Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A more Gamey world  (Read 1797 times)

Nasferatu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A more Gamey world
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:18:29 pm »

I want to slap my brainstorm on here.

I love to mess around with the raws and make weird stuff I was wondering if there is a interest in a kind of gamey world

What I mean can be said through examples

Monkeys spit seeds
Cats cough up hairballs
Dwarf farts cause miasma.
Hedgehogs gotta go fast
maybe offensive stereotypes
etc.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: A more Gamey world
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »

Hm... You could have it so that dead animals always have gold, swords, and other valuables on them.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:52 pm »

maybe offensive stereotypes

Nothing good can come of this. The other ideas are fun, though!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:31 am »

1. Not too difficult, though they'll be sorta globby seeds
2. ohohohoh, very undifficult; your dwarves will even have to clean them up!
3. Impossible
4. Certainly
5. Nah

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:55 am »

That'd be great if creatures dropped gold, silver, and copper coins instead of corpses, so butchering would be your main meat source.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:52:27 am »

That'd be great if creatures dropped gold, silver, and copper coins instead of corpses, so butchering would be your main meat source.

...Slaughtering. You butcher dead things, you slaughter live ones.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:54:03 am »

A lot of mods do things like this.

Giving animals the LARGE_PREDATOR tag will cause them to randomly attack wandering adventurers.  A high vision arc or EXTRAVISION will also help ensure that they spot the adventurer upon entering battle.  Giving them high BRAVERY will make them more likely to attack threatening adventurers, and natural DISCIPLINE skill will keep them from running away.  Making a bunch of creatures like this will make wandering the wilds significantly more RPG-ish with regular random encounters.

To make things even more interesting, you can divide individual 'monster' species into castes that don't resemble each other at all, which will allow groups of them to attack together.  Like make one caste fast and melee-focused, one caste with a bunch of syndrome-inflicting reactions, one slow and durable caste... then they will attack as a team, forcing you to use strategy in battle.

Just make sure the monsters aren't too tough, since they will attack adventurers (not to mention fortresses) of all levels, and you don't want to be constantly in danger of being murdered by magical super-wolves.  Or at least make them slow enough to run away from.  Alternatively, you can divide them up by biome - low level adventurers should stay out of the swamps and deserts, for example.  Or just restrict particularly dangerous monsters to EVIL biomes.

Adding extra butcher objects will allow you to give special rewards to monster hunters.  You can then give adventurers and fortresses reactions that utilize these extra objects by collecting enough of them.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:52 am »

Then why was Geralt of Rivia referred to as the Butcher of Blaviken despite the events that earned him that moniker consisting of him killing large amounts of *live* people, as opposed to cutting up dead ones?

Seriously, I have no idea.

In regards to the OP, if you're looking to make a more 'gamey' world, what about adding in Magical + 1 Shortswords, or Rare +3 Longbow of Searing.
What about having princesses trapped in castles, guarded by dragon turtles?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:13 am »

In regards to the OP, if you're looking to make a more 'gamey' world, what about adding in Magical + 1 Shortswords, or Rare +3 Longbow of Searing.
Weapon materials called "+1" through "+5".
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:37:37 am »

Then why was Geralt of Rivia referred to as the Butcher of Blaviken despite the events that earned him that moniker consisting of him killing large amounts of *live* people, as opposed to cutting up dead ones?

Sometimes there's creative license with nicknames, like when your captain of the guard is referred to as the Salty Peacock of Embers, even though the events that earned him the name involved beating elves with a wooden training sword. ^^

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 10:52:39 pm »

Or, more likely, I was talking game mechanics.