Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap the amount of vermin fish that can get caught per year per embark  (Read 1161 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My dwarves can extract seemingly endless amounts of mussels from the nearby river.
My fishcleaners are working 24/7 against a massive backlog of raw mussels, the chefs are churning out lavish meals made entirely of mussels solely to prevent clouds of miasma forming, and i could buy everything in every caravan with my piles upon piles of masterwork mussel shell (ear)rings.

I find it weird that the population of mussels in my river never reaches zero.

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cap the amount of vermin fish that can get caught per year per embark
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:54 pm »

My dwarves can extract seemingly endless amounts of mussels from the nearby river.
My fishcleaners are working 24/7 against a massive backlog of raw mussels, the chefs are churning out lavish meals made entirely of mussels solely to prevent clouds of miasma forming, and i could buy everything in every caravan with my piles upon piles of masterwork mussel shell (ear)rings.

Disable their fishing labor? Or are there other fish you prefer to catch instead?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:13:23 pm »

That's because the 'vermin fish population goes extinct' issue was fixed.

And yeah, like Catten said, you can just disable the fishing labor.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:06:19 am »

Disable it from most if not all of them AND/OR in the orders menu set that they only fish from the zones designated by you and then erase or make the fishing zone(s) inactive.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »

That doesn't sound like something needing a fix though. If you keep fishing heavily in the same river, you'd expect fish populations are going to dwindle and they'd need time to replenish themselves. Even more so for non-mobile vermin "fish" like mussels and oysters.
Sounds like a pretty reasonable mechanic.

Disable it from most if not all of them AND/OR in the orders menu set that they only fish from the zones designated by you and then erase or make the fishing zone(s) inactive.
Disable their fishing labor? Or are there other fish you prefer to catch instead?
That's a quick fix, yeah. But i don't want to exclude the entire fishing industry because rivers contain infinite mussels.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:59:04 pm »

That doesn't sound like something needing a fix though. If you keep fishing heavily in the same river, you'd expect fish populations are going to dwindle and they'd need time to replenish themselves. Even more so for non-mobile vermin "fish" like mussels and oysters.
Sounds like a pretty reasonable mechanic.
Thing is that ALL vermin eventually went extinct locally, that included useful vermin like bees and spiders if I recall correctly.
That's a quick fix, yeah. But i don't want to exclude the entire fishing industry because rivers contain infinite mussels.
You don't have to, simply lower the amount of fishers and/or fishing spots (don't know if they all can pile up to fish in a single square, probably they can so it's safer to reduce the amount of fishers) and you'll find yourself with appropriated amounts of fish. In my current fort I have a single legendary fisher on a brook that can easily fish out enough to feed 150 dwarves (by complementing farming, livestock and hunting of course).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »

Yeah, that is probably because river is open to the outside?
I'm pretty sure fish in above ground pools can go extinct.

I have disabled fishing labor because I have too many bones, I don't need mussel shells anymore.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!