Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119805 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 1 almost done. :)
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »

Holy moly Than, you've literally had that for less than a day and you're done?! I suppose i managed winter in about 1 hour, but still!

Perhaps you should give one or two of the other races a kick up the bum :P

Still love the Mechanism showing how puny dwarves are and the creation of the foundation of the fort we're building. Hopefully we can find a use for the mechanism.
I will find it hugely amusing if we used it for despatching of unwanted nobles.

I'm wondering if pasting the screenshots into paint was the issue, will see if it works if i paste it elsewhere. If i can get screenshots to work, i may take another turn soon.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »

I'm dying laughing that the Hermit counts as his own army!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2014, 12:20:46 pm »

Updated front page again. Added zach as player for Kobolds in year3. :)

You guys are really increasing the speed a bit, with 1 post for an entire year :P A bit more exposition would have been nice.

Bigheaded: Is it possible that you have two monitors? You might run DF on one, while screenshotting the other.

You will die of death if you keep laughing at the Hermit, he'll kill you so dead that you die. Praise the Hermit Army!
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 25, 2014, 12:28:10 pm »

Updated front page again. Added zach as player for Kobolds in year3. :)

You guys are really increasing the speed a bit, with 1 post for an entire year :P A bit more exposition would have been nice.

Bigheaded: Is it possible that you have two monitors? You might run DF on one, while screenshotting the other.

You will die of death if you keep laughing at the Hermit, he'll kill you so dead that you die. Praise the Hermit Army!
Truly, he is a one man army!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #259 on: December 25, 2014, 12:46:30 pm »

Next player should nickname him... Sylvester Lee Schwarzenegger Norris. Or something similar. :D
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 25, 2014, 01:22:45 pm »

For speed: Sometimes that's simply what happens. It's hard to create anything exciting when very little does happen.

In terms of monitors, i've never tried a dual monitor setup and not entirely sure how it works. I can screenshot fine on everything else, just Masterwork DF i had an issue with. In normal DF it was fine also.
I remember ages and ages back i had an issue that paint was incorrectly loading print screens as black and i used a different program which worked, so i may as said try changing that.
Unless other people come up with the same issue i wouldn't worry about it. Seems to be working fine for everyone else, will see if i can find a fix. (windows mode DF perhaps?!)
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 25, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »

sorry about the one post for a year :P
i'll try to write more stuff and more story like next time
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #262 on: December 25, 2014, 02:26:38 pm »

No worries ^^

I made a mistake as well... I wanted to finish my year (was start of winter), got distracted for a bit, looked at the screen again... "a racoon, drive it away". Oh, I didnt pause the game... what time it is? Oh... end of summer.

The game ran for 3 seasons, now I have to find an old save.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 25, 2014, 02:29:10 pm »

Meph interrupts managing the fortress: Hunting racoon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #264 on: December 25, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

I started comparing the forts/races of the first year. Still waiting on the Orc save, but its pretty interesting already. Gnomes certainly lead in terms of losses, while Kobolds lead the wild-life kills, and Succubi are the wealthiest. And Kobolds have stockpiled about 3 times more food than any other race.  :o

One of them even brought a pair of Squig pups! (basically the Orcish version of Boars.  Once we establish a herd, dinner will be bacon every night :D

Just wanted to add this:
Spoiler: Picture of a Squig (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 03:45:52 pm by Meph »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 25, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »

Final log of Zatalatgothra, year 31

As the chill of Autumn whistles through the valley, I know my tenure of Overseer is drawing to a close.  Though I shall maintain my role of Clan Leader and Matriarch, a new leader must take over the direction of our Fortress.  I only hope we can find a competent Scriber soon, for I only took up the role to help facilitate the workload.  As we expand further into the soil layers, I look over our Wolf pack.  Fortunately, the damage is not so bad as I had initially thought.  Although two will likely succumb to infection, the pack has birthed several litters now, all of whom can be trained for Hunting & War with relative ease.  Also, perhaps sensing blood, or even a slight falter in our resolve, the malign forces of the world see to fit to send us some interesting visitors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As Winter closes around us, we are greeted by a Succubus Caravan and our first Artefact!  The early industrial expansion seems to have paid off, for the statue is truly a magnificent sight.  The Succubi seem a bit irritated that we're paying more attention to this magnificent craftorcship than them :P  Truth be told, this particular crew isn't much to look at anyways.  No matter, the statue shall make a find addition to my royal chamber our grand feasting hall.

Our Militia has grown to 4 strong.  They are given a year-round training schedule, but rarely have time for it due to the volume of work.  I've been pushing our Clan hard, and I get some resentment, even amongst the more enlightened Sorcerers.  Still, we must carry on.  Walling off the valley is of utmost importance, as is completing the equipment kits for our first raids.  While I plan out the remainder of the year, I hear there has been an accident near the farms.  Some fool of a tuok failed to realize that rivers, on average, tend to contain lots of water.  The floodgate was closed before any serious damage occurred, and we were able to dig out nearby rooms to help expedite the dispersion.

Here is the cistern for our new Well
... and this is where we nearly flooded the entire lair
As I am managing this minor crisis, I get word that the Succubi have suffered some trouble of their own.  A quick headcount confirms we still have all of our animals, and I'm pretty sure I would remember purchasing a Basilisk.  I suspect that their new stash of shinies may have distracted them on the way out ;D

While the goods acquired from the Traders are sorted, I see our first Raider Kits being stashed in the Long Boats.
Soon we shall know glory and plunder.  I must remember to leave a note for my successor; focus on the Elves first, for if captured, they can be put to work producing much-needed logs.  Already our supply of charcoal is dangerously low, and we have yet to find another source of fuel.

The snow has begun to thaw in earnest.  I decide to check in on... wait, what's that buzzing sound?
DUCK AND COVER! Behind you!!
  by the gods, nothing should ever bend that way

We're... we survived *hrk*

Ok, I think I got it all out, and the chaos has ended.  In retrospect, we could have done much worse.  Still, seeing an entire clan lose their composure like that is a bit unsettling.  I suspect the grunts will be hitting the cider hard tonight.  As the sun crests over the horizon, we hear the first birds of Spring.  My time has drawn to a close.  Gods know how some young upstart was chosen to be Overseer, 'Gamerlord' he calls himself.  No matter, only a small section of the mountain remains to be fortified, and with a few more coins from the Freelancers Guild, we can begin raiding for proper supplies (can only afford to do food runs right now, I chose to wait until we have more money to invest).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winter proved to be far more !FUN! than I was anticipating.  Medical care and completion of the Walls/Ramp removal should be top priority.  We also have 2 Longboats and 2 Weapon Kits (copper/bronze), we just need money.  I suggest taking the time to look through the Freelancer's Guild options and figure out every little scrap that we can sell them.  Either save enough to raid the Elves so they can make wood for us, or find some proper coal.  Here is a quick rundown of our little valley;
Lastly, our stocks;

Admittedly not the easiest start, but so long as you can get soap and thread in timely fashion, should be ok.  Can probly butcher a couple of Wolves for Tallow as needed.  Good luck mate :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1503118/Dwarf%20Fortress/Orc%20Fortress/Battle%20of%20the%208%20Armies%20-%20Base%20Year%202%20Start.7z

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #266 on: December 25, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Giant roaches are pretty tough. I lost so many dwarves to them when going into caverns...

Nice writeup and fort tour. I think you have the wealthiest fort. :) Now I got all saves from year 1 here, time to do something with them.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 25, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »

Giant roaches are pretty tough. I lost so many dwarves to them when going into caverns...

Nice writeup and fort tour. I think you have the wealthiest fort. :) Now I got all saves from year 1 here, time to do something with them.

Reading through the other civs, what I take away is that Orcs expanded hard and fast; got the most wealth to start, but the military had next to zero training, so they are in sorry shape.  I chose to forgo a traditional hallway entrance, instead trying to seal off the entire valley.  If the next Overseers can secure the Ramps before a full siege arrives, we'll have a lot of vertical space in which to build.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #268 on: December 25, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »

I'm very surprised that so many people chose to settle at the downside of the hill. Kobolds, Orcs, Humans, they all have their large open area at the bottom of it. No one settled the cave/cavern, which I hoped for when I picked the embark. Only the hermit makes good use of it.

Any ambush or siege that brings ranged weapons will walk up that hill and shoot down over the walls till they run out of ammo... it will be a massacre. Just saying. ;)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 25, 2014, 05:24:52 pm »

I'm very surprised that so many people chose to settle at the downside of the hill. Kobolds, Orcs, Humans, they all have their large open area at the bottom of it. No one settled the cave/cavern, which I hoped for when I picked the embark. Only the hermit makes good use of it.

Any ambush or siege that brings ranged weapons will walk up that hill and shoot down over the walls till they run out of ammo... it will be a massacre. Just saying. ;)
I thought of that and started building a floor/ceiling at z+1.  So note to my successor; priority number 3 after hospital and ramps is to finish the ceiling, lol.  Also I noticed that a lot of workshops did not resume Repeat jobs, they stayed Suspended and had to be manually re-enabled.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43