Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The All Guardsmen Party  (Read 46123 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The All Guardsmen Party
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 12:43:57 pm »

Likewise.

Man, that next assignment is gonna be interesting to read about.
I think that to myself after each and every chapter.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:35 pm »

That was awesome. Never stop writing.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 12:26:46 pm »

Thanks for all the kind words folks, glad everyone is enjoying the stories.

Out of curiosity do all of you already have RPG or 40k experience? I've always wondered if people without one of those two backgrounds could understand/enjoy these.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 12:55:51 pm »

Not much of either.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »

Thanks for all the kind words folks, glad everyone is enjoying the stories.

Out of curiosity do all of you already have RPG or 40k experience? I've always wondered if people without one of those two backgrounds could understand/enjoy these.
I played D&D 3.5 for a while a few years back, but this reads more like a story than a session, TBH. That's a good thing, however.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »

I have some 40k experince, but your stories are actually very good for getting the universe across. Hell if you could throw this in a book I'll buy it in a heartbeat, this feels more like a actual novel then a written recount of a game session.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:58 pm »

Mm, you couldn't make it a novel, at least one available for sale. GW would pounce all over that.

I still can't figure how much of this stuff actually happens in-game and how much you add in later. Do you take notes while you're playing? Record the game sessions?

I have online RPG, 4E and 5E, as well as some 40K experience. However, I do think these things would be very enjoyable without that background knowledge, it just makes them oh so much more. Someone without it might not get the same feeling of 'ohshitohshitohshit' when Necrons or Chaos Space Marines are spotted, for instance.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:38:12 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 11:33:35 pm »

I have very little experience with either thing, and I still thoroughly enjoyed this. I knew (or could guess) enough 40k stuff to work out most of what wasn't directly explained, so I guess I'm not completely uninitiated, but I'd say it was pretty close.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »

Well I'm glad that I'm managing to keep things relatively accessible. Thanks for the input guys.

Mm, you couldn't make it a novel, at least one available for sale. GW would pounce all over that.

I still can't figure how much of this stuff actually happens in-game and how much you add in later. Do you take notes while you're playing? Record the game sessions?
Someday I'd like to consult a publisher about whether it's worth the effort to rework the story into a standalone IP, or possibly break through GW's fan-fiction-avoidance system and ask if they want the series for themselves.

Anyway, 95% of what I write happens in game, but I do embellish a lot. I get a lot more mileage out of a single roll or skill-use, but conversely I skip over a lot of dialogue. As for memory, for reasons beyond all reckoning I can remember pretty much every action taken by the group. Exact words can be hard, as well as exact damage numbers and such, but I have near total recall of the story itself. If I want dialogue, or fine details about what a character was thinking or how close a roll was or something, I do have to track the players down and see what they remember.

The All Guardsmen Party

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2015, 10:08:53 pm »

Heh, I first got into D&D in the first place because of some excellent campaign journals, and the same for Paradox's various grand strategy games, as well as DF and Aurora LPs. If a game can inspire a writer to produce a quality story, it's usually worth checking out.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 07:39:41 am »

Thanks for the great story, couldn't help laughing at work when Rupert's about. Particularily the dream, read that in Laurie's voice.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 08:49:01 am »

PTW.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »

Thanks for the great story, couldn't help laughing at work when Rupert's about. Particularily the dream, read that in Laurie's voice.

I'm assuming you mean Hugh Laurie, but I've only ever heard his British accent in the 101 dalmatians movie. It fits though. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the stories. Hoping for another chapter in 2-3 weeks depending how long it runs.

The All Guardsmen Party

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 02:13:19 pm »

Every time I see a post in this thread, I get all hyped up. And then it's a PTW or something.

I'm assuming you mean Hugh Laurie, but I've only ever heard his British accent in the 101 dalmatians movie. It fits though. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the stories. Hoping for another chapter in 2-3 weeks depending how long it runs.
Yessss.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2015, 11:12:46 pm »

I just realized the Burnt Skeleton and the Nearly headless corpse from Discount Spaceship is Crisp and Heavy. This actually makes me really sad cause now I realized EVERY guardsmen represents the way they die when they die.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13