Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 Released  (Read 50287 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 Released
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:02:36 pm »

Created a bug report and uploaded a save.

EDIT: I swear I used a different category, anyway...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:04 pm »

Yeah, I did the first attempt on that and it totally failed, since my express MSVC doesn't even support it.  If I want to continue using MSVC, I'll have to buy it now I think, or go through some weird process which doesn't work for half of the people.  It caused everything to be delayed.

Express 2010 doesn't support it, no.

Express 2012 and above does support it, and then there's http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs which I am so happy about.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 12:06:15 am »

Yeah, I did the first attempt on that and it totally failed, since my express MSVC doesn't even support it.  If I want to continue using MSVC, I'll have to buy it now I think, or go through some weird process which doesn't work for half of the people.  It caused everything to be delayed.

Express 2010 doesn't support it, no.

Express 2012 and above does support it, and then there's http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs which I am so happy about.

I was just going to link to Visual Studio Community 2013 myself; it claims to have all the functionality of Visual Studio 2013 Pro, but is free to download and use for individuals and teams of up to 5 developers (plus academic, research, and open-source use).  If this doesn't do the job, I'm sure a collection could be arranged to get you the workflow tools you need to move to 64-bit; IMO it's a matter of when, not if. 

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:16 am »

Don't you have to get a new computer if you want to change your Visual Studio version?
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 12:30:21 am »

I was just going to link to Visual Studio Community 2013 myself; it claims to have all the functionality of Visual Studio 2013 Pro, but is free to download and use for individuals and teams of up to 5 developers (plus academic, research, and open-source use).  If this doesn't do the job, I'm sure a collection could be arranged to get you the workflow tools you need to move to 64-bit; IMO it's a matter of when, not if. 

Money's not the problem.  I just need something that works, I didn't have that last time I tried, and I didn't want to risk gumming up progress with new compiler mishaps.  I guess once I get this release cleaned up we'll be at the best lull I'm going to find for a while, although I still have no idea how it's going to work.

You didn't used to have to change your computer...  if that's true, we'll have to wait a bit longer.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:48 am »

I jest. It's just a major pain to upgrade/uninstall, at least when I tried to.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 12:44:25 am »

Oh my I look into the comments section for the first time in years and I read this .................... 64 bit is attampted WWWWOOOOWWWW :o

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 01:19:59 am »

(*) Hauling jobs that used to need a held container now allow the dwarf to carry many items without a container

ALL PRAISE BE TO TOADY ONE

HE HAS DELIVERED US FROM EVIL

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:42 am »

It seems I've just delivered you into the arms of crashing and despair.  At least for a bit.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 01:32:39 am »

Is anyone else noticing that dwarves seem to stop mining entirely after saving and reloading? I have an area a Z level below the room I mined out earlier designated, miners are idle, and no one's touching it.

Edit: seeing no other mention of it, here's a save.

Edit again: turns out this is just a side-effect of the already-known deramping bug. Since I set the priority of a deramp job to 1, miners would refuse to touch anything else before that was done - and, due to the bug, it would never get done.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:26:21 pm by Electrode »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 01:40:36 am »

It seems I've just delivered you into the arms of crashing and despair.  At least for a bit.

nah, not that bad, biggest oddities so far were reclaiming a site with the wrong civ and finding that the previous residents were still living there and in hiding, causing "an ambush! drive them out!" to show up every time one was found; it listed them as hostile, but my military didn't attack them and they didn't attack anyone, so I just ignored them. Other oddity was miners preferring to haul over mining for a bit, but that didn't last long.

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 02:43:32 am »

Heh, that happens. I'd really be surprised if major and complex changes such as these didn't cause a few issues! Thanks for your work, Toady.

Hielkeoh

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Moi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:33 am »

Haha yeah, it crashes pretty often now :P But hej, sacrifice before beauty.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 05:17:09 am »

Depending on the bugs that are out there, I'll be fixing them for a bit, maybe adding random small stuff.  Then we'll be on to taverns/inns!

I am just imagining that tavern mode creating procedurally generated tavern songs (this will prove to be entertaining) and having actually drunk dwarves in your fort as a mechanic. also bar fights bar fights bar fights hnggg

Also Dwarf Fortress: Tavern Simulator 2015.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 05:23:08 am »

I wanna make me a hotel!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5