Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The 'Nothing In Particular' Tileset  (Read 2315 times)

InfinityOps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The 'Nothing In Particular' Tileset
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:58 am »

Hey, I'm new here.

So, I just got into customizing tilesets, and I finished one that I'm feeling pretty good about. I present the Nothing in Particular Tileset: The Tileset About Nothing! This doesn't have any one theme or style associated with it, I just changed 18 of the original sprites to my own. The changes are rather simplistic, and don't require any raw changes. It also may or may not be a work-in-progress, depending on feedback. If any of my custom tiles look similar or identical to other people's, it's purely coincidental; I would not knowingly plagiarize anyone else's work. Check it out if you want.

Tiles are rectangular, 16x18, and the recommended resolution is 1280x450. It seems to look fine in both windowed and fullscreen mode.

Feel free to comment and offer suggestions!

Previews:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“It’s not about hating a guy on the other side because someone told you to. I mean, you should hate someone because they’re an asshole, or a pervert, or snob, or they’re lazy, or arrogant or an idiot or know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don’t hate a person because someone told you to. You have to learn to despise people on a personal level."

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Nothing In Particular' Tileset
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:31:54 am »

I think it is a great start! The dwarves remind me of a game I used to play when I was young and had a dial up modem. :D I am always a sucker for different designs of tile floors. They look pretty snazy.  Welcome to the forums! We are glad to have you here!

The first thing I generally do when I start a tileset is start working on all the wall tiles (rows 12-14). Once I come up with a good design for those it helps with designing the other tiles. It never hurts to look at what other people have done and steal ideas become inspired! I think every artist here has something amazing and stylish about what they do. And there are no two alike. I hope I have given some positive feedback. I think you aught to keep going with it.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

InfinityOps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:31 pm »

Thanks!

I initially did want to mess with the wall tiles, maybe make them look like brick walls. The game uses the same tiles for tree branches, though. So I need to think of a way to modify those, without screwing up the way the trees look. I may have to look into changing some of the raws around.
“It’s not about hating a guy on the other side because someone told you to. I mean, you should hate someone because they’re an asshole, or a pervert, or snob, or they’re lazy, or arrogant or an idiot or know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don’t hate a person because someone told you to. You have to learn to despise people on a personal level."

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »

Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.