Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting dwarves to adopt vermin pets  (Read 1259 times)

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting dwarves to adopt vermin pets
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:53:36 pm »

How do I go about getting my dwarves to adopt verim pets? I've captured a few vermin (hamsters, large roaches, creepy crawlers), tamed them and set them to "Available" in the "Animals" screen, but they never get picked up by anyone. Is it because none of my dwarves like these vermin (I've got almost 200 dwarves, haven't checked them all)? I also got some tame vermin in cages from the elves, those don't even show up in the menu.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Getting dwarves to adopt vermin pets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »

Remember that the animal can't be on a cage to be adopted, and the dwarf must be on an adjacent tile to adopt it. If no dwarf has a preference for that animal it may take a good time to someone adopt it. Dwarves with preference for a animal will instantly claim said animal when standing next to it.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 03:11:58 pm »

Well, the animals aren't in cages, they are in animal traps. Do they need to be released from those? Because doing so apparently just makes them disappear.
If they can stay in animal traps, should I maybe set up a sort of "pet store" stockpile along a major hallway?
And what about the imported pets, they come in cages and if released I believe are re-captured in animal traps. Are they still available for adoption despite not being shown in the menu?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

They do not show? Well, I never bought vermin from the caravan, so that may be a bug...
Keeping then in animal traps is necessary for adoption, so don't put them on terrariums or other cages.
Yes, making the "pet store" thing would be ideal, but remember that dwarves may find one vermin or other disgusting and will get a bad thought from seeing them, so proceed with caution.
In a time before time, I had a name.