Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Horrified" needs to be nerfed  (Read 5603 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Horrified" needs to be nerfed
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:15:52 am »

Right now, 20 of the 180 dwarves in my fort are stressed, and the sole reason for that is the overly long list of "He was horrified when seeing Smustu McGoblin die" and such. I'm not saying we should get rid of it altogether but at least nerf its effects on the stress levels.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: "Horrified" needs to be nerfed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:47 am »

I honestly just considered posting that "I saw someone die today" short book, but I think that might be counted as shock images.

Which is to say that I think it's fine. Critters die in horrible ways in DF.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:03 am »

Hopefully in the future there'll be modifiers based on the horrifyingness of the death.

Seeing Smutsu McGoblin dying from being cleanly beheaded, or a fractured/broken neck isn't nearly as horrifying as seeing Urist McDwarf dying from having his eyes plucked out, fingers and toes chopped off, gelded, forced to eat his own eyes and ears and mouth and nose, innards ripped out, flesh flayed clean from the bone, then finally being left to die slowly in a pool of vinegar and lemon juice.

There's different circumstances, is what I'm saying.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:20:56 am »

Hopefully in the future there'll be modifiers based on the horrifyingness of the death.

Seeing Smutsu McGoblin dying from being cleanly beheaded, or a fractured/broken neck isn't nearly as horrifying as seeing Urist McDwarf dying from having his eyes plucked out, fingers and toes chopped off, gelded, forced to eat his own eyes and ears and mouth and nose, innards ripped out, flesh flayed clean from the bone, then finally being left to die slowly in a pool of vinegar and lemon juice.

There's different circumstances, is what I'm saying.
The absence of a mechanism like that is basically why it needs to be nerfed. Seeing the remnants of a dwarf after he has had a magma incident in the magma forge room isn't as bad as seeing the aftermath of what you described...
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:13 am »

Only 20?
I don't think everybody is a natural soldier, so maybe you can train those who don't have an iron will, until they "didn't feel anything after seeing xxx died".
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:09 am »

I would be stressed too if I were to live in a fortress "painted in blood". Try to remove refuse from sight and deactivate refuse hauling in stressed dwarves.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »

Only 20?
What do you mean "only 20"? As in you got far more stressed dwarves?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:07 pm »

Only 20?
What do you mean "only 20"? As in you got far more stressed dwarves?
Well you have 180 dorfs, I seldom have more than 80. :P

Usually I see, xxx cancels store item in stockpile: horrified, or xxx cancels pick up equipment, horrfied.
The first happens when the dorf tries to bring some refuse to the corpse/refuse stockpile, and the second happens when someone wants to pick up a troll fur trousers to replace his tattered one from a goblin corpse.

I just wonder, if they know there's a corpse there, why do they still go there?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:09:34 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 05:09:42 am »

What disturbs me is that dwarves seem to be equally horrified by dead goblins/kobolds than by dead dwarves/allies.

Yes, a dead goblin's intestines splattered all across the hallway should noticeably stress dwarves. But not as much as a dead dwarf.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:17 am »

What disturbs me is that dwarves seem to be equally horrified by dead goblins/kobolds than by dead dwarves/allies.

Yes, a dead goblin's intestines splattered all across the hallway should noticeably stress dwarves. But not as much as a dead dwarf.
Although wether a dead goblin or a dead dwarf causes more stress should also be influenced by the dwarf's TOLERANT facet. A dead goblin would cause less stress when TOLERANT is low than a dead dwarf, although not the other way around.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:45 pm »

I don't know how many of you have witnessed death beforehand, but I figured that seeing someone die from any violent act, including suicide, should be pretty horrifying. Since beings in DF aren't watching any television, a death of one of the few members of a small town like a fortress would be pretty fear inducing, since it reminds them of their own mortality and such etc. Isn't there a function which lessens the strength of this over times of witnessing many deaths?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

I don't know how many of you have witnessed death beforehand, but I figured that seeing someone die from any violent act, including suicide, should be pretty horrifying. Since beings in DF aren't watching any television, a death of one of the few members of a small town like a fortress would be pretty fear inducing, since it reminds them of their own mortality and such etc. Isn't there a function which lessens the strength of this over times of witnessing many deaths?
There is, but since seeing a dead corpse doesn't count as tragedy, it doesn't kick in. Usually it only goes for soldiers as they are mostly the ones to get thoughts like "He felt vengeance when attacked", which do count as tragedy and have their effects reduced as they happen more.

If you don't get it, I'm talking about the "He is getting used to tragedy", "He is an hardened individual", and the "He doesn't care about anything anymore" traits on the bottom of the list.

Imunlaukr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:54 pm »

Dwarves surely don't watch TV, but in the real Middle Ages, with lots of incurable diseases, frequent wars, public executions etc. death was indeed very present, much more than in the 21st century. Back then people died in front of everyone, not in hospitals, and battles weren't fought in distant countries, but in their own homes. Of course I agree seeing someone die by the sword would be terrible in every age and place, but dorfs should be able to deal with it. *back to lurking*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:44:54 pm »

Not only horrified. I have two dwarves that received beatings (with wood crossbows) and only one of them needed suturing. All they do is shamble around the fortress, flashing the red cross symbol and occasionally canceling jobs because probably they curl up into a ball and cry themselves to sleep in a corner every time they remember such traumatic experience. Granted, the mayor is an idiot and one of you got some stitches, but c'mon, man up!

Both of them have seen other pretty mess up things like companions being smashed into pulp by falling rocks, yet they don't give two toughs about it. Also I checked their relationship with the captain of the guard and the mayor and all are pretty good friends among themselves, so is not like they hate them and cancel things out of shock whenever they see them.

Keep in mind this was game years ago now (like 5 years ago) and they still do that. It's pretty annoying because each time I see them I think somebody got bitten by a cave croc or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:03:40 pm »

Dwarves surely don't watch TV, but in the real Middle Ages, with lots of incurable diseases, frequent wars, public executions etc. death was indeed very present, much more than in the 21st century. Back then people died in front of everyone, not in hospitals, and battles weren't fought in distant countries, but in their own homes. Of course I agree seeing someone die by the sword would be terrible in every age and place, but dorfs should be able to deal with it. *back to lurking*

Dwarves should be very sad to see their comrades die horrible deaths - people were in the past as much as they are today, TV has nothing to do with it - but they really should have no problems with seeing goblins killed. Blood sports involving animals and people were common in the past, and most shell-shocked soldiers are far more traumatised by the death of comrades than by the death of enemies. Dwarves might receive a small unhappy thought from seeing goblins or animals die, but only seeing dwarves die should really horrify them. The violence of the death should also make a difference, as UXLZ said.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: [1] 2