidity from a magic user. I don't know.
This made me laugh more than it should, but the whole thing was pretty good.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 13, 2015, 01:01:10 am »

WARLOCK Summer of 35 (Part 1)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Hematite, 35

I am told that summer has begun today. Doesn't really feel any different. You know, I wasn't aware that the Overlord kept track of such things. Maybe there's a bit more to him after all. He has layers. Like an onion. Both have a hidden facet or two, and the smell of both makes you cry. Seriously, this guy needs a bath or something...

Construction continues, etc., etc. Sometimes I don't understand why I even write this.

Why am I even still here? I'm not in a phylactery, and there's no danger of it in the future, since I've set the Soul Syphons to ignore me and I doubt that any of these assholes are competent enough to set it back. I could leave whenever I want.

I'll have to think on this.

2nd Hematite, 35

I can not, in fact, leave whenever I want. I appear to be confined to an arbitrary, roughly square area,  presumably until my year of apparently enforced Overseeing is up.

Well, that's disappointing.

I have once again modified the plans for Project Other Pylon to include walls on the second floor. This way, enemies with ranged weapons can't pick off all of the zombies when they rush back and forth on their quest to pick up microscopic pieces of trash and put them down again in a random location, only for some other zombie to pick it up again and repeat the process. Or at least, that's what's going on according to the Overlord.

I think I've established by now that he probably isn't a reliable source, but he's also the only source. I take what I can get.

But I digress.

My other big project, the dam across the river, is also going well. It's close to halfway across now. I'm sure it'll be done before the end of the year.

To make that a bit more evident, here's another drawing.

5th Hematite, 35

The Overlord is touching my Graveyard.

I don't know how I feel about that.

11th Hematite, 35

Project Other Pylon is complete. Well, most of it. The important parts.

Okay, so, what shall I do now?

Do... we have any glass?

Yeah, there's a couple items running around, but nothing special.

Well, I know what we're doing next.

There's sand scattered around everywhere, but this cave appears to be the biggest concentration of it.

Project Glass Factory begins.

It will require miners.

I... think we have miners.

Weren't they skeletons or something?

And don't those just go out of control and mindlessly wander after a while?

Fuck.

OOC: I can't even find skeletons on the unit list. The fuck?

12th Hematite, 35

Oh, the humanity... Warlockity? Whatever... Project Glass Factory is killed before it even gets started.

Well, back to the drawing board.

Ooh, I know! Add on to the "tower"!

I'm going to make a fourth floor, and a fifth, and a sixth, and I'll trap the Overlord on the seventh so he'll stop touching my graveyard, and I'll quarantine Only Competent Necromancer and He Who Builds Graveyards on the eighth so they don't catch whatever made everyone else stupid...

Project Fourth Floor (And Beyond?) begins.

21st Hematite, 35

Holy shit! There is a miner!

Project Glass Factory rises from the grave! It is now Zombie Project Glass Factory! It will continue to eventually create pointless glass items for the "tower" far into the future, when it will eventually be destroyed by a dragon named Steve.

Steve will be a very unhappy dragon, for his parents will decide to name him Steve as a calculated insult to the humans. The humans will respond by sending their strongest adventurer, who will subsequently lightly thwap them to death with an Adamantine Balaclava. Steve will have to admit that he will have no idea what a Balaclava is, but will think that it is some kind of musical instrument.

The first ever musical instrument he will ever encounter will be an artifact glass tuba.

I think you know where I'm going with this.

-----

OOC: This is all I got done today. Figured I'd go ahead and post it before I got (too) tired and started spewing (even more) random bullshit. Will do more later.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #619 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:33 pm »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm online again. Was stuck 90h in a train.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 16, 2015, 02:46:28 am »

Wait, what? Heck of a long train ride.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 16, 2015, 04:06:02 am »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm online again. Was stuck 90h in a train.

After staying this long in a train, walking sideways must be a joy.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:06 pm »

So, after Murphy took a look at my schedule before bursting out laughing and grabbing dynamite, I can no longer continue this.

Here's the save.

I'm writing something up as a consolation, but it may take a while.

Sorry.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #623 on: February 23, 2015, 08:46:43 pm »

Murphy who?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 25, 2015, 11:52:45 pm »

☼Kobolds☼ Redux

2nd Moonstone: While making the entire Wall out of pure glass would be much more impressive, I’ve begun using our newly discovered clay reserves to supplement them.

4th Moonstone: The Chaste Choppers are now all Witche[r]s and the newest Druid recruit begins his meditation. I shudder to think of the fate of the enemies who will have this magical power wielded against them.

12th Moonstone: I send our Thief out to steal Metal from the Dwarves. Instead, he brings back rocks. Sigh.

21st Moonstone: The whispering is getting worse. They’re all conspiring behind my back, I can FEEL it. I forge some new bloodsteel scourges for the Lascivious Lashes. The ringing of my hammer on anvil nearly drowns them out. Nearly.

25th Moonstone: Our Thief uncovers a Dwarven blueprint for a Metallurgist. To build it, we’ll need another anvil and some iron. I have some iron doodads melted down and some miscellaneous bars melted into a makeshift anvil.

4th Opal: The Metallurgist is built. Most of the alloys it allows us to make are pointless, fit only for ornamentation or of similar composition to bronze. But, with steel and silver, we can make MITHRIL.  Meanwhile, progress on the Wall goes well, mostly thanks to the new influx of clay bricks.

6th Opal:
At my usual place at the top of the tower, so as best to avoid the whisperers, I spot something unusual.

This could be a problem. I order the entire military mobilized. Aura of kindness or not, this thing is FAR from friendly.

10th Opal: The fight, despite the superior size and strength of the Hill Titan, is one-sided. The militia entangle the Hill Titan completely in webs and roots and then get down to business with their mithril weapons. The odd artifact turret being worn by the militia’s leader strikes the final blow, its oddly dense missile tearing through skull and brain like paper. I order the military to stand down and that the Titan corpse be brought inside to be butchered. There’s quite a bit of meat on that thing, as well as a substantial shell.

20th Opal: The Rains of Iridmedtob now finally have enough blowdarts to be effective. The whisperers have upped their campaign. It’ll only take one short sharp shove to make them devolve into open mockery. I sleep at the top of my tower more often than not nowadays. The whispering can’t follow me up there. I have our Thief start stealing wood again, we need more if it to fuel our furnaces.

25th Opal: The Titan has been butchered, revealing as odd a biology within as without. For example, it has five hearts. Five. It seems unfinished, as if someone tacked a lizard onto a crab onto something else and then mixed in a couple elephants for flavour.

1st Obsidian: Using a plan stolen from the centaurs along with some logs, I order a Tattoo Parlour built. Because why not.

7th Obsidian: The whisperers have begun turning even my supporters against me. They call for me to be stripped of my power and a true representative of the people appointed. Asmoth and his fellow Druid are the first to receive the new tattoos, as some kind of Druidic symbol or another.

10th Obsidian: I send the Thief out to steal from the Werewolves. Their knowledge of animal breeding and training, while not exactly objectively motivated, is impressive. Instead of their secrets, he brought back… something else. I don’t care what anybody else says, that THING is NOT meat.

12th Obsidian: Some Gnomes have showed up, toting a comical assortment of vaguely weapon-shaped objects. I think they’re trying to menace us. We’re under siege, I guess?

As tempting as it is to kill them with the Drowning Chamber or even their own pilfered Thunder Coil, our militia outnumbers them 18 to 15 and has better magic, weaponry, armour and training. It will be a massacre.

16th Obsidian: The Gnomes are finally closing in on the Westgate. The Rains of Iridmedtob let loose a halfhearted volley of blowdarts, dealing a few minor injuries to the invaders.

The real battle, once joined, is over in minutes. The entangling roots and webs of our Witche[r]s keep them restrained and the lightly armoured Gnomes are butchered by our mithril and bloodsteel armaments. We suffered no injuries.

17th Obsidian: There is no celebration of the battle, if you could even call it that. The whisperers speak of dark sorceries used on innocent nature-loving Gnomes. Even my greatest triumph is diluted by the whisperers now. I seldom leave my tower now, as its isolation helps me forget about the whisperers.

21st Obsidian: They don’t even bother whispering anymore. My tower is a pitiful refuge. I’ve been up here near a day, and it doesn’t help any. The village chief came up, to talk with me. He urged me to comply, to give in. He wheedled, persuaded and bribed. And then he whispered. He shouldn’t have whispered. All it took was a short sharp shove.

The journal ends here

Details of the Sixth Old Druidic Trial, an engraved bone slab
Amongst those who were present, there was the accused, a Metalsmith named Arcvasti Miserycalled, Asmoth, the Archdruid and presiding judge and his brother Druid Shononi, present as a witness. The scales were forged of copper by a Salamander-sign child, in accordance with the designs of old. First placed on the scales was the corpse of the Chief Arcvasti had murdered. Arcvasti then placed a block of glass[Symbolizing his part in building the wall], a bar of bloodsteel[Symbolizing his work as a Metalsmith] and a mechanism[Symbolizing his role in the construction of the Thunder Coil and Drowning Chamber], balancing the scales. To retort, Asmoth piled ash[Symbolizing the Metalsmith’s disregard for nature] and blood[Symbolizing those the Elves and Gnomes he butchered while they were helpless] on the scales, tipping them once more. In response, Arcvasti put the skull of the Hill Titan on the scales. The scales, overburdened by all that was on them, broke. According to the Old Law of the Druids, Asmoth stripped the accused of all power, consigning them to life as a normal Metalsmith from now on. Arcvasti was also tattooed on the forehead, to forever mark him as a murderer and oathbreaker.

Right. Finally done my Year 3.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 26, 2015, 12:40:16 pm »

Okay. My turn has begun... I guess. Nobody's on the list and I asked for the turn and Meph said yes so... I guess it's my turn now?
If so MY BODY IS READY because most probably I'll not know how half of the things in the camp work. I could look it up in the manual but... Where's the !!FUN!! that? I'll figure something out.

EDIT: Oh, so THAT is what they call and FPS death.
DOUBLE EDIT: No, wait a minute, wait... This is actually running allright!
Oh, my Lord this is actually running well?! That means that in the laggy forts I've been into it was moslty the blood, vomit and gore the things that caused lag and not the amount of dwarves... Interesting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:44:11 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 26, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »

Nice turn Arcvasti :D

Oh, my Lord this is actually running well?! That means that in the laggy forts I've been into it was moslty the blood, vomit and gore the things that caused lag and not the amount of dwarves... Interesting.

Number of dwarves and other creatures definitely matters, but a lot of their lag comes from pathfinding.  It can help a lot if the layout of your fort is simple and/or you wall off vacant mines and use pathing priority settings.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #628 on: February 26, 2015, 01:54:08 pm »

The giant river helps, too. :D

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 26, 2015, 02:20:12 pm »

Yeah, I played the majority of my turn at 6-12 FPS. The river + a bajillion kobolds all pathing at once is too much for my poor netbook. I ended up spamming clean-all in DFhack quite a bit to keep it from getting too bad.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43