Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are Chasms Returning?  (Read 1032 times)

demise_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are Chasms Returning?
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:21:16 am »

I would love to see vast bottemless pits and chasms return into the game. Will they ever be returning?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Are Chasms Returning?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:35:40 am »

Check out the top right of the object testing arena.

demise_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:03 am »

I know they are in area, but are they returning to world generation

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:01:18 am »

They do show up in a place, but it's kinda awkward due to the fact that there's stuff to fall into and creatures that fall report everything they see as they go (which is just more awkwardness, of course)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:03:00 pm »

They do show up in a place, but it's kinda awkward due to the fact that there's stuff to fall into and creatures that fall report everything they see as they go (which is just more awkwardness, of course)

I agree that this is probably the reasoning behind them not existing at present (aside from one place, as you mentioned). They do otherwise exist, though: I've embarked many times on sites that have large holes connecting different cavern levels that my dwarves can look down. They aren't bottomless, but they are underground chasms. Might be nice if they connected to the surface more often.

More underground features separate from cavern layers would make for a more varied underground, but that's a separate suggestion. As far as I can tell this particular suggestion already exists in the game -- they just aren't bottomless and they aren't labelled as caverns. They don't need to be either, because now we have multiple z-levels and we can see that they're caverns, not just take the game's word for it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:15:58 pm by Taffer »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:54:18 am »

Also, bottomless pits/chasms were in the game when it was just stone all the way to the bottom of the map. Now that we have the magma sea (among other things), it's more difficult to put in something "bottomless".
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:02:54 pm »

Deep chasms are fine, but they should fall into magma, since the DF world has a magma mantle like ours. A chasm sticking through the whole planet and out of the other side is just daft. A quick death by magma would also stop creatures and objects from falling forever and lagging the game.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.