Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: A simple question: why Urist "Mc"?  (Read 12530 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A simple question: why Urist "Mc"?
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:49 am »

I doubt dwarven sounds were made with real life matches in mind, so just go with something natural.

There isn't even any consistence on the pronuncation of urist.

Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:00 am »

They were, however, made with a pronunciation in mind, even if it does not match any real language. When Toady made the word "unāl", he must have known how it was pronounced, even if players cannot agree on this. Regional accents might explain some of it, but there should be a "standard dwarven" of some sort.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »

In Tolkien's languages including Khuzdul (Dwarvish), the acute and circumflex are both used to mark long vowels, and according to a side note somewhere in the appendices, the circumflex in particular is chosen to make Khuzdul look more alien to English speakers (Baruk Khazād! Khazād ai-mźnu!).  The notation is sort of made up by the narrator who speaks in Prof. Tolkien's own voice, the Dwarves themselves "historically" used a different alphabet of course.

DF Dwarvish certainly isn't Khuzdul, I have no particular idea what Toady was or wasn't intending, but it could easily just be that the circumflex "looks Dwarvish".

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:51 pm »

The circumflex could be a long vowel, change the sound, or do nothing at all and just indicate a past spelling; see its many uses in French.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_the_circumflex_in_French

Toady should really film himself saying dwarven words, especially urist, to determine what a standard dwarven accent is.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »

There should just be a regular video addendum in Future of the Fortress. :)

"Ok, today I am going to address more questions about Dwarven culture, specifically relating to textiles.  As you can see these are standard braies bristling with echidna leather spikes.  Now I will demonstrate how exactly these can be layered under a set of greaves and four skirts."

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »

That would be excellent.

Clothes layering needs to have some more restrictions regarding encumbrance and so on. Demonstrations would be an excellent way of deciding these restrictions.

For old times' sake.

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2015, 01:43:06 am »

It is a reasonable association, given their alcoholic and violent tendencies, but I have never imagined my dwarvesas such.

As a Scottish person I find this offensive! I'm hardly violent at all :P

Really though it's not a descriptor I would use - seems to be more of a U.S. thing to say "whatever McWhatever" as a generic naming trope on the internet.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2015, 02:10:53 am »

It is just a stereotype, but since dwarves originally came from Norse myths, the only explanation I could think of for their being Scottish rather than Scandinavian was the stereotypes associated with them.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2015, 08:18:44 pm »

It is just a stereotype, but since dwarves originally came from Norse myths, the only explanation I could think of for their being Scottish rather than Scandinavian was the stereotypes associated with them.
So, just were the old Scandinavian stereotypes about old ascots? :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2015, 05:18:13 am »

An ascot is a sort of necktie. I have no idea what you are talking about; dwarves do not wear neckties.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]