Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Europa Universalis 4 LP - The Papal States  (Read 5376 times)

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check - semi interactive Europa Universalis 4 LP
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 05:16:46 pm »

Suggested goals if you go with the Papal States: Amass enough military power to put down the Protestant reformation by whatever means necessary. Try to get Constantinople and Jerusalem under the control of a Christian nation.

I don't think the first part is really doable as the Papal States unless the reformation's a century or so late, sadly. The second is pretty likely if this goes similarly to my Tuscan game.

Suggested goal for papacy: unite the HRE under papal rule (and by that I mean no other nations in the HRE other than the papacy itself).
Is dismantling the HRE cheating?

It's not cheating b/c you basically have to own it to do that anyway.

In my Popey B multiplayer game I managed to basically grab all of modern day Italy plus Venice, and I made £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££. Let's see how much better you can do! :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:15 pm »

Suggested goal for papacy: unite the HRE under papal rule (and by that I mean no other nations in the HRE other than the papacy itself).
Is dismantling the HRE cheating?
Only if you don't take nearly all imperial lands first.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »

State of the world: 1444

Spoiler: The world! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Us and the neighbours (click to show/hide)
We own Roma (of course), Romanga, and the little white dot over in France, Avignon. Major neighbours are Naples (in purple, currently a subject nation of Aragon), France (the big blue blob), Milan (purplish, in Northern Italy) and Austria (in white). Austria's not really a neighbour, but they're going to be the major stumbling block in any given war we're waging on territory north of us, due to the fact that they are the current Holy Roman Emperor and get called into war by any member states of the HRE when a non-HRE nation declares war on us. We're not a member of the HRE and we can't move our capital, so we can't become one. Sadly, everyone between us and Denmark is a member of the HRE. Expansion that way is gonna be awfully tricky. France is busy in the Hundred Years War with England, which they'll win. The AI can't win it as England.

Other notable neighbours include Provence (light blue), Urbino (the blue one between Roma and Romanga) and Tuscany (darker blue to the north of Roma). Urbino's likely to be war number 1; we have more troops than they do, they're in our way and they're not a member of the HRE. I'd like to take Provence to link up Avignon at least by sea, and because it's a damn good province.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Milan, Siena (Grubby white near Roma) and Tuscany have all declared us as rivals. You'll also note that our ruler, Pope Eugenius IV, is fucking terrible. Not the worst ruler around, but pretty terrible, so we're going to be behind on tech until he dies. Luckily, he's 61 and I'm going to be using him as a general, massively increasing his risk of death. With a bit of luck, we'll get a better Pope next. I'll likely counterrival Siena and Tuscany, using the third rival slot for Urbino and see if I can't get a conquest mission to fire. With a bit of luck we'll annex them before anyone else cares, although I'm going to need allies just in case. Probably Hungary (Reddish brown, across the Gulf of Venice). I'll also likely want France and/or Poland as allies to help combat Austria.

Spoiler: National ideas (click to show/hide)
We're also going to need to figure out what our first set of national ideas are going to be. I'm going to be daft and leave it up to you all. We get 8 of these groups through the game and we can drop them later to replace them, although we only get 10% of the points spent back. Assuming we don't have any -idea costs, they're 2800 of the relevant monarch points to fill out an idea group, so dropping groups is expensive as all hell.
Spoiler: Administative ideas (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diplomatic ideas (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Military ideas (click to show/hide)

Overall campaign goal is to take Constantinople and Jerusalem as our own. Should we manage that, I'll let you pick another goal. I'd like to declare the Kingdom of God on Earth by taking all of Italy, but it's gonna be awfully tricky to do until we get a lot bigger. I should also note that I'm playing on Ironman mode for the first time, so lucky nations are on historical, meaning that Castille, the Ottomans, Muscovy, England, France, Austria, Portugal, Poland, Brandenburg and Sweden are all going to be a little stronger. Normally I play with lucky nations off, so I'm probably going to lose to the Ottomans the first time I go for them.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis 4 LP - The Papal States
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 03:42:25 pm »

Get Religion as a national idea, and death to Urbino.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:34 pm »

Eat Urbino before someone else does. And then maybe Tuscany.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:00 pm »

Trade first for dat Papal Bank! Also, Urbino first is a good idea. Try to ally at least one of the following, and if possible two, in this order : France, Austria, Great Britain, Venice.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:33 pm »

I'll go with religion for the 1st idea.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »

I'd say get administrative first.

Mercenaries for God!

also cheaper coring costs
May the mass times acceleration be with you

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »

Religion is best!

And I was totally wondering "Wow, that LP got revived?!"  Then noticed EU4.  Hope you have the same success!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 05:38:20 am »

A note on this: El Dorado's getting released in two days and will probably be incompatible for saves. Expect an update with El Dorado on the 26th or 27th.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »

So, how much different is 4 to 3?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »

So, how much different is 4 to 3?

The general concept is the same, but there are vast improvements. Badboy is gone in favour of aggressive expansion, which is tracked per nation. Monarch points are used to research tech and perform actions like decreasing revolt risk and lowering inflation, so that snowballing is reduced. Colonial nations now form automatically and are the rule rather than the exception. As a player of EU 2 and a fan of EU 3, I'd say it's another leap in the right direction.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 03:44:29 pm »

The trading system has also been massively improved and isn't just "assign merchant priorities on day 1 and ignore forever". I will likely briefly cover it when I update.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »

Oh daym, forgot about that. Yeah, trade actually moves between CoT's now. National Ideas are now filtered into groups and every country has it's *own* national idea group it automatically unlocks from every time you get a few national ideas that you buy with points. It's really good.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »

Get administrative ideas, we need to conquer the infidels and heretics before we can convert them and we need to grow stronger before we can conquer them.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 [2]