Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: ASOIAF RPG-An End to Summer (Game Thread)  (Read 5535 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASOIAF RPG-An End to Summer (Game Thread)
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 09:58:29 pm »

Rilmad keeps the crossbow where it's at, disbelief showing in his voice. "All that matters is that it's Snow, and I'm a peasant. As for where I live, just a local of the area. Now who are you and why are you and those drunken louts here?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2014, 02:48:32 am »

William brushes some of the snow from his hair, expression curling into a grimace as he examines the clouds.  An ill storm, for the summer, though winter had brought much worse than this.  It would still make the return to his seat upon the Coldspire longer in coming than he had hoped.

Worrying about the weather, it took the lord a moment to realize Frederich had spoken.  When he did, he brought his eyes down from the sky and back to his friend, raising an eyebrow in surprise.  He couldn't recall the knight-general ever claiming such a thing.  "Do you believe the wildling held back against you?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2014, 02:05:14 pm »

Elise wanders from the great hall to find Benjicot, hoping to learn the measure of the lord and the lord's heir.  Instead she finds the measure of northern justice.  She is frightened by what she sees.  The man stands convicted but in the mind of Elise it is not even clear that a crime has been committed.  The crowd shouts for blood so easily.  Elise slips away from the court as the sentence is pronounced without her cousin seeing her.  The sight of kin turning on kin is a dire portent she does not wish to associate with her first meeting of family.

Elise leaves the castle and is drawn towards the market, still pondering the harsh trial she saw.  It doesn't take much effort to find the bridge with the broken railing in a small town like this.  What harm in examining it?  Was the railing painted recently to prevent rot?  How old was this railing?  Although she is no expert in these matters Elise feels that someone must cast a sympathetic eye on the man's behalf before he is condemned.  Ignoring the questions on those around her Elise tests the strength of the railing on the opposite side of the bridge.  Was it shoddy construction that would give way at the weakest push or would it take a strong man in deadly anger to cause it to break?  Finally she takes a step back and gives a strong kick to the railing.

That is when Elise notices the shouting in the distance.  Already on edge from attracting attention her first instinct is to run but she realizes it is nothing more then the falling out of a few drunks.  Unless... Maynard did say that Kyle would be at the pub near this place.  Ignoring her instincts Elise hurries towards the noise to see the commotion.

The sight of one man, barely more then a boy, taking a beating from many is not a pleasant sight.  It is even more unpleasant then seeing a man-child under a toxic influence.  But Elise is hardly going to volunteer to take this mans place.  Perhaps some confusion could help...
"Look the lord's men at arms approach!  Get out of the way!"
As the onlookers look around for the warriors Elise shouted about Elise tries to slip into the bar and steal a weapon from the barkeeper among all the confusion.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 05:24:39 am »

It has been going on for too long. This Hal need to be thaught a lesson.

Henry throw his glove at Hal's face.

"Tomorrow at dawn, on the field behind the watermill. We'll see then if your courage is as big as your mouth."

This, and is other pressing business being done, Henry goes to town to try to increase his chances of victory. Namely, hire a nice whore to try to seduce Hal and make sure he's tired. If she don't succeed, at least make him drink.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:55:24 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 12:24:34 pm »

Kyle stops. That wasn't his father... Was it? No, of course not... No, his father hits much harder than that. Ugh... things would be much simpler if everything would STOP MOVING FOR A SECOND!

Kyle stops and the floor rises up to attack him, the nails in the wooden boards looking like tiny, mean eyes. Huh. Eventually, he manages a sitting position and watches as the armored blurs fight the fur wearing blurs. It seems the armor is beating the fur, despite being outnumbered-though all the blurs are sort of the same.

One of the armored blurs-which Kyle recognizes as a woman-throws another blur across the room, who lands on a table with nasty crack. Kyle feels like clapping.

Huh. This is fun to watch.

Another blur is heading toward him, a woman-shaped blur. Kyle wonders if this one has a mug to hit him with.

"Look the lord's men at arms approach!  Get out of the way!"

To his disappointment, the battle seems to break up at her pretty voice. A dim comprehension tells Kyle to join the tide that is leaving, before the guards find him here. Not that it will be the first time...and he'll likely get the blame...then again, he does have the whole bar to himself.

Rilmad keeps the crossbow where it's at, disbelief showing in his voice. "All that matters is that it's Snow, and I'm a peasant. As for where I live, just a local of the area. Now who are you and why are you and those drunken louts here?"

The woman narrows her hazel eyes. For the first time, Rilmad notices she has her own bow, slung underneath the horse blanket sitting in her lap. He can see the tip of the arrow, canted in his general direction.

'Boredom. Our Lord Fathers are talking and talking, at a summit in the Deepwood. We were brought like baggage-the younger of us-so, we decided to go hunting. And, a few fools got to drinking...I came to hunt, though you stole my boar, and those fool lords trampled it. My name is Sheera Linster, and my family are bannermen of the Ryswells of the Rills, Protectors of the Blazewater, Bannermen to the Starks, Defenders of the North...blah, blah, blah. Boring. Aren't you bored?' She asks, with a sardonic lilt.

William brushes some of the snow from his hair, expression curling into a grimace as he examines the clouds.  An ill storm, for the summer, though winter had brought much worse than this.  It would still make the return to his seat upon the Coldspire longer in coming than he had hoped.

Worrying about the weather, it took the lord a moment to realize Frederich had spoken.  When he did, he brought his eyes down from the sky and back to his friend, raising an eyebrow in surprise.  He couldn't recall the knight-general ever claiming such a thing.  "Do you believe the wildling held back against you?"

Fredrich rubs his hands together, as if feeling the cold.

"I think he spared my life, Sir. The second spear thrust-I didn't even see it-I've never seen a man as fast as him. He just tapped me in the same place, as before. Just a tap...why would he go low twice? It's like he was...mocking me.

I'm not sure he intended to win."

Was it shoddy construction that would give way at the weakest push or would it take a strong man in deadly anger to cause it to break?  Finally she takes a step back and gives a strong kick to the railing.

As the onlookers look around for the warriors Elise shouted about Elise tries to slip into the bar and steal a weapon from the barkeeper among all the confusion.

Elise gives a strong, but careful kick to the railing-it's not hard for her vivid imagination to guess what it was like for the man who fell into the roaring, icy river.

To her surprise, it makes a dutiful thudding sound but remains intact-a bit of a shudder, but no more. She inspects it closely-the rail is strong Ironwood, no more than a few years, and has been well treated with tars to prevent rotting from the foul weather of the North. The rest of bridge is likewise in more or less the same condition...

[KNOWLEDGE TEST=(9)
ELISE'S Knowledge 3D6=9
Success!]

she inspects the sight of the break, and find it has been replaced with a length of iron chain for the time-but, the two wooden slats that broke away before the mans push hang down from the railing in two neat pieces. Inspecting a bit closer, she can't help but think they bear the toothed mark of a craftsman's saw...as if the railing was carefully weakened, cut so thin that it would snap at the slightest force applied.

Elise notes the barfight was between fur clad northmen and...others, wearing heavy armor, who remind her of pirates-Ironmen. Well, was being the operative word-it seems everyone is fighting everyone in reach now. More Northmen are on the ground than the ones in armor.

"Look the lord's men at arms approach!  Get out of the way!" She says, leading to a milling of confusion. Men (And one hatchet-faced, black haired woman with a bloody nose) look to her, pausing in their mutual beatings, suddenly disentangling and rolling for the door.

[COMPETING THIEVERY/PERCEPTION TEST=
ELISE'S Thievery 4D6=9
BARTENDERS Perception 2D6=7
Success!]

During the confusion, Elise reaches behind the bar-while the bartender is distracted trying put out a fire from lamp that 'accidentally' fell-and snags something heavy and made of Iron. She brings it out and looks at before tugging it under her cloak. It's a beautiful and superbly balanced handaxe, with a rose filigree in the dark black steel-it looks very sharp. She would guess it might have originally come from the Vale...

Elise gains a Superior Handaxe
Damage: Athletics-1
Traits: Defensive, +1 (Add this number to your combat rating when wielding)
Off-hand, +1 (Add this number to your damage rating, when attacking with this tandem style.)
Superior Craftsmanship, +1 to all fighting rolls when wielding

Elise has a feeling the guards really will show up soon enough. The young man-child (who is wearing very fine armor, and looks sort of familiar) is still lolling on the ground like a hound. Agh, poetics.

It has been going on for too long. This Hal need to be thaught a lesson.

Henry throw his glove at Hal's face.

Hal smiles smugly.

"I'll be there, Henry snow. Just make sure you come alone-you don't want witnesses to the thrashing I'm going to give you."

And later, a whore.

"Just keep him busy, you mean?" She asks. A pretty young woman, Henry thinks, trying to convince a thin looking blonde to do what he asks. A bit too smart for her own good, too. He tried to frame it as merely hiring for a friend, but the woman saw right through that. Otherwise, he gave no details.

"I suppose I don't mind collecting two-fers one night o' work...but, we know this fella you want distracted down here too, the Oak boy. He's got a nasty temper, and most of the girls don't like him, not that anyone has ever bothered to ask us. What if he figgers to break in my teeth? I don't suppose a mighty Lord would protect me, will he?" She asks coyly, likely trying to wager a better price-though the look on her face seems to betray she actually is afraid of Hal.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:28:16 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 12:55:01 pm »

((Whee, nothing like exactly hitting a skill check!))

From first glance Elise had thought that the drunken lad was getting the stuffing beaten out of him all on his own.  As she slips into the building she sees that he has friends joining in his punishment.  That's something of a relief, it will keep the young fool alive.

Her impulse was to find something suitably scary to prevent a murder if need be.  But by the time she jumps away from the bar, helpfully stamping out a few flames, that doesn't seem necessary.  Splendid, splendid, now she just needs to disappear out the back and no one needs to know she was here.  The young man can get the hiding that he sorely deserves.  The young man who looks familiar...

"Oh stranger take you!" Elise mutters under her breath as she stomps over to the man.  She snatches a glass of beer from the table, nice and cool with a thin foam of bubbles on the top.  She throws it in the young idiots face then follows the shock up with a hard slap.
"Will you walk or will you be dragged?"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 12:59:30 pm »

"Well, I can hardly spend the night outside his door protecting you. Don't you have ways to deal with unsavory clients?"

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 01:10:39 pm »

"Well, I can hardly spend the night outside his door protecting you. Don't you have ways to deal with unsavory clients?"

The woman frowns.

"I usually threaten to stick them with me' knife. Most back off...I'm not turning down your money, Ser, just talking-a lady can get killed in the Lords Games. Do you think he'll come after me?"

Henry thinks that depends on the outcome of the fight. If Henry wins, Hal will be angry and paranoid-he probably will hurt her, if he remembers, just to take it out on someone...unless you kill him. If Hal wins, on the other hand, he'll probably never consider the woman's face, unless it's for a 'victory lap'.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:51 pm »

Kyle groans and goes to get up and leave. A whole bar to oneself is fun unless you're going to get in trouble for it. And some rude blur just splashed him with drink and slapped him! Why, he should give them a piece of his mind!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »

"Are you trying to walk as slowly as possible?" Elise tries to drag the man-child to the door faster while scanning outside, wondering if they will have time to disappear before trouble catches them.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »

As much as he'd like to tell the truth, Henry cannot afford to loose this fight. Hal had been badgering him for too long, and if he doesn't show once and for all to him and his highborn friends that he is to be reckoned with, he shall never have any peace.

"If he wins, he'll have no reasons to come after you, and might even thank you for his victory. If he looses, I'll make sure he is in no shape to cause you any troubles. Here's your pay, and some extra for your silence."

With those words, Henry was ready to leave. He had lied to the whore of course, he had never killed a man before, and wasn't sure he'd be able to do so, even if he won the fight.

If the whore agrees to the plan, Henry spend the evening oiling his armor and readying his gear before going to sleep early.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 02:25:22 pm »

Rilmad mostly kept his cool, until he saw the bow with it's arrow pointed straight at him. This only served to make him move a couple of paces towards the side. "You're a long way from deepwood out here. And at this moment I'd much prefer to be bored and having a boar carcass slung over my shoulders rather than have to deal with some louts trampling my livelihood!"

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 02:29:12 pm »

"It's possible," William mused.  "Had he won, more of his band would have likely died.  He may have been a Wildling, but he did not seem like a fool.  It may be that he lost intentionally to spare them."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2014, 04:48:32 am »

ALESSA

Just so.

Alessa gathers some Persimmon seeds that Almato just helpfully managed to bring along, and climbs up into the rafters, holding seeds in one hand a shiny silver stag in the other. And then she waits...and waits...and waits...

Some time later, she is woken from a near-drowse by a small bird landing in her left hand, quietly nibbling at the seeds.
(Sorry there, Net troubles impeding everything-progress here ._.
Someone, please post for me if I've been absent for a day or so. Or at least edit your post to include a snippet for me--it can then be edited out later if by some miracle I'm able to post again, thanks.)

Alessa stared quite some time at the specimen on her hand. A Starlet, she presumed--rather thought, but she had a hard time distinguishing such notions when her attention was captured by her teacher's words: Do no harm to the bird.

She wondered what to do, and expended a veritable amount of focus not to do anything brash; her awareness was heightened, and she felt every movement of her body, including the subtle touch of the wind, in accordance with the movements of the miniscule bird in her hands. Thinking a way to get it back down, considering the height she climbed and the way back, would turn into a precarious idea.

To cup her hand with the other and leap down to the floor below was the fastest way: her knowledge of momentum and gravity would cover the fall, and it was only the impact of touching the ground that would be the most jarring experience. Looking back the way she came, even climbing back down would be a hardship, given the knowledge she retained from her teacher in these matters.

Though she did recall: Be Flexible. Inquisitiveness and panic was a bundle wrapped just like an explosive concoction. She had to get its focus into control, too.

Slooooowly cup hand, do not disturb tiny bird. Hum in a near silent tone, a song of peace and calm.
Then with the bird secure (hopefully it hadn't flown...off), leap down and land in a way to not impact my hands!
Then walk, calmly, over to my teacher, presuming all goes well.

[Err, spend one destiny point to balance the rolls, if I understand the DP system correctly?]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]