Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opinion on Elves  (Read 3084 times)

NoDiamond2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Opinion on Elves
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:36 am »

At the risk of losing the respect of the entire DF community, why does everybody hate the Elves (besides their disapproval of cutting down trees)?

Personally, I like Elves. The whole living wood thing really struck me as cool. But then again, I like all the major races of the game.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on Elves
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »

It's mostly because of their attitudes in Dwarf mode. Not only are they unreasonably demanding when it comes to logging, they're also quite snooty in general. Moreover, as merchants, they can be very picky and easily upset-able, and, more  importantly, they also have strange priorities when it comes to establishing trade relations; they're LESS likely to sell you things you may want, like tamed giant animals, if they're happy with your fortress, opting to sell you junky stuff like clothes instead. That's not even considering that they're liable to already be at war with your civ before you even begin playing, thanks to their alien morality. These give plenty of reasons for players to not even bother tolerating their presence.

In Adventure Mode, it's less about disrespect for the race as a whole as much as it is annoyance at their culture. Anyone raised elvish are often a liability: they start off with useless wooden weapons, and because they're at peace with nature, they won't assist you if you're getting mauled by wildlife. Also, aside from the view, there's very little reason to actually visit an elvish site, once again due to their crappy wooden equipment.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:51:01 pm by ShinQuickMan »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:46 pm »

They're also quite easy to pick on, especially since the archery nerf since that used to be their only real threat. They use wooden armor and weapons which even if they somehow managed to make full artifact quality wooden equipment, would be completely outclassed by a barely trained dwarf with a copper axe.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »

In Adventure Mode, they're overpowered (when you use them) mainly because of big speed.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:46 pm »

In Adventure Mode, they're overpowered (when you use them) mainly because of big speed.
I'd add a modifier to this statement.
They're overpowered if when used by a player if the player can get their hands on metal weapons.
I cannot kill ANYTHING with wooden swords.
Regards,
Dampe

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:06:12 pm »

Since they all have perfect memories, you can also dump that stat and still have your adventurer be able to mentally map large areas.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »

Since they all have perfect memories, you can also dump that stat and still have your adventurer be able to mentally map large areas.
By "perfect memory", you mean that the map of a lair etc. never disappears if you play as an elf?  I may have to ignore my hatred and try playing as one, because I really hate getting lost in mazes...

NoDiamond2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »

I've never had any problems in Dwarf Mode, aside from pissing them off by trying to sell them a wooden table.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:38 pm »

I've never had any problems in Dwarf Mode, aside from pissing them off by trying to sell them a wooden table.
I believe their diplomats issuing crazy restrictions on how many trees you can cut down was removed a while back.  It may have been put back in at a more reasonable level recently? 

There is a long and proud history of defying the woodcutting mandates given by the elves and then slaughtering them when they get mad and attack.  Or just killing them for fun.  Or whatever.  Killing them.  I must admit I've never done it myself, but I can remember getting annoying complaints from them in 40d, and possibly DF2010 (not sure).

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 05:20:08 pm »

Opinion on elves?

They task me; they heap me; I see in them outrageous weakness, with an inscrutable arrogance sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the green elf, agent, or be the green elf principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, dwarf; I'd strike the earth if it insulted me...and so I do.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:59 pm »

By "perfect memory", you mean that the map of a lair etc. never disappears if you play as an elf?  I may have to ignore my hatred and try playing as one, because I really hate getting lost in mazes...
It'll disappear if you go too far away or sleep / wait, but otherwise you can map out quite a large area. A dwarf with high Memory (can't remember if Superior, or just High) can mentally map most of a dwarven fortress, with only the edges of some of the sprawling bedroom levels being cut off.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gallahan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:52 pm »

I'd add a modifier to this statement.
They're overpowered if when used by a player if the player can get their hands on metal weapons.
I cannot kill ANYTHING with wooden swords.

It's hard mode for sure.

But when I'm feeling especially sadistic, I gen a legendary fighter swordself to beat people to death slowly. Strangely enough, you're able to sever hands, feet, and even heads (but not the lower/upper arms/legs for some reason) with a wooden long sword if you're proficient enough. Doesn't happen often, though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:54:54 pm by Gallahan »

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 03:37:24 am »

I think it's a roleplaying thing, since traditionally dwarf is lawful and elf is chaotic, and in df, elves are cannibals. Hence both dawrf and human are supposed to detest elf.

However, many player-controlled adventurers are chaotic cannibals themselves!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:39:42 am by §k »
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:11:13 am »

However, many player-controlled adventurers are chaotic cannibals themselves!

Mine certainly are. I don't particularly dislike elves. I always show them the same degree of respect I show other races (except for kobolds). They are definitely an annoyance in fortress mode though. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:13:54 am by ClorrProdigal »

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:32:40 am »

Is it just me, or is fist fighting more effective than wood?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;
Pages: [1] 2