Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119771 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile

apparently, you already did a better job than me, so don't worry about it :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Problem seems resolved, thanks smake. :)

Just for the record: Play it out, if you die, you die. Make the fort a lair by using dfhack, then reclaim. Otherwise dfhack is only to fix bugs or help FPS (river dam for example), not for cheating out of combat or other losses.

And that antman hovers in the air? Must be a drone, they have wings. Pretty impressive that you couldnt hit it, does it show what level of blocker/shield user it has by now? :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile

I don't think I can. I was curious if he had somehow become legendary but I couldn't find a way to check his stats. I might be dead wrong, but I couldn't find it on the unit menu.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

stroppycarpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Warlocks
year of 34, spring and summer (and a little bit of winter from the year before it)

15th obsidian (of 33): Mestenu goes through the notes inscribed on soft clay inlaid on a bone tablet, a so-called journal. He has so many questions. why do we have so many bone crafts? ((The predecessor must have run out of stone and made bone hourglasses with craft productions))
why are there around twenty gem splints laying around? why are there unfinished orders for more? At least the foodstocks look good. 500 units of prepared meals and 300 of meat.
A considerable amount of filled phylacteries, skulls, bones and leather. Good.

He immediately started with the most pressing task that was the easiest to solve: naming the skeletons and zombies. Lacking in immagination, he instead tried to recall as many of the deieties the different members of their encampment worshipped. He decided to dedicate one zombie each to each, using the deity's name with the "bola" suffix, meaning 'sevant'.
One of the two last remaining zombies had already been named 'zippo' by somebody else, and the remaining one was dubbed 'stumpy' due to his lack of both hands and one leg.
The skeletons were named 'rattles' and 'dirtstained' after the first distinguishing feature that popped to his when he saw them.

Next up were noble positions. Apart for the mistress reserved for Deus, he felt forced to appoint Bred Mournsavaged as keeper of knowledge, since he was the only one who had a slightly better clue on how to appraise the value of goods than the rest. The position of fleshmonger proved difficult to fill, all of them would be horrible for the job.
He ended up choosing Dent for the job as a way to repay whatever 'debt' Dent thought he owed him, and partially because he was amongst the least terrible at doctorwork.

17th obsidian: Dent seemed to have been taking a stroll in the caverns, when he was attacked by a few cave bears. Luckily the overlord managed to get there in time and finish them off easily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mestenu didn't get the information first hand, but instead he was notified by a zombie while he was organizing the construction of ovens for coke production. The zombie also informed him of some amusing news:
Deus had no whip available at the moment she was made mistress, so she opted to issue a beating instead as punishment for the ex-steward almeyu. She had apparently punched him in the gut so hard, he vomited all over the fortress. Learning that almeyu and deus were married made the news that much sweeter.

Spring of 34

15 granite: An additional skeleton has been animated. He was named 'grin'. Three more were ordered to be assembled.
Meanwhile, a second and a third cave complex were discovered, along with a vertical tunnel that connects them. The secondary caves have crystals growing in them, while the teriary ones sport nethercaps. One of the zombies leans over the edge and spots an old abandoned chest at the bottom, and reports to its masters.

16 granite: the tattered clothing situation gets more dire with each passing day, and it's about time something is done about it. A few sets of clothing are ordered at the tailor shop.

25 granite: The mining out continues and so does the exploration of the 3rd cave layer. Another minion spots something turquise and gleaming. Another fifteen pairs of hollow, lifeless eyes dart in the same direction to confirm the suspicions of the first. Raw Adamantine.
What a boon! And once alerted, mestenu knew exactly what the first load would be used on: a new wraithblade for the overlord. The bone one he currently wielded was effective, but not enough weight could be put into a blow without shattering it.
Eventually, a skeleton will be inscribed with metalcrafting skills to produce the finest blade possible, and a sloppy tunnel is dug in the direction of the adamantine cluster.

7th slate: Mestenu noticed a new skeleton had been assembled. He named it Teblfewred after the named cave bear whose skull now was in much better use.

11th slate: The work proceeded slowly but... well... not steadily. Simply slowly. More alarmingly, during a morning stroll by the necromantic altar, two partial skeletons of what turned out to be warlocks were discovered. Caskets were soon created and the bodies interred, after a futile attempt to revive them.

15th slate: Uh oh. An intruder has been spotted nearby the encampment. A titan, it appears. It emanates a psychic aura of positive energy that suppresses the elditch magics of the warlocks. Has the creature been summoned by the elves and tasked to destroy us? Or is it acting of its own initiative? It is impossible to know.

4th felsite: The forest Titan approaches camp and rests on a cremating furnace. While it is not actively charging to battle us, it is undoubtedly scouting or trying to find patterns to exploit weakness. Something must be done soon. Telepathically the warlocks agree on a pre-emptive attack. Dozens of zombies swarm the creature to keep it busy, while the three elite fighters of the camp, The overlord, Deus and a two headed four armed ghoul, flank the creature.

7th felsite: After three days of fighting, the battle has come to an end.

13th felsite: The hospital is full of zombies. While swarming the opposing force with relatively weak undead punchbags to grasp and hold on to their limbs seems like a good strategy, the downside is that the zombies are direly missed as a workforce. Warlocks are made to do physical labor again since adamantine strand extraction needs to proceed quickly.
The overlord is also hospitalized, but surprisingly it is from an earlier wound from when a giant roach skewered his (then unarmored) foot.

16th felsite: The corpse of the forest titan is being butchered, Mestenu is curious what it will yield. Meanwhile, an artifact is being made. Mestenu managed to coax Kreysetal to start cutting gems, but she has removed her pants in protest.

20th felsite: An artifact bone armor is created. It will adorn the overlord once he is well again.

22nd felsite: A group of goblin lashers has sneaked up on the camp! This poses a significant threat, since their barbed and bladed whips can easily snap off limbs. Moreover, the overlord is still hospitalized. Deus and alzam, the two headed four armed ghoul, are the only real warriors to their disposal.

23rd felsite: The earlier tactic of sending in zombies first does not seem to work so well. The lashers dole out a large amount of punishment against the zombies, but luckily they can take it. One of the zombies falls over, lifeless.

As Deus and the ghoul sneak in to flank, they luckily do much better than the zombies. The goblins are soon decapitated or run through by deus and the bone wraithblade that was earlier used by the overlord. The goblins are killed and humiliated.

Summer of 34

3rd hematite. Mestenu gets in close and feeds the hospitalized overlord, meticulously taking care of his needs. Perhaps he will remember this service when the time for reward has come.

28th hematite. The overlord has recuperated.

8th malachite. New zombies are attracted from a nearby graveyard. They are named Stoneface and stonehands. Mestenu plans to use them for hauling blocks of stone, but he wonders when he will have the luxury of being able to spare two sets of working hands.

13th malachite. The zombie Sebwerbula is taken by a mood. His determination is an inspiration to the entire camp. He crawls out of the bed using his hands, dragging his broken and missing legs behind him.

20th malachite. The keeper of knowledge keeps pressing on the fact that we need better armor, particularly mail hoods, and has mandated their production. We still have very little metal, so the mandate was ignored.

7th galena. The keeper of knowledge has lost his patience, and he has decided to scapegoat a zombie.  He is sentenced to jail.

14th galena. An even bigger threat approaches the camp. A group of human warriors has come to siege the warlocks! 10 men and a horse stand on the top of the hill south of the encampment, their shields gleaming in the dawn's rays.  The leader on horseback is quickly identified as the Ape Kupegulud, the son of a local minor lord.

19th galena. The humans have made camp on top of the hill, but this situation won't last. A quick plan is drafted. A token force will be left inside the fortification above the river, together with Dent the fleshmonger. He can try and cure the hospitalized zombies. Meanwhile, the bulk of our forces will be moving supplies underground and sealing us off by removing the top of the stairs.
The zombie sebwerbula finishes his artifact, a smooth wooden iron maiden. Is this an omen of the victory to come, or of defeat?

22nd galena, Five more humans join the encampment. No doubt scouts that have circled around our entire campsite looking for an easy way in. These humans are no fools.
The majority of the food, bone and coke supplies have been dumped down the main stairway. The upper stairs are removed. The entrace to the caves that exists on the surface has already been sealed. Now just the drawbridge has to be raised.

24th galena, Dent needs to pull the lever to lock himself in, but instead opts to have a long mealtime instead! Dent, you fool! pull that lever!

EDIT: added pics
(( Have 90% of the year played, will do a autumn winter writeup in an hour or two))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:07:07 pm by stroppycarpet »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Humans Year 6, Prelude

Kofi Ugankaslun joined his friend, Ethra, in her secluded laboratory.  The formerly thriving settlement was now a lawless asylum.  Kofi may be mayor in name; but the 80 humans of Blockwade were now ruled only by chaos, melancholy, and the occassional bout of deadly blood-rage.   

Ethra was tinkering with a very dangerous artifact - the severed head and damaged mechanocomputational cortex of a SMAK-47 class automaton.  Her workspace was cluttered with a variety of gears, regulators, and other unrecognizable engineering gizmos.

"Can you run over the salient details of this plan of yours, one more time?" Kofi asked.

"Sure.  You're going to hand me that spanner and then shut your talk-hole for about 10 minutes.  Then I'm going to activate this rusted-out pile of bolts, which is supposedly a veritable manefestation of the primal concept of order, realized by an ancient civilization wise beyond our meager understanding.  You're going to ask it for some tips about how to establish the rule of law in this cesspit, or something.  It should be reasonably safe because I didn't attach the arms.  If it turns out not to be safe, hit it with something."

"Oh."  Kofi handed over the tool, and then turned the overall plan around in his mind a few more times.  "Are you sure that's even remotely a good idea?"

Far away, a piercing scream echoed from some distant point, probably in the great hall, followed by several pells of fell laughter.  The clang of blades and howl of guard-dogs; finally  gurgling screams, and wails of dispair and fear.  Some other poor fool rioter must have gotten violent and been cut down by the guards, feeding the cycle of despondency and violence which would continue to plague the other surviving proles.  This scene was playing out, now, several times each month.

"I'm sure about the part where you stop talking for 10 minutes.  The rest, we'll know, soon enough.  Empirical evidence and such."

---

The ancient mechanisms whirled, sputtered, bellowed some sparks and alarmingly dense smoke, and finally stabilized.  Kofi's gaze was fixed on the automaton's vaguely humanoid brass head, attached to a hodgepodge of crudely assembled copper-salt batteries and salvaged machine parts.  Its eyes rolled back at an alarming angle, before darting left and right.  Finally its gaze fixed forward, pupils dialating and contracting in random spasms.  Ethra's attention was instead at the far end of the table, where a dense mass of precisely balanced weights, levers, and gears groaned to life.  At first it moved with random jerks, as if trying to wreak havok upon the heavy table and scatter its splintered shards to tear the entire room apart.  But after a few seconds, patterns began to emerge among the violent motions of the levers, and the screaming cacaphony of grinding metal gave way to a precise hum with an eerie, musical quality.  "I think it's a machano for logarithms..."

"Stuff it, Ethra.  Wake up, Tin man!"

The SMAK-47 was reasonably cogent, now.  <Greetings MEATBAG.  You will reattach my GRASPING extremeties now.>

"Um, OK, we're going to table that suggestion for now.  But I'm glad you felt like you could ask, it demonstrates a certain level of trust between us.  That's important."  The automaton didn't reply, but only returned a cold, mechanical stare.  "All right then.  I understand that you fellas are programmed to be enthusiastic about law and order.  What we've got here then is a great opportunity, complete with some grade-A chaos for you to vanquish.  You just relax right there on the table and dispense some  wisdom, and Eth here," (she nodded on cue) "... and I will venture out into the world and be your, um, you know.  Graspy bits."

<MEATBAGS are poor replacement for ACTUATORS.>

"Right, then.  I'll take that as a yes."

<Require additional PARAMETERS.>

Kofi sighed.  "Well, there's the normal kind of nonsense that you see when you're elected head of a collective township, right?  Buncha trash cluttering up in the streets, animals grazing the in town square, junk stockpiled all in some gods-forsaken hole in the ground basement 100 yards away from any workshop that might want to use 'em.  Inefficient, eh?"  He was anticipating some kind of response at this juncture in his little speech, perhaps an 'Omigosh' or 'Mmmhmm', but none was forthcoming from SMAK-47.  Eth could have stepped in, but she wasn't even paying attention.  Probably just pretending to calibrate something over there.

"But, you know, the real problem is that there's about 35 miserable hoopleheads running around on the verge of committing violent assault, murder, misanthropy, disorderly malaise, conspiracy in support of acute deliquency, etcetera and so on."

<Require additional PARAMETERS.>

"I don't know.  There's also, like, 40 other guys who are fairly reliable at the moment.  Just pissed off and not quite murderous yet.  There's a fair supply of weapons, which might be either good or bad. Hey, why don't you just start using those think-cogs already?  Do you need me to write this shit down on a punched card or something?"  Kofi settled back to wait, as the rack of loggarhythms wound up to a pretty substantial velocity.

<Instantiating ORDER upon 75 MEATBAGS in PARALLEL presents logistical difficulties.  Nominal recommendation is low yield THERMOBARIC detonation delivered at moderate altitude.  If you represent a class I or class II PRETECHNOLOGICAL civilization please insert reel two.>

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Wow, year 6 already? The other races might drag behind a bit :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

I'll take year five of the hermit if that helps. I would play as another one, but I doubt anybody's using a population cap and I can't handle more than fifty dwarves.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

stroppycarpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Warlocks
Autumn of 34
11th limestone, The invaders are shut outside the drawbridge just at the last moment, they begrudgingly return to their camp to stake us out.

22nd limestone, The dorms have almost been dug out halfway. Setar runs into one and tosses all his clothes on the bed before running off to get other clothing. We get it setar, that room is yours now.

28th sandstone, A fire is spotted in the second level of the caverns, the ones where the growth is blue crystal. Strange, green, alchemical flames lick at the poison glass shrubs and crystal trees. Mestenu does not worry for the fortress, since it's not connected at the moment to the second layer.

2nd timber, The fire still spreads, engulfing some mummies and other creatures. Only ash remains in it's wake.

12th timber, The fire has burned out, meanwhile dent gets it in his thick head that he needs to be compensated for his isolation and hard work pulling levers. He demands an adamantine statue. For a moment Mestenu misheard it as a raw adamantine rock statue, but no, he wants it of cast metal.
HA! HA! no way, Dent. The zombie for earlier is finally caged up for his 'crimes'

20th timber, The preparations are largely complete. The adamantine wraithblade is created. It is exceptional, but by no means a masterwork. A pity. Since the work was progressing at a sluggish pace, a new plan is called for. Ironbone full plate armor could be created, but it would take too long. The humans could lose interest, and their scalps are precious.
A difficult call is made. They would attack here and now. Considering that the humans are wielding maces, Mestenu is not certain of the effectiveness of plate armor anyway. Bone is much lighter and would allow for increase mobility. An ironbone buckler is made for deus, but other than that not many preparations are amde.
Just before the wall separating the surface cave entrace is removed, another artifact is completed, this time a living stone weapon rack. How fitting.

21st timber, In an attempt to ambush the camping humans, Leghez the overlord and Deus sneak up the hill in the quiet of the night. They are surprised, however, by the fully equipped humans instantly getting out of their tents and charging at them. They were expecting it!
A full retreat is ordered. Leghez and Deus rush down the hill at full speed, their unnatural unholy strength and agility letting them glide over the uneven terrain like whisps of silk in a breeze.

The humans, however, find it much more challenging to maintain formation while storming down the hillside. Some of them stumble and lose their footing in the dark, almost tripping. The quickest and probably the most unseasoned warrior,  Ilda whiptreat, is the only one that manages to keep up with the warlocks.
Her enthousiasm to bask in the glory of battle would soon prove to be her doom, because the moment she glanced behind herself to see wher he companions were, she realized she has been isolated from the others.

Ilda's face went as pale as the moon as the warlocks stopped running towards the upraised bridge and ran back towards her. She felt compelled to stand her ground, but she stands no chance against the superhuman speed of leghez' slashes. Using his adamantine blade, he lops off her arm and kills her.

Giki is standing right behind her and cries out in rage, rushing in to avenge his fallen ally.
He is however no match for the overlord's slashes and is quickly disarmed in the same fashion. Unlike ilda, giki manages to run away back to his leader, ape the bladesman. He leaves behind a trail of blood.

Now faced with the rest of the human forces led by ape, the overlord and deus have little choice but to stall for time, until the drawbridge can be lowered and the healed zombies from the hospital can join in again. Ape the human leader stays behind to survey the situation and bark orders that mostly go unheard. Good, the humans are mostly green rookies. Well-trained no doubt, but they lack discipline. They are easily split into two lesser groups and led around in circles.

finally the gate opens, and the zombies storm forward, engulfing the small group of humans chasing the overlord. Deus is still distracting part of the humans as best as she can.

A number of humans tries to rejoin the group by the drawbridge but ends up captured in traps during the scuffle.
Lihost, lurit, tis, tham are all caged, as well as giki who somehow found his courage again.

The only humans to still be on the brige, fighting side by side, are shama and aquov.

As the overlord casually chops off shama's parts, the brave human finds himself in his final momentswithout legs and with only a left arm, mace in hand. Defiant to the end.

Aquov can do nothing but hold off the grasping hands of the zombies, he manages to stand up. He can turn his head just in time to see his leader Ape lead the retreat, his men routed. Fear washes over aquov's face, then acceptance.

The overlord calmly moves over to him and slashes off his foot while he's distracted, then removes both his arms.
Aquov dies shortly later due to blood loss.

24th timber. The siege has ended.

The overlord certainly liked the fine blade mestenu had made for him, and has taken on a style where he enjoys hacking limbs off without much effort.
A quick tally to compare which human was cut into the most individual pieces.
limbs

The bridge is bloody, and the humans are gone, but much butchering work awaits the warlocks as laughter of joy rises through the camp.
aftermath

Winter of 34

Not much happens, the warlocks are hard at work digging out, smoothing, and moving all their supplies to underground.

Here follows a tour of the fortress.

The status/unit/dead screens

Notes to the next overseer:
Dent keeps requesting adamantine statues. He must be dealt with somehow. Warlock torture is an available reaction in one of the dungeon-y buildings, and it gives a positive effect to other warlocks. I'd advise keeping him alive though. Just appoint somebody else if you want to.
The basic structure of the underground part is more or less done. My idea was to dig away the stone around it to create a kind of "stalactite structure". You can do whatever you like. change locations of quantum stockpiles, condense two of them into one, keep building aboveground. Whatever. Rooms are not done smoothing however. You can also make display stands with inside our previous artifacts to easily increase the worth of rooms.
Most industries are barely set up, but they need to be expanded and have some dedicated workers. I would suggest getting ironbone going (needs more fuel and ash, small goblin clothing and at most bones can be burned in crematorium), as well as rock furniture (all ethereal furniture in noble rooms must be replaced eventually), and getting bookwriting done so we can learn spells.
Also, some humans are caged but they have not been stripped yet, be wary. I was planning to create a sort of structure on the surface where I could toss creatures from, onto spikes, but I didnt have the time and I forgot to complete it. Maybe a Colosseum of sorts might be an interesting project.
I'm ashamed to admit I only now realize that if we build a wall slightly to the south of the drawbridge a lot of attacks can be staved off even without my underground refuge idea.
Oh well.
If you have no clue how to quantum stockpile using minecarts, here's a guide http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2k0zb3/mechanixms_guide_to_better_stockpiling_part_1/

save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10502

EDIT: oh, one more thing, if I was in any way reserved for kobold year 4, I give up my spot.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:41:37 pm by stroppycarpet »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Wow, year 6 already? The other races might drag behind a bit :P

Kobolds are still in Year 3. Hopefully I'll have that finished by the end of the week.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

Hermit Year 4

I find I have been enjoying the cool depths of the caverns. There is a refreshing coolness and soothing aspect of being underground. The dark can be ... disturbing. But at least it helps obscure my visions and hallucinations caused by those accursed dice.

My lower chambers are turning out nicely, and do not have the issue of damp that the sandy walls above had. Bob mined the place out and both of us smoothed it. I now have some decent furniture that makes me feel more at home. I set up a water pump near the underground lake and resupplied. Though I am getting sick of nothing but water.

My diet hasn't been great either. I really should consider adding some diversity. There are some nice underground plants that look edible. Probably. I'm pretty sure.

I feel like my mind has been more clear down here and throwing myself into the work has been good for me. I've got the crafts area largely set up, though I probably could move the metals works down here as well. That can wait.

Best of all I now have an almost complete food processing area set up near the secure entrance to the undergroung. Kitchen, Still, Farmers workshop, Tanner, quern, bone workshop, Screw press and mill. Though the mill requires a power source. So it's really only decorative.

Some good solid doors should also keep out the smell from the refuse area.

I almost forgot how long things take to get looking nice. I thought of setting up stockpiles to clean things up, but the trudging up and down was a logistical nightmare. I have a stockpile for wood, since it's external to my cave. But most everything else I've just left where I found it. Why haul it twice.

Though it does make things look a little cluttered at times.

At one point in summer I decided that the Small tame drowspider was sufficiently docile to let loose from it's rope. Turns out that the family of Giant moles eat spiders. I know, disgusting, right?

Oh, I forgot to mention the family of Giant moles. They live up near the upper cave, apparently trapped by their fear of the Giant drowspider. But they've started having little giant mole babies. Assuming that's not a contradiction.

All this work made me think I might need to clean up from time to time. Even Bob was giving me dirty looks. So I had him make a large tub. Bucket showers anyone? Good for getting rid of grime.

Another improvement I made was the addition of a weight bench near my room. Exercise is important for the mind and body they say. Though most of the people that say that do so for purely self-interested reasons no doubt.

Like I said earlier, at least I think I did, time spent further from the dice seems to have cleared my mind somewhat. I even found a strange platinum amulet in my pocket. Though how long it has been there I ... I cannot recall. It seems to call to me from time to time, whispering of power. After the dice I'm wary.

But in late fall a vision manifested itself to show me the true path.

It was beautiful and deadly. I watched it arrive and it promptly set the lower area on fire. Through the smoke I watched it blaze and burn, a thing of indescribable elemental power. A primal force of destruction come to show me the way. It was not friendly, but neither did it seem to be an enemy. Upon arriving it consumed a small region of the cavern and then remained where it was. I tried to approach it but it shot fire at me, blinding me with smoke and I ran for my cave, fearful it would attack.

And yet it did not. It simply was, neither friend, nor foe. An implacable raw elemental foe.

That night I had a dream, as it were. I saw in my mind an altar, built with rough hewn stone, a pentagram of stone in the middle with five more stones as points. The platinum amulet in the center, as focal point for the power that could be mine.

It took considerable effort hauling the stones to the right location. I kept this place secret, even from Bob. There was no reason for him to look into an old neglected ore vein. Near enough to the craft hall to be convenient, yet somewhat hidden as well.

The altar took shape, and upon placing the amulet upon it a wave of energy cascaded out from it, fusing the stone into one cohesive shape, a five pointed star. In the four cardinal direction lay the symbols of elemental power and arcane runes I did not recognize. I sat, weary contemplating this strange creation. This was both more powerful than the dice and more frightening.

I was not sure I should investigate this further but that night I had another dream. A sacrifice was required. A soul given in exchange for power. Has it not always been thus?

The very next day I brought one of the Giant Moles to the butchery. I needed more food supplies anyways. And really, they weren't that much to look at, and barely trainable. With bloodied hands I carried the soul energy to the stone, placing it in the center, the power I craved, the power of earth, was mine once I added additional stones to the surface, forming a small cairn around the pulsing soul. And with another flash it was all gone.

In it's place lay understanding. I looked at the runes to the north and found I could understand them. The words to a spell, to power. The ability to turn an enemy to stone. I ran off to try the spell on one of the other moles and found it worked perfectly. But as soon as I cast the spell the power fled from me and I could remember it no more.

The second soul was easier. I no longer saw the moles as fellows in my cave. I saw them as interlopers, as ... fuel. Once I had learned all I could I would confront that beast of flame and fire. And we would see whose power was stronger.

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10503

Year 4 is complete and the Hermit and his imaginary friend are thriving. vjmdhzgr the save is all yours. I will update journal entry tomorrow. Oh, be careful in the caves. There is a FB that may not be able to move but throws fireballs.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:16:38 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

HUMANS, Year 6, Spring

"Ethra, can you remind me again why we are confering with a homocidal robot? regarding how to pull this city out of a death spiral?"

"You're not being fair, Kofi!  You know he's programmed to make the hard choices neccesary to bring order in almost any situation.  Also, he's killed plenty of xenos too.  A much more accurate term would be 'genocidal', or 'omnicidal'."

-----------------

WHILE problem.difficulty == obvious {solve(problem);}

Ethra:   "OK, the SMAK-47 printed out a list of all the reasons people are upset.  Let's take a look."
Kofi:    "Looks like the number-one problem common to all these folks is that they're seeing friends and family killed.  Not much we can do about that directly until the riots die down."
SMAK-47: <Recommend PREEMPTIVE liquidation of all potential RIOTERS.>
Kofi:    "Next topic."

Kofi:   "Look at this -- most of the people who are extremely miserable are the ones who are actually seeing the bodies of loved ones laying decomposing in the streets."
SMAK-47: <Recommend RANDOM ACCESS STACK for expired MEATBAGS.>
Ethra:  "Oh!  Thats actually a pretty good idea.  Establish a morgue behind closed doors so that only a few haulers are exposed to this horror."
Kofi:   "Also, I'm going to retract the existing order that some corpses are forbidden to be moved away from the town square.  That must have been a mistake. I hope."

SMAK-47: <Coffin DEMAND exceeds coffin SUPPLY.  City LOGISTICS are INADEQUATE.>
Kofi:   "Well, Eth, the two of us can both become beaurocrats easily enough, and validate work orders for lots of coffins.  Let's use stone; we have tons of it from the destruction of Hillside and we might need wood for something else."
Ethra:  "I'll get some wheelbarrows and have someone actually haul a supply of stones up to the mason's hall, that will speed up production by a huge amount. Right now the professional masons are wasting time schlepping boulders manually up from the basement."

IF action.consequences == negative RETURN;

Ethra:   "Speaking of Hillside.  Do you see how many miners are sad or wounded because they were caught in cave-ins, when they're out there fighting that stupid Hill?"
Kofi:    "We can't abandon the assault on Hill!  It's our manifest destiny to level that pathetic rock.  Show geology who's boss, that's what I always say."
SMAK-47: <Assault on HILLSIDE is effective.  Correlated decrease in meatbag LIFE EXPECTANCY is conducive to long-term operational objectives."
Kofi:   "Um, on second thought, we could take a break."

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

Hermit year 4 has been finished and posted above. If no one is taking the orcs I may try to get them moving again.

But I do like the hermit, nice and simple. Only two people to keep track of. If only it didn't take so long to do darn near anything.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Alrighht, I'll probably start playing tomorrow. I have a question though, how should I write the updates? Before I had been dating them and doing a relatively long update for each season, but now people are only doing one update per year of similar size to what I did for a season. So I'm not sure what would be prefered. If nobody says anything I'll go back to the way I had it before, which I prefer.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Do it however you like!  Anyway the only one recently I see that was one report for the whole year is Hermit, which makes sense since it's just one guy.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Do it however you like!  Anyway the only one recently I see that was one report for the whole year is Hermit, which makes sense since it's just one guy.
Oh. Maybe I wasn't paying much attention to the posts. For sme period of time at least I did pay attention and it seemed like every different group posted at least one year as just one post. I'll go with the way I had been doing it then, I've gotten used to that from the three times I did it.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43