Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military active/inactive  (Read 667 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Military active/inactive
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:13 am »

My fort has a small population so I recruited them all too see if they could still do their jobs normally.
At first things went smoothly, at least half of them would do civ jobs.

I changed the alerts settings and actived them all. They then sparred and trained all the time (intended) and soon they all became at least novice soldiers.

Then I deactived all the squads, hoping they will do their civ jobs again... but they didn't. Well, in fact they seldom did anything other than combat drills, eat and drink. Occasionally, one of them left the barracks and went to pasture a dog, or burn a charcoal.

So, do I need to disband the squads? Is there a dfhack script or something to save the squad settings?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military active/inactive
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:09:18 am »

My fort has a small population so I recruited them all too see if they could still do their jobs normally.
At first things went smoothly, at least half of them would do civ jobs.

I changed the alerts settings and actived them all. They then sparred and trained all the time (intended) and soon they all became at least novice soldiers.

Then I deactived all the squads, hoping they will do their civ jobs again... but they didn't. Well, in fact they seldom did anything other than combat drills, eat and drink. Occasionally, one of them left the barracks and went to pasture a dog, or burn a charcoal.

So, do I need to disband the squads? Is there a dfhack script or something to save the squad settings?

No. Try freeing the barracks they trained in, although this stops passive training (individual drills) completely. Individual training has a higher priority nowadays than it used to have, passive training (w/ deactivated squads) only really works for marksdwarves + archery ranges in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:12:29 am by taptap »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:58:23 am »

Oops, I completely forgot about this topic.
Thank you, that worked. :D
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

Yeah, military dwarves with a barracks to train in now take training seriously. You can keep the barracks there, but if it's designated for the squad to train there they will spend most of their time there.

I tend to enable training only when I have idlers.