Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I deny ceiling access from paedophilic goblins?  (Read 3171 times)

How can I deny ceiling access from paedophilic goblins?
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:19:30 pm »

Greetings fellow players, I started a new fortress a couple weeks ago and at the begging of it's third year, i have yet to receive a non dwarven caravan or be visited by a snatcher and the civ menu only displays a dwarven and a kobold civ, so i'm no too worried about sieges but as my name suggests, I'm not an especially good player so i'd rather be cautious. also my army is tragically under developed due to the scarcity of minerals in the map and the drafting of most dwarves into farming. Welcome to soviet Eldershatchet! Anyways,here's the problem: the lands are unfarmable so i had to dig around ponds to water the ground. To adequately feed the fortress, i had to use maximum sized farms placed all around the ponds and draft about a third of the adult population into farming, Only this left exposed areas in the hillside that i blocked with walls, but that still have exposed roofs. Can someone please help me with this? (along with how to give marxdwarves (see what i did there) quivers (cant see to find any options in the military menu or info on the wiki)).
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: How can I deny ceiling access from paedophilic goblins?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »

You could uild a [C]onstructed [f]loor over the exposed roofs.

Or you could make a child nursery nice and deep, and lock the kids in with food, clothes, puppies and statues and a well.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:40:56 pm »

Thanks a lot!
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:44:07 am »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:54:03 am »

Or you could use dwarven farming, i.e. underground farms. If you don't have soil underground you'd have to muddy floors to do it, which is a slow, tedious, and non intuitive process, but it is safer.
Having most of the population farming seems strange, as you normally don't need many farmers, nor huge farms?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:06 am »

Move down to the caverns. They have their own dangers, but you'll find water and irrigation-able soil aplenty down there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:46 am »

The pure essence of dwarf fortress!

Headless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 10:20:48 am »

Or you could make a child nursery nice and deep, and lock the kids in with food, clothes, puppies and statues and a well.

Lol!

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »

Max size farms also tend to be inefficient; I usually like to use 5x5 plots.
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:59 pm »

Why are max sized farms inefficient?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

Move down to the caverns. They have their own dangers, but you'll find water and irrigation-able soil aplenty down there.
Im going to add a baby-snatcher civ down there now.  Ill be looking at good candidates.

Magma-men :P
Ant-men
o,o Giant creepy crawlers
elk-birds sound random enough
 . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 02:27:13 pm »

You scared me I thought you said elf birds. That would be a most malevolent creature!

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:07:29 am »

They probably won't do anything on your fort other than being beer-sinks. Let them die!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 01:38:42 am »

AFAIK you could also just put a 1-tile ceiling overhang on the outside edge of all of your border walls and that should stop them from climbing over as well (though I haven't played for a few of the more recent versions, so it might have changed while I wasn't looking).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 07:03:34 pm »

Why are max sized farms inefficient?
Dwarves often won't fill the farms, typically because they hit a tile that can't be farmed (on a non-muddy stone tile or something)

Are you in a mountain biome? Those are the only ones I'm aware of that don't have soil avaliable... Also if it's just a few ponds you broke through, you should be able to just wall off the passage and leave them to fill from the rain.

As for defending the fortress from ambushers (including but not limited to actual ambushes, snatchers, thieves, and werebeasts), a war dog pastured or chained by the entrance should spot any sneaky stabby guys trying to steal away your beardlings/treasure. Just make sure you have an actual way to deal with them, war dogs aren't very strong and the only ones that flee when spotted are kobold thieves...
Pages: [1] 2