Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 Released  (Read 50330 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 Released
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 08:08:46 pm »

Have I misunderstood this, or does this finally mean an end to the job cancellations on things like seeds/brewing?

It should end, yeah.

*Tick. Tick. Tick. Ticking ends. Epic orchestra slowly begins, progressively turning into a massive tidal wave of voices and instruments* THANK YOU, OH ALMIGHTY TOAD!!! THAAAAAANK YOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »

This is an amazing, wondrous, stupendous, glorious, awe-inspiring update of epic proportions! In all seriousness, this update seems to address the vast majority of the issues I've been running into. Hurrah!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 08:31:19 pm »

I am super excited on the fact that this was a quick and fast content release with the planned bug fixing as what was stated would happen. Thank you and keep up the awesomeness ToadyOne and ThreeToes :-)

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »

Then we'll be on to taverns/inns!
Will that be a new major release or a continuation of .40?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:24 pm »

We're about halfway to 41 in the new version one point system I've got, so we'll cross that boundary somewhere in tavern dev, whether it's the first release or later on.  We haven't decided how we are going to organize the tavern stuff.  There's room for some release breaks, though.  There should be something to justify its existence before we release it, but we don't need both, say, random games and recipes in the same release, unless stuff is really screaming along.  Perhaps the taverns can function with just their basic jobs/goods, some visitors and the core activity rewrite for parties as a start.  We're also not sure about the final list of features we'll have when taverns are done.  Standing orders (for booze, at the very least) are looking attractive, and so on.  This can impact the release breaks.  There's also the matter of whether dwarf/adv parallels are best worked consecutively or concurrently.  It'll be a subject of discussion for us as we're cleaning up this release, with the main focus being avoiding falling in a two year hole.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:53 pm »

Does this mean we can embark on a road and get people passing through?
Do people actually travel on roads?

It occurs to me that road generation would need to be improved in Mountain areas.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »

Then we'll be on to taverns/inns!
Will that be a new major release or a continuation of .40?

Would you not say that this is both?

And 0.40.14 and 0.34.08 and 0.34.06 and 0.31.19 etc. for that matter. Major doesn't always mean new middle version point.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:27 pm »

Please not more version numbering standards shenanigans. I think you knew what I meant.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:21 pm »

Oh no... I've crashed a few times :'(. It may just be my faulty memory.
Use Large address aware on your DF exe file.
It completely removed almost all crashes for me and several other users.

EDIT: Can anyone explain what is going on here?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2 of my dwarves changed their name to existing names in the unit list and are frozen and thristy and hungry with the task "store item in bag". They are also frozen on the same tile if that matters.
They still have their real name when using "v" but that name does not exist anymore in the unit list strangely.

This is probably a bug with the new version right?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:37:10 pm by bluephoenix »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:39 pm »

It's not good...  perhaps some residual job info pushing extra unit names on the list.  Reports and saves on the bug tracker probably useful for it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 10:44:42 pm »

Is there a limit on the number of items a dwarf can multi-haul? I'm getting a mental image of a dwarf unsuccessfully attempting to hold a bunch of limes.

Might they better use empty containers for larger jobs, or even some kind of basket tool at some point?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »

On that note, do you have plans of attempting a 64bit build?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:51 pm »

I mentioned the wheelbarrow in one of the logs I think.  I didn't get to that, but it would remove the slowness from weight.  A carried empty container would just make them slower, though in some cases yeah it would be more realistic.  I'm not sure what the limit ends up being, since it chains between different considerations and at least one arbitrary bail on a loop.

On that note, do you have plans of attempting a 64bit build?

Yeah, I did the first attempt on that and it totally failed, since my express MSVC doesn't even support it.  If I want to continue using MSVC, I'll have to buy it now I think, or go through some weird process which doesn't work for half of the people.  It caused everything to be delayed.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:21 pm »

Yeah, I did more investigation, and got a bug. It was not corrupted memory, but something to do with containers. Uploaded a save and a bug.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 10:52:25 pm »

Hopefully that's also related to the scary unit list screenshot.  Looks like tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5