Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119786 times)

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Warlock player wanted. :)
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:13 am »

This is my first succession game as well, so I can't really give any advice on it. As for the fort. I did used sundial in the middle of the autumn, right after i built it. And I completely fotgot about it in winter.
Regarding the cave, I've done a bit of every labor during the first year just to see what were the lmits and to prepare the caves for the next years, when th FUN should begin. Archaelogy seemed the most entertaining part, and helped to dispose that boulders lying aroung the rooms, so boulders are almost gone and you'll have to mine more if you are to build something big.
The only thing I'd suggest to do during next years is The Dice improvements, though it is not mandatory.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

IgnusPoppingtonIV, how are your FPS at embark?

Immortal-D, alright, Orcs have started. :) Nice.

I updated the first post with links to each post.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Warlock player wanted. :)
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:39 am »

Okay, downloading a 'clean copy' has just made things worse. Winrar is failing to extract it now - it get's to about 87% (I think it tries to unpack something called buildingplan.dll or something like that)

Hey there. I think anti-virus / anti-malware software is getting a false postive on the buildingplan plugin and trying to delete it / stop it being saved. You might need to set that file name as an exception or something.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:39:11 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

IgnusPoppingtonIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IgnusPoppingtonIV, how are your FPS at embark?

Immortal-D, alright, Orcs have started. :) Nice.

I updated the first post with links to each post.

I'm getting roughly 50fps. Drops to thirty sometimes. It's the fekkin river man. But it's whatever.. Because I'm kinda doing something crazy on said river

Edit: Game crashed. God damn it
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:13:20 pm by IgnusPoppingtonIV »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

It's the slower watching the top of the hill as the multi layers are rendered, it's faster in underground tunnels. Currently running between 75 and 120 on Ubuntu with wine, I should have roughly the same minus 5 FPS on windows.

I finished autumn, the laboratory did not crumble.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

IgnusPoppingtonIV: Quicksave. Cant say it often enough. Between twbt, rendermax (off, I hope) and all the custom dfhack scripts, crashes can happen. My FPS on the other hand were stable 150, so... Blame your CPU, not the river. :P

Boltgun: Nice recovery. I think if a fortress would fall, the next player could reclaim them and continue. We could even swap fortresses... Orc abandons, Warlock player reclaims the orc fort. Kobold player loses his camp... and the humans reclaim it. :D
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IgnusPoppingtonIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Restarting now, going to set the save to seasons instead of years. Warlocks may be a bit.. Strange to pick up. Fair warning

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Restarting now, going to set the save to seasons instead of years. Warlocks may be a bit.. Strange to pick up. Fair warning
Quicksave every week or so. Its literally just pressing Ctrl+Q and takes a few seconds. Saves you a lot of trouble.

IgnusPoppingtonIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will do boss man.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

I've run into some problems with the hermit. An elf ambush got revealed by a cage trap and I locked the wrong door to keep them out and immediately after the hermit rushed outside because I was cutting down some trees and now he's being chased by some elven archers and all he has is a mithril axe. Which is really disappointing because so far all my time has been spent preparing for an attack and the reason I was cutting trees was to build a more secure entranceway. What should I do?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Gnome year 1 : Autumn

Perhaps it’s time to read the manual
That escalated quickly, the fort went from hopeful into wild panic. The nature hating leader is dead and it’s up to a handful of gnomes to salvage the furniture. Only 4 of them have enough sanity to work now.

As a hint of future events, a collector issue of ‘natural battlescience 101’ was washed down the river. It took the brave leader all her concentration to read through the precious book and after two long minutes of meditation she came out ready to save the situation.

Panic! Panic!
The gnomes can survive this. Or so they think. According to the book, the first thing to build is a nature shrine. One has been placed over the cave to give it a better view with fortifications to protect it. The raw glass that was left outside is now secured for a new tinker workshop and soon enough a few lenses are produced.

Yeah good day to you too, nature. At least you are a better fellow that this miner who turned on the new leader with foam at his mouth.

Perhaps he wanted his pick back? The chief gnome ordered more coffins.

Don't panic!
A group of washed out scientist found the camp! They are assigned to masonry (to build protective walls), mechanics and mining. Among them is the chief accountant of the expedition who will be able to fill the vacant administrative spots.

A very meager hospitable has been built for the two wounded gnomes. One took a nasty hit to the head and another have a broken arm. They both started starving immediately so the chief medical gnome has been given no other jobs then take care of the wounded.

The brain damage gnome did not survive until the winter. He was miserable and probably needed a year of surgery so perhaps it was for the best. The other gnome needs thread for his arm, hopefully the spiders will lend some of their webs.

Directship is not menaced into immediate destruction, but how upsetting it was to start by filling the graveyard. The laboratory is down to 6 gnomes, one under the care of a dedicated medic, and nature is starting to favor the gnomes. Spiders were spotted so let's hope those will join in the winter.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I've run into some problems with the hermit. An elf ambush got revealed by a cage trap and I locked the wrong door to keep them out and immediately after the hermit rushed outside because I was cutting down some trees and now he's being chased by some elven archers and all he has is a mithril axe. Which is really disappointing because so far all my time has been spent preparing for an attack and the reason I was cutting trees was to build a more secure entranceway. What should I do?
Up to you. Turn around and fight. If you die, reclaim with new hermit, make it into a story... "I stumbled upon this hollowed out cave with rooms. Strange..." (If you do this, use dfhack to make the place a lair first, that way all items stay). Another option is savescumming, but I'm not the biggest fan of that.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

☼Dwarves☼ - End of Year Report

Fall and Winter passed with nothing significant occurring.  We finished a minecart track that will deliver raw stone and ore into impossibly small staging areas for the workshops.  I cannot abide clutter.  It will be moved.  Most of the dwarves grumbled at the task of picking things up, setting them down again and then picking them back up again to load into a minecart.  Only two migrants arrived, and they were quickly added to the nearly endless task of moving stone. 

By the end of winter, most dwarves had their own bedroom with smoothed walls.  The bronze industry is going at full tilt and bronze armor and weapons are being produced.  But the curtain wall is still under construction, and only a tiny moat separates us from the dangerous outside world. 

I ordered several minimum good levels as follows:
Spoiler: workflow orders (click to show/hide)

Maps of the fortress as it stands now:

Spoiler: Level 100 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level 95 (click to show/hide)

And the final tally:

Save Game Download
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:04:34 am by qorthos »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

The Hermit - Year 32, Spring

1st Granite, 32.
As the year passes I feel as if something of significance has changed. I can't identify exactly how, but I feel different now. I suspect the dice might have had something to do with it. Nevertheless I shall continue living my life as I was.

2nd Granite, 32.
I've decided that in the event that I end up in any serious combat a simple mithril short sword won't be enough. I intend to start mining copper to combine with the tin and make bronze armor.

12th Granite, 32.
Before I started mining I realized that I had no fuel so I cut down a few trees and made them into charcoal.

24th Granite, 32.
I've finally started making bronze. The days seemed to go by so quickly earlier, but now they seem to have slowed to a crawl.

26th Slate, 32.
The last month has just been carrying moving stuff around and smelting ore. However, I have finally finished my full suit of bronze armor which will hopefully be good enough protection. The best piece is the helmet which is superior quality the rest is well-crafted at least.

2nd Felsite, 32.
I felt that I hadn't had any interaction with the gods for too long so I decided to build a house altar for each of them in the empty space next to my alchemy laboratoy. The south is to Usen the Bulwark of Searching the god of generosity, sacrifice, and charity. The north is to Gasis Figureconstructs the god of boundaries and crafts.

11th Felsite, 32.
Right after building the altars I made five prayers to each god. After I was done I prepared a wood cutting block as I intend to build a small hut above the cave which will serve as the new entrance.

25th Felsite, 32.
It seems my battle preparations were justified. A group of fifteen elven archers just attacked and I barely survived. I heard the cage trap spring and ran up to find an elf inside. I quickly locked the doors, but the warpstone must have clouded my mind and I only locked the door to my bedroom rather than the hatch to the cave.
I had already forgotten about the elves later the next day when I went outside and was surrounded by archers. I had intended to do woodcutting and wasn't wearing my armor so I ran away. Eventually I got out of sight of the elves and returned to stealthily cut down some trees and drink some water. By the time I was done the elves had left and I was back in my cave with a nice locked door between me and the elves. I still have to figure out what to do with these prisoners though.

26th Felsite, 32.
It seems the elves did not simply leave while I was gone. Upon further investigation it seems they killed my dog and cat. I'll start burial preparations soon.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Alright, finished my first writeup. Any feedback on it? I don't know how to put pictures into forum posts so if someone could tell me how that'd be nice. I'll try and do Summer and Autumn tomorrow then hopefully finish Winter before Christmas.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43