Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Opinion on Elves  (Read 3083 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: Opinion on Elves
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 10:31:29 am »

Is it just me, or is fist fighting more effective than wood?
It probably is.
Regards,
Dampe

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 11:39:01 pm »

For what it's worth, I quite like the Dwarf Fortress elves. As others have mentioned they're annoying during trading. That being said, after years of playing I've hardly ever managed to upset elven traders, and never do so deliberately. It's common sense, really - don't trade them wood. They also bring caged animals. Besides, as far as depictions of elves go, Dwarf Fortress is up there alongside the wood elves of the Elder Scrolls games as my favourite; largely because of the cannibalism and ruthlessness.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:03:30 am by Taffer »

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 02:57:22 am »

I like dwarven raised elves like cacame. my civ has a decently badass ranger queen who seems interesting.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 12:15:58 pm »

I like dwarven raised elves like cacame. my civ has a decently badass ranger queen who seems interesting.

Elves that join dwarven civs are among the most dangerous fighters in the game.  Elves have very high stats, the only thing that keeps them from being overpowered is their laughable wooden weapons.  An elf wielding steel is a force to be reckoned with.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:15 am »

Yeah, I don't get why DF'ers don't like elves. I mean, they EAT THE CORPSES OF THEIR FALLEN ENEMIES! What's dwarfier than that! Yeah, they won't cut down trees, but everybody's got a weird part.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 11:04:42 am »

Yeah, I don't get why DF'ers don't like elves. I mean, they EAT THE CORPSES OF THEIR FALLEN ENEMIES! What's dwarfier than that! Yeah, they won't cut down trees, but everybody's got a weird part.

DF'ers don't like elves because DF subculture tells them they should hate elves. Simple as that. It's a largely unquestioned meme. (Queue jokes about burning the elf lover in magma)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:16:35 am by Taffer »

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 06:15:12 pm »

Additional thoughts:

While I don't play elf, I should add I always remove wood armor/weapons from entity raws. I don't mind them being a bit more lively.

Randomly, I did try to see if they could have beards, which did not work.

More marginally, dwarf and elf is better as Brothers Grimm, since they're both much weirder there than from the Tolkien lineage.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:55 pm »

I like them, but i doesnt think about them as about elfves from Tolkien books. They... have They own rules. They live on trees, are quite week but very gargerous looking persons. So i like them, just because They look cool and... They have They rules. Okey, They love trees, but They are bringing a lot of it with them, so i am doesn't forced to do too much loging myself. I never pissed them of because of loging, even after courple of years, so i have not any problems with them what i did not caused. I do not like selling my bins or barrels, just because, They are mine and i always need more of them. But They happily get my plants, gems, weapons and They even use selled metal weapons in adventure mode (or They are not longer only wood users sometimes?). And They are slow to angry, if you once or twice try sell them some wooden item just because you made mistake, They will not attack you.
Elves are selling containters and some good booze which my dwarfs love and a lot of fruits, for even more booze. Just in 40.x They doesnt want bring soo much booze like eariel, and remember, do not buy seeds from They because most of them is useless. :)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 01:09:52 pm »

When playing Dwarf Mode, I get along fine with Elves: I used to almost never use any wood (no beds aside) and thus elves would be less annoyed, and I kept to the 'no wood trading' thing. If they get annoyed because, y'know, my mood-stricken craftsdwarf needs wood otherwise he'll go insane, I can understand that (and often refrain from cutting trees for a while as penance) but when I'm making beds for my dorfs (WHO NEED THEM) and they get annoyed and attack me I'll kill 'em all.
FUNFACT: once an elf attacking my fort walked clear into my throne room deep in the mountain (for the dwarf king when he arrived) and just wandered around until a hammerdwarf of mine blasted his head off. His skull landed on the throne. It was pretty symbolic etc.

In adventure mode they're just an added challenge I sometimes go for. FUNFACT 2: This one time, I was rescuing children from a Dark Fortress and this one elf child (I forget the name) singlehandedly brutalised about 4 trolls and a goblin before being struck down. It was truly hilarious.
thincake
Pages: 1 [2]