Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What sort of adventurer do you create?  (Read 2971 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
What sort of adventurer do you create?
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:04 pm »

Since we already have so many cool threads about what people do during or after their great adventures, I thought it'd be interesting to find out what people do before their forays into the world, during the character creation part of adventure mode, and what sort of person/dwarf/elf/goblin/kobold/Christ-knows-what-else they get out of the character creator.
I'll start us off.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Regards,
Dampe

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of adventurer do you create?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:54:25 pm »

Usually a demigod human swordsman with lots of dodging and a bit of reading and swimming, along with other skills.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Blade312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:15:33 pm »

I usually make a demigod human that has max strength, agility, and toughness and i use wrestling, biting, striking, kicking, and dodging. Then I throw away my spear as soon as i get in the world.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:47:45 am »

I make a hero normally human adventurer with one point in strength, agility, toughness, endurance, willpower, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense. Then put five points into whatever weapon skill I want, two in fighter, observer, shield user, armor user, and dodger, and one in reader. That does of course change if I want to be a wrestler, or an archer, or maybe want to try and commit to stealth, or whatever.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:38:17 am »

I usually play a human demigod with the wiki's suggested build thought I usually start fewer points in weapons and shields and a few more in swimming and climbing. He's a righteous hero who goes about stabbing wild animals, wrestling bandits to death and slaying anything that catches his interest. Until he Achieves legendary status, then he becomes a murderous super soldier.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:00:16 pm »

Since October, usually an illiterate dwarf (no training, especially no auto-wrestling, since that's hugely exploitive given how its stat gains work particularly in relation to fighter gains on an unconscious opponent)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The build is pretty loose since no one needs that much observer, but it's fun and efficient enough to solo all fights at close to minimum stat requirements (more so if with sword than spear).

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »

Since October, usually an illiterate dwarf

I always put novice reader on my adventurers. You never know when you'll come across a necromancer's slab.
Regards,
Dampe

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:05 pm »

Speed, so you can run away from things, and Endurance, so you can keep on running. Recuperation is unecessary unless you want your adventurer in Fortress Mode. Memory is useful to have if your RL stat isn't up to keeping track of where your adventurer's been wandering around.

Point in Swimming, point in Reading, a bunch of points in Armour User (so you can run away from things even in armour!), and some points in defensive skills. Wrestling kinda counts, since the skill increases your chances of being able to break away from grabs. Observer probably helps with seeing an attack coming and being able to catch the offending body part, but I'd rather dodge away to their side or back and attack them from there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »

I usually found out I could hire a large amount of companions with out skill or fame so I just usually bump up my social states and dump the rest in climbing, and reading.
Once I hit what I think is my limit of guys I find a spot to park the remaining group somewhere then leave to continue hiring more folks, this keeps up until I have about 20 to 30 companions on a good day.
after which I do my background job which is either being a fortress guard or being a lieutenant to some guys army. Usually all these guys just get murder by the local visit of the common demon.
Don't plan on fighting bandits since watching a single demon paint a keep floor with my men seems a better glory and FUN than doing the same to some blokes stealin' items from frequently generated peasants.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:11 am »

Since October, usually an illiterate dwarf

I always put novice reader on my adventurers. You never know when you'll come across a necromancer's slab.

Were I to make a powerleveler, then yes I'd take reading since who knows what the future may hold (all sorts of good madness). Endurance would be the dumpstat here instead of reading.

Any character I'm playing strict rogue won't use a slab or book, or go vampire/werebeast. So, no required reading.

The reading skill would be more useful if you needed it for flavor-related whatnots such as etchings on engravings or anything with a narrative.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:28:32 am »

A human peasant outsider, novice reader and swimmer.

In 40.xx, I have to make one with swimming skill, since I found that you can drown while learning swimming! (In .34 I had no problem getting out of water just in time as a dabblimg swimmer)
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:11:35 pm »

Demigod adventurer, usually human, usually female. Maxed out strength and agility, sometimes toughness. Reading and swimming at novice, shield and dodge at adequate, rest put into whatever weapon skill I'm going with.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »

Hero. I min the stats that are (apparently) pretty much useless and put most into strength, agility and toughness with a bit in the social skills.

Always remember SWIM! (Lol) If you 'flounder' in water it is a real pain to train up to a sensible level without drowning.
Also CLIMB! Climbing is a difficult skill to grind, and if you are less than competent you are likely to fall down a cliff or something.
OBSERVER is quite useful. Ambushes hurt, and it is another one difficult to train.

It's usually best to pick one weapon/fighting skill and raise it a fair amount or you will have difficulty recruiting companions.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »

When I want to have fun, I play as a dragon.  Stats and skills really don't matter in that case.

When I actually want to play I usually do the human swordman thing that seems to be popular (probably because swords and human armor are easy to find).

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »

I play as myself (as I would be in the Dwarf Fortress world):

Peasant:

Below Avg Str, End,
Above Avg Agi
Above Avg Analytical Ablity
Above Avg Patience
Avg everything else

Novice Reader
Adequate Observer
Adequate Thrower
Novice Swimmer (flailing my arms counts right?)

With the new sneak system, its possible to survive even with this build. Find a bandit camp, wait until the morons fall asleep, slit their throats (or slowly tear them limb from limb, they don't wake up either way). Sneak every where to increase Ambushing, repeat.

Pages: [1] 2