Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork-DF - V.6.2 font question/problem.  (Read 4229 times)

gasznak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork-DF - V.6.2 font question/problem.
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:39 pm »

Hello,

I'm not a DF veteran and I can't figure out how to solve this problem so I decided to ask some more experienced DF enthusiasts.

Until now I've been only playing Vanilla DF. I was using LNP.
After a couple of games (learning, reaching late game, having FPS problems, learning DFhack etc.) I decided to try the biggest DF mod - Masterwork.

I downloaded the mod, read the manual and started calibrating settings.
Among other settings I've chosen Spacefox tileset and enabled the TWBT plugin (by enabling Item Graphics option and choosing Ascii Font Tileset).

And then I encountered the problem - no matter what combination of fonts and tilesets I choose the letters are blurry and very big (compared to my Vanilla/LNP experience).
I did some research and checked the ini files and I think the problem lies in not being able to choose "PRINT_MODE:TWBT" in Masterwork DF.

Here are some screens from different menus in both Masterwork DF and LNP Vanilla that illustrate the problem:

Main menu lnp vs masterwork:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hotkeys menu lnp vs masterwork:

Stocks show menu lnp vs masterwork:

I've tried copying settings from ini.txt file and copying font graphic files but with no success.
The font looked the same when I've changed it to "curses_square_16x16" from LNP (it's the same as Masterwork Ascii).
It looked a bit different when I used "curses_640x300" (wich I used in all my LNP games) or "curses_800x600" (both from LNP) but it was still big and blurry - like it used some very small resolution.

It's very hard for me to read that big, blurry font so I'd appreciate any help.
I really hope I'm dumb and there is some easy fix. :)

Best Regards,
Matt
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:22:04 pm by gasznak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Masterwork-DF - V.6.2 font question/problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:23:48 pm »

Its very simple: Masterwork uses DF 34.11, with an old Twbt version. PRINT_MODE:TWBT does not exist for it.

LNP, using original DF raws, unmodded, uses DF 40.20, with the newest Twbt version, including the option for a PRINT_MODE:TWBT.

I dont know since when you play, but the small letters you see in the LNP by using Twbt are a very recent addition.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

gasznak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:38:10 pm »

Yeah, I've started playing very recently, so those LNP settings/graphics were all I knew.
I guess I'll have to get used to that bigger font cause I'm very excited about discovering the content of this awesome mod.

Thanks for answering so fast! :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:41:17 pm by gasznak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »

No worries. :)

You will notice that large trees, fruits and climbing is missing, and the preferences, goals and thoughts of civ-members are missing. These are the feature that the mod is lacking because of the outdated version it uses atm.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:25:38 pm »

Hi, sorry for necroing this post, but this is exactly my problem right now. Just like the friend over here, i'm new to DF, i played the LNP/vanilla a lot in the last weeks and now i would like to play THE mod. I'm totally a newbie in technical questions though and i think i'm screwing somethin in the launcher options. Is there a way now to play Masterwork with the high res small letters like LNP? I managed to make it look better, changing the "2D/Standard/Stuff" options, but still a lot of letters are strange characters and sometimes all the text. I feel that even the tileset looks worst than the one in the LNP and this kinda throws me off. If please some gentle soul could help me i swear the next gold statue i forge will be in his name.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 08:55:25 pm »

You want the "Print mode" to be "Text-Will-Be-Text" (it's the default so you can always delete your folder and extract the archive again if you are not sure what you might have messed up) if you want the text-only places (like descriptions, menus and so on) to not have symbols and just be text.

At the bottom of the same column you will see "TWBT Font" where you can pick what font "text will be text" will use (some of them do have weird symbols, you can see it in the small preview on the side when mousing over a font's name in the list).
Avoid Gothic or Wiggly if you want to be able to read easily.

For the tileset, there are quite a few of the common ones included, the default was put together by Meph but the default of the LNP is phoebus 16x16 (and it is in the list of tilesets in masterwork, just go down a bit from meph's tileset).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 11:40:25 pm »

First of all, thanks for answering. Just did what you told me and the problem with the characters are gone but, theres something wrong. Resolution maybe, idk. Both are using Meph's. Take a look about what im saying.

LNP Menu:

LNP Ingame:

Masterwork Menu:

Masterwork Ingame:

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 09:38:35 pm »

Whatever text tileset you are using is not 16x like the lnp one you're using. I don't have masterwork installed but the meph launcher I have for his tileset should be similar enough.

So you should have in the launcher:

Graphics

Tileset: Meph 32
Font: Taffer 9x9 (looks the best that I can see in his launcher)(16x16 text is a bit big, maybe there's a 8x8 font?)
Color:defaultPlus(or whatever)
Print Mode: Text-Will-Be-Text
TTF:Default(or you could do Masterwork)

All else fails just move the font you are using in the Lnp over to TilesetExtras\Settings\TwbtFonts, you may want to backup the phoebus or what ever font is there already incase it messes up, since there's a decent chance the fonts are a little different.

But the style and the size of the font(tileset(font) ) are completely different. That's why I say that.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 06:20:16 am »

On top of the 16x16 tileset mentioned above, you could go for AutoReiv in TWBT Font, it is a fairly small font so it.

Sadly I went for phoebus and only saw that you chose Meph's for both but here is what you get with a 16x16 tileset and the AutoReiv font:
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:38:55 am »

Thanks for the answers, guys. Did what you told me and the font problem is gone (specially because of the smaller AutoReiv one).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:45:21 am by Yg0r »