Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What does everyone think about Kobolds?  (Read 5478 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What does everyone think about Kobolds?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 12:36:27 pm »

The egg-laying is not necessarily pointing towards them being lizards. Platypus also lay eggs and they are mammals as was already said. Pretty crazy mammals, laying eggs, using electrolocation, being poisonous and whatnot. It's like evolution had a bad hang-over and felt like making a practical joke. xD

I think the key trait is kobolds being homeothermic. I don't think there are any homeothermic reptilia. Only mammals and birds have warm blood and kobolds have no beaks, tails or feathers, so...
Some reptiles can generate a limited amount of heat.  I agree that the level of heat they produce is significant, but its not like there are zero examples of reptile with mammalian features.

I'm surprised nobody has made a move to compare homeothrermic dinosaurs to kobolds yet.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:05 pm »

Not to mention that mammals evolved from reptiles. And before creationists complain, there are PLENTY of transitory forms.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 02:54:37 pm »

What do I think of kobolds?  Generally, I don't.

Except that I'd like them better if they were viviparous.  Something semi-canine laying eggs is just weird.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 03:43:57 pm »

What do I think of kobolds?  Generally, I don't.

Except that I'd like them better if they were viviparous.  Something semi-canine laying eggs is just weird.

Then you'd probably find the Theraspids wierd. I don't know if Cynognathus did live birth or not though.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:59 pm »

i hate the little runts. they keep spamming messages, they don't carry interesting weapons, are too weak to be FUN but not enough to be ignored, they keep stabbing my citizens, their clothing is too small and are immune to my cage traps. kobold massacres are among my favourite pastimes in adventure mode, however, so there's that

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »

I am also thinking kobolds are monotremes. Or the DF equivalent thereof.

Or at least primitive egg-laying mammals. What was this thing Dimetrodon was part of ? Diapsids or something ?

edit: oh nope it's synapsids

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »

Kolbolds are canine humanoids ...ie dog people.....but not domestecated and small and yippie....so fox-people...not sure about the laying eggs part, thats pure DF...but in the d&d universe they are dog people....

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:48 pm »

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 09:12:49 pm »

Here look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIeFcUl2SHs

That looks more like a really short and brown skinned goblin IMO. Don't know what that thing with the long arm in the corner is though.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:17 am »

Kolbolds are canine humanoids ...ie dog people.....but not domestecated and small and yippie....so fox-people...not sure about the laying eggs part, thats pure DF...but in the d&d universe they are dog people....
It's been said several times in the thread already they are small brown skinned humanoids with humanoid faces and glowing yellow eyes that lay eggs. I think it's safe to say they are nothing alike to DnD kobolds.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »

I am also thinking kobolds are monotremes. Or the DF equivalent thereof.
They're definitely monotremes. Something like an Bilby-person but without the tail?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bilbies/images/c_bilbies_at_night_5.JPG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

Uh, bilbies are marsupials, not monotremes.

Mugh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »

Here look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIeFcUl2SHs

Yeah, this is an old game of theirs, right? So one can assume this is how Toady and ThreeToe see kobolds in DF as well.
There's also this bit from the old dev list thing, though I dunno how relevant it is now:
Core90, PROPER KOBOLDS, (Future): Of course, this means different things to different people.  To us, a proper kobold is neither a chihuahua man nor a mini-draconian, but instead sort of a small mammaloreptilian humanoid with pointy ears and yellow eyes with a penchant for trickery and mischief, context-based sublanguage, poisonous critter collection, traps and kleptomaniacal hoarding.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

penchant for trickery and mischief
Yeah, that was why I mixed them up with gremlins.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »

I like kobolds. Sure, they could use some more definition in the game. A more complex civilization, better sites, and a broader niche than simply "occasional thieves". Still, they already fare much better than the animal men and gremlins in that regard. Most humanoid races in Dwarf Fortress lack definition and even sites. That situation will be remedied eventually, I'm sure: other things are just more important at the moment.

As for their appearance, I find myself thinking of these two images by the same artist on DeviantArt (even if the artist considers the former a goblin). They're somewhat consistent with the kobold drawn by Toady in Kobold Quest, as well (at least in regards to the fur and - in the first image - the eyes).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:16:44 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4