Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119793 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Lets GO! Year 1 started.
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2014, 07:25:04 am »

IT WON'T STOP FREEZING UP. FOUR FORTS I HAVE TRIED NOW. WHY. WHY DO YOU HURT ME WHEN I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DF?
Do you mean crashes? I cant remember anyone saying that Df freezes. Did you use quicksave? Do you use the current version, 6.2? What OS?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2014, 07:27:46 am »

It just freezes up and won't do anything. I guess that's crashing. Using the current version on Windows 7. Trying to quicksave, but every time I try to save and exit it crashes.

EDIT: And other times, sometimes. Question, is the 'Current' folder in the 'Saves' folder meant to have anything in it? I looked in there and there are a couple of loose files.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2014, 08:03:58 am »

It just freezes up and won't do anything. I guess that's crashing. Using the current version on Windows 7. Trying to quicksave, but every time I try to save and exit it crashes.

EDIT: And other times, sometimes. Question, is the 'Current' folder in the 'Saves' folder meant to have anything in it? I looked in there and there are a couple of loose files.

On WIN7 crashes should be the screen going pale with that 'we're looking for a solution' box. Does the dfhack terminal shows something because the only freezes I had is when I intentionally ran crazy long scripts.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2014, 09:42:03 am »

The dfhack terminal crashes as well.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2014, 09:54:23 am »

I have no idea what you are doing, but it sounds like its not a problem of the mod. Otherwise many more people would report it, and I'd find lots of PMs in my mailbox. Are you sure that you have a clean install and no errorlog?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2014, 11:22:02 am »

The Hermit - 31 Year, Summer

8th Hematite, 31. Early summer.
Summer began with moving boulders around the cave. Now I have enough to make some furniture.

13th Hematite, 31. Early summer.
After all boulders were moved away from my rooms, I decided to do a bit of archaeology. I took several boulders and spent a couple of days studying them. I managed to obtain four figurines and an amulet. All of them are badly preserved. Though, one of the figurines is amazingly intact. I am sure it is an image of Usen the Bulwark of searching, the deity of generosity, sacrifice and charity. I am very surprised that somebody except me believes in his existence. Considering the amount of time this figurine spent buried in stone, I can be quite sure the author of this figurine is long dead.

18th Hematite, 31. Early summer.
Archaeology sure was fun, but I still need more furniture, so I’ll lock myself up in mason’s workshop for a week and finally finish with it. After that I am planning to smooth walls and floors. If I am to stay here for a long time, I should make this place beautiful and comfortable.

10th Malachite, 31. Mid-summer.
Well, it took almost a month, but I finally have all the furniture I need finished. It seems I am getting better and better in masonry. Almost every piece of furniture I create is at least well-crafted now. I should get to smoothing the walls now.

25th Malachite, 31. Mid-summer.
I’ve almost finished with the walls on the masons floor. Main floor is the next. Then I’ll think of building a separate room for The Dice to lock it there. Though it is now pretty safe lieing on a display stand next to my room, I still feel it’s influence.

2nd Galena, 31. Late summer.
Today I woke up and saw a nith right next to my bed. It’s time for The Great Nith Hunt. I shall get rid of every little vermin-like creature. Now I’ll go grab my sword.

3rd Galena, 31. Late summer.
Chasing one of those niths I left the cave. On the horizon I saw several figures. When I’ve reached the place, they vanished. I was quite upset, but then I found a battle axe and a bone dice there, and decided to keep them. But first, kill the niths!

4th Galena, 31. Late summer.
I am writing here, though it’s already 12th Galena. It was a day, when I slew the first Nith during The Great Nith Hunt. It took some time to chase it, but when I got near everything had been done in seconds. I cut it into three pieces.

12th Galena, 31. Late summer.
The Great Nith Hunt has totally failed. One corpse for nine days is too little. I obviously need to do something else. Think I’ll try myself in jewelry now. I’ve seen several jade clusters on the lower floors of my cave.

14th Galena, 31. Late summer.
Remembered that I have no pick to mine. Decided to make a new shovel, but found no bones. The only option was to capture a live animal and butcher it. I was lucky that time. Found a bull calf. Don’t know how it got here, but it will obviously be very helpful.

23rd Galena, 31. Late summer.
Having a new bone shovel, I finally can mine those jade clusters I’ve mentioned before. In addition, I’ve decided to mine several new rooms for my future possible hobbies.

24th Galena, 31. Late summer.
Exploring the cave, I’ve discovered lots of malachite bearing rock. Seems that after jewelry I’ll try myself in metalworking.

27th Galena, 31. Late summer.
In addition to jade, I’ve also mined a couple of rock crystals. Lower in the cave I’ve discovered cassiterite bearing rock and even some living stone. Should take closer look on it later.

28th Galena, 31. Late summer.
Decided to wait with gem cutting till autumn. For now, I am going to smooth walls in new rooms before I build something in them. Niths came back, but now I have no time to deal with them. I dream that one day I’ll try myself in mechanics and trapping. If niths survive until then, I’ll definitely get them caged.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44:52 pm »

☼A steamy summer☼ - Succubi

The orthi killed more niths. The meat and skin and bones are valuable resources to us. While most of the Succubi are building floors and walls to finish the entrance, Meph is continuing to create blocks, tables and chairs. It is time for some elegance, time to set up the dining room. A few decorational sockets are planted to lighten up the place.

Just when everyone seemed to have what they desired, a second group of demonesses arrives. 8 more Succubi, all female. One of them a legendary temptress (Diplomat), while another makes a good cook, and a third useful lust demon can handle spears. Literally, proficient spear lady. Alright.

The mining goes on and so far we have discovered 4 artefacts of previous settlements. Time for an Archeologists Chamber. And a Summoning Circle. Padaxes has never actually used one before, but how hard can it be to summon pets from the underworld? Surely it is easy enough for our dungeon.

Turns out all jobs are impossible with our current resources. Back to things we know: Smoothing rocks.

A dormitory has been build for the migrant souls, their devilkin, a tiny horned pet, is still following them around. Drinks are getting lower, meat stores as well. We have no farms or hunting or fishing to speak of, they will have to last for now. The bones have been made into arrows, the skulls into totems by now, and a mechanically knowledgeable Succubus managed to hook up the bridge to the lever in the dining hall. All without breaking a fingernail.

The miners have dug two large rooms into living rock. The pulsating red mass will hold 2 coffins for tombs, as befits some of our nobles.

So far, so good. We have no food or drink production, no military and no forges. But everyone has a room, a bed, a cabinet, the nobles are happy and we can lock down the dungeon. The entry way is still flanked by 4 war Orthi, but also brandishes a wave of cage traps, just behind the trade depot we build on the cave top.

Our entry is safe. Relatively speaking.

Summoning new warbeasts is hard. Also relatively speaking.

Perfectly straight lines define our workshop section.

Two levels for sleeping. One dormitory for the new girls, think migrant sorrority, and one for the first 7.

Padaxes looks over her dungeon. The summer heat leaves sweat pearls running down her body, even with her corsett leaving much skin exposed. The other Succubi moan and grunt while doing hard work, their entire bodies covered in glistening sweat. Still, she couldnt for her live figure out why that Incubus joined them...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2014, 12:53:49 pm »

Updated first post with links to all story posts. Also changed the color-rule accordingly; doesnt matter if you color the title or all text. Whatever you think is best to read. :)

Hope Gamerlord can figure out what happens with his installation, and that more races will join the thread soon. I'm in winter by now, archeology was very helpful and enabled me to buy everything the caravan brought.

Pro tip for the Hermit: You can use the sundial to slow down the game, that way your Hermit can do more stuff in a year. Would mean you have to play longer to finish the year, but for the community forts sake it still counts as 1 year. Maybe it helps getting stuff done, considering that you spend 9 days hunting niths and months with smoothing stone. ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:55:49 pm by Meph »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »

☼A antediluvian autumn☼ - Succubi

Whichever race settled in these hills, their artefacts are still here. And they are shiny and expensive and they will bring us much good. Our Archeologist girl carefully removed the dust from the relics uncovered. Steel. Muskets, pistols and bullets. Gold. Flutes and horns. Mithril. Cannons and cannonballs. We might not have any Succubi that know how to use any of that stuff, but it looks expensive. Meph the Attorney is brought in and estimates the value at just over 20k urist.

If we ever get visited by traders, this is our chance.

The miners started digging more space for larger workshops; A metalcrafting area is being dug near the living rock we found; two more spaces are build into the tiny hill that houses the cave. They will be home to a Well of Souls (get souls from corpses) and the Altar of Nightmares (start sieges and lure traders to your dungeon). We are still unable to use any of the reactions, since we lack in souls. The dungeon has been calm, the Succubi strangely pacifistic.

The only occurance, that could be called a fight, was the discovery of three Kobold thieves from the "The Tusk of Home". Two managed to escape, but one fell to the teeth of an Orthi. To honor his service he got a name, Yellplayed. A Succubis yells "Thief!", an Orthus cames to play. Fits.

Constructions on the surface continue, a second bridge is to be made, to allow caravan wagons access to the hill top. Sadly it could not be finished till one arrived. A single succubus trader with 2 guards, the wares carried on the back of a drowspider, arrived. Meph quickly sells all the old, high-quality ranged weapons and ammo for all the food, drinks, cloth, leather, cages, pets, some weapons, some armor, seeds, poison, ropes and anvils the merchant had. Pretty much all of it.

Combining meat, plants, fish and prepared meals, we have over 200 food stuff. And drinks?

We dont have to worry about drinks anymore. We found a very bright blue gem in the metalworking section. A tear. A magical aquifer, compressed into a single gem. A underground cistern was quickly build under the dining room, a water well build with the gem, and the pool filled. We have 6 working wells in our dining room now, as well as ~70 drinks. We were down to 8 when the gem was found; It saved us from drinking from the river.

The metalworks have started making ash from vermin remains, and volunteers are heating up the forges (Succubi get free, unlimited coal, since they are demons from hell that control fire) Some ore is being processed, but its going slow. Gems on the other hand come quickly to our girls.

We have several gem-tipped pitchforks and battle axes to equip a militia if need be. Our defenses mostly consist of traps, beasts and a bridge though. No need to get our hands dirty.

Here a sketch of our dining hall and tombs.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:24:36 pm by Meph »

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »

Humans Chapter 1: Die, hill, die!!! also, bears in this world suck

From Blockwade's expedition log, as written by Usa Splatterlured

1st Granite, 31

Fresh water, a hill, trees and plants, a colony of silk moths and a cave. That's as good a location as we can get. The local wildlife seems benign for now, with platypuses for meat and plenty of fish. However, we've heard some noises from the cave. I decided to heed Ag's advice and avoid it. Let's hope that whatever lives there will stay there.There is a flat spot near the river. That's where we'll build our city. Kixi, Ume and me will start chopping down trees. I have also tasked Buqui, Cudal and Ag "The Jack" with fishing, and Sino with gathering plants. Okay, people, the sooner we're done building, the sooner we'll be able to sleep under a roof. Let's begin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8th Granite, 31

The noises were a couple on Niths. They came out as soon as we had move away from the wagon, but the dogs took care of the little buggers with just a few scratches and bruises. Aside from that, work continues normally.

5th Slate, 31

The rest of the Nith pack has appeared. I tasked The Jack with taking care of them. So far he has killed two and another one fell down the river. With only one remaining, I called him back. One Nith is no threat to us. I also tasked Kixi and the fishermen with building a mason's workshop and mining. We must establish trade relations with the motherland and we also need bricks. They dug and found malachite and also some very interesting rocks. They seem to be man made and look like ancient blocks. We must investigate further, but for now we have more pressing matters to take care of.

27th Slate, 31

We've built a wood and a food merchant and i've ordered some wood to be sold. These will be the first money we'll get in our hands. We should think of what to do with them. Also, people have started complaining about the lack of beds. First we'll fortify our location so we don't die to the first invaders or pack of hungry coyotes and then we'll concern ourselves with our living conditions.

3rd Hematite, 31

Summer has arrived and we're still hard at work. We've sold 60 wooden logs and made ourselves quite the revenue. Building the wall continues slowly, and we have plans about a guild hall, probably for the carpenters' guild. Also, it becomes more and more apparent that the flat won't do for long. We will build dormitories a well, workshops and a tavern, but we'll need to expand.

Also

oh crap.

While our so-called militia commander was asleep, the bear attacked me, but he soon learned a valuable lesson: never mess with a lady that can put six lazy bums to work with just a few words and also happens to carry an axe. And thanks for the help, Jack! You truly are an asset...

2nd Galena, 31

As is quite the asset... when it comes to killing Niths. We've finished the guildhall and now we're selling frits and wood in order to buy a sawmill. Also, we've had our first migrants. The more the merrier. I've also decided to tear down the hill, because i find flat terrain easier to manage.

21st Galena, 31

A white widow appeared and bit As in the foot. He lost senses, and his foot has rotten. If we don't treat the wound immediately, I don't know if he'll make it. On less grim news, the caravan from the homeland arrived but we can't trade them anything so i just told them to come next year with rams and ducks to trade.

13th Timber, 31

As seems to be ok for now. In more important news, our town keeps growing. The wall is finished, new stalls are installed, farm plots are opened and we have a dormitory now. That should do for now. Next we must sort out the workshops and expand the carpenters' guild. Maybe craft a pick or two, you can never have enough of these.

1st Granite, 31

The first year is done and we are finally starting to resemble a town rather than a junkyard. I've turned the dormitory into a makeshift hospital (maybe into our actual hospital when we finally make rooms). We've also expanded the carpenters' guild and started exporting textiles. Unfortunately, we had an accident when digging out the hill that got Kixi killed and another miner wounded. We have taken precautions so this will not happen again. Other than that, we've sealed the cave for fear of more bears(or worse) coming out to play, and have appointed a bookkeeper. Running the risk to sound overconfident, i say we're doing well.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:59:15 pm by than402 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »

here's the save file

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10280

i will try to tear down the hill except maybe for a spot for clay (though i got sand in my backyard, i don't care about clay very much).

also i want year 3 for humans

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2014, 02:41:24 pm »

here's the save file

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10280

i will try to tear down the hill except maybe for a spot for clay (though i got sand in my backyard, i don't care about clay very much).

also i want year 3 for humans

Good lords that was fast. Some haven't even started i dont think!

Seeing zach asked for about 4 different races, none of which being human and the only other request was the hermit, shall i keep the ball rolling with Human? Or are we hoping for some of the others to catch up?
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:09 pm »

Could you please post your overview screen for the fort? I want to see wealth, units etc. And the dead-units screen. :)

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »

sure. just wait a minute so i can take the pics. i will upload them on my post.

EDIT: ok, uploaded. only i forgot to appoint a broker. and a precision to the bookkeeper. sorry :/

EDIT#2: ok, i solved it. i quickly appointed one and them kept on for a few days so the bookkeeper could write everything down. new pic is up. that's taken just 3 days after i had abandoned the fort, so the numbers are pretty much the same
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:05:23 pm by than402 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2014, 03:09:15 pm »

On WIN7 crashes should be the screen going pale with that 'we're looking for a solution' box. Does the dfhack terminal shows something because the only freezes I had is when I intentionally ran crazy long scripts.

I played about half a year through as Orcs to try to make sure there's no species-specific bugs that crept into the new version somehow.  No problems on my end. 

Is it possible that on your OS you have to set to "run as administrator" and you haven't configured that yet for the new 6.2 release?  I think that my wife has to do that in windows 7.  She does something to the properties of the shortcut on her desktop that points to the MDF gui.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43