Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115062 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.42.xx) - Revision 4c
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:13 am »

It will be incorporated it in the 42.06 version update, assuming there is anything to update there.

As for other progress, I have been messing around with some experimental stuff like giving goblins armor with no armor class to try and get them to wear it as clothes, making a cave-dwelling entity for my old armor man creature, running DF on a mac through ncurses over ssh just for the heck of it (ncurses works and fun was had with messing with the iTerm2 font and ASCII colors, but I can't recommend mac for DF as a lot of the key bindings don't work).

I have also still been poking around with the idea of removing weapon-specific skills.

There is actually less issues with that than I thought there would be as entities with no weapon of a certain class do not use the class at all. Wood cutting is annoying though, I had to make a work-around-y 'felling axe' training weapon.

Still not entirely sure what to name 'one-handed weapon user' and 'two-handed weapon user'. Right now I got 'dwarf-at-arms' and 'heavy dwarf-at-arms' for those skills respectively, or 'armsdwarf' and 'heavy armsdwarf'. Both sound a bit contrived in my ears... suggestions would be quite welcome. 'Stavesdwarf' can stay if I keep polearms separate from the shorter two-handed weapons.

I'm also playing with the idea of reviving my old, half-finished 'Historic metallurgy overhaul' mod since there is some more control over reactions and stock buildings/reactions.

Sooo... Lots of stuff with not that much to show for it as of now, but I'm still here at least :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2016, 11:50:27 am »

I'd suggest leaving the other weapons professions as they are.

For example, in my mod I've done something similar for polearms/two-handed weapons users by using a hex editor to rename pikeman to footman (footdwarf, footelf, etc).

This seemed like a success until I noticed that a character who wields say a pollaxe will mention their pride in improving pike -_-

The misfortune is you can't rename a skill. Well, one of the misfortunes of modding.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2016, 06:11:14 am »

It will be incorporated it in the 42.06 version update, assuming there is anything to update there.

As for other progress, I have been messing around with some experimental stuff like giving goblins armor with no armor class to try and get them to wear it as clothes, making a cave-dwelling entity for my old armor man creature, running DF on a mac through ncurses over ssh just for the heck of it (ncurses works and fun was had with messing with the iTerm2 font and ASCII colors, but I can't recommend mac for DF as a lot of the key bindings don't work).

I have also still been poking around with the idea of removing weapon-specific skills.

There is actually less issues with that than I thought there would be as entities with no weapon of a certain class do not use the class at all. Wood cutting is annoying though, I had to make a work-around-y 'felling axe' training weapon.

Still not entirely sure what to name 'one-handed weapon user' and 'two-handed weapon user'. Right now I got 'dwarf-at-arms' and 'heavy dwarf-at-arms' for those skills respectively, or 'armsdwarf' and 'heavy armsdwarf'. Both sound a bit contrived in my ears... suggestions would be quite welcome. 'Stavesdwarf' can stay if I keep polearms separate from the shorter two-handed weapons.

I'm also playing with the idea of reviving my old, half-finished 'Historic metallurgy overhaul' mod since there is some more control over reactions and stock buildings/reactions.

Sooo... Lots of stuff with not that much to show for it as of now, but I'm still here at least :P

Historic metallurgy overhaul should be part of this mod.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »

Is the current release 42.06 compatible?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2016, 02:46:50 pm »

Yes, I have been playing for a while with the version that came out during .04

Hmm think it would a good idea to clarify this in the title?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »

Yes.

For old times' sake.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2016, 08:24:33 pm »

I'm more interested in the arms and armor than the metallurgy and skill modifications, personally. It would better integrate with other mods, and be easier to update. I like your mod either way, though. Thank you!

Changed my mind, after some thought. I'd quite enjoy a realistic metallurgy overhaul.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:24:06 pm by Taffer »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2016, 12:01:58 am »

I've put the skill modifications on ice for now, the metallurgy parts will be fairly easy to keep as a separate module.

One things to keep in mind though, is that this mod already modifies the stock metals, and relies on any other weapon/armor materials (including cloth) to be modified in the same way (a substantially increased impact elasticity and yield point for all of them and substantially reduced shear strengths on cloth), so keep in mind that with mods that introduce new materials/modify existing ones, some manual fitting needs to be done.

Next up will be some rearranging of armor layering to work out a few bugs/oddities and some extra armor items. (an ocular kettle helm, because they look way too cool to omit, and possibly cuir bouilli arm/leg/head armor. As soon as figure out whether the scant evidence for their existence is compelling enough. It should be noted that knowledge on cuit bouilli is pretty spotty in general, as it has a nasty habit of completely decomposing and was used in an era where surcoats were still in use, making it quite hard to see what they are wearing underneath).

I also noticed a particularly vicious looking polearm that I want to include in a number of medieval paintings, supposedly from different times and artists. It look like the bastard child of a longsword, spear and a cleaver. Just got to find out what it could be called and be sure it was not just some artists getting creative.

Oh and, your welcome, glad you like it ^^

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »

I'm more interested in the arms and armor than the metallurgy and skill modifications, personally. It would better integrate with other mods, and be easier to update. I like your mod either way, though. Thank you!

This mod would already have incompatibility issues anyway due to modding the metals in the game. I support the addition of historical metallurgy.

For old times' sake.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »

Show us on the doll which one... touched you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2016, 08:31:04 am »

Show us on the doll which one... touched you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hahah nice one  :P

But in the internet spirit of answering a joke sincerely (and since they are so nicely chronologically lined up), id say its around 4 and 5.

Small I'm-not-dead update: Bloomeries give good use for all that wood we get since .42, I cannot seem to make bog iron actually appear in bogs only (sad face) and shoe layering does not want to work with me, at all. This might explain various issues I and other have with dwarf mode soldiers only wearing a single boot.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2016, 08:53:10 pm »

Oh baby, I was trying to see why my head wanted to say berdiche but it didn't quite feel right and found this:

Sexily informative!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2016, 05:56:21 am »

Hehe and that isn't even all of them. No English bills, forks, various spears, pikes, pollaxes, etc. The omission of poleaxes makes sense though since its 'development of commoner forms'. Poleaxes are no commoner's weapon.

One thing to keep in mind for this is that names for polearms (and the vast majority of other old weapons, armor and whatnot) are not really an exact science. Names got used for different things in different times and places, lots of names got made up and used wrong well after the fact often by inexpert people (like Victorian historians and role playing game writers), and lots of things have no specific name as far as we know and just got named 'sword' or 'axe'.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:03 am »

Hehe and that isn't even all of them. No English bills, forks, various spears, pikes, pollaxes, etc. The omission of poleaxes makes sense though since its 'development of commoner forms'. Poleaxes are no commoner's weapon.

One thing to keep in mind for this is that names for polearms (and the vast majority of other old weapons, armor and whatnot) are not really an exact science. Names got used for different things in different times and places, lots of names got made up and used wrong well after the fact often by inexpert people (like Victorian historians and role playing game writers), and lots of things have no specific name as far as we know and just got named 'sword' or 'axe'.

Lindybeige has good mini-rants about this subject here and here. Seems to agree with you: there's little point in getting particular about poleaxe naming: if you are, you'll end up with loads of unnamed poleaxes because you've "been too precious with your definitions". (He has a few snarky comments about insisting that chainmail be called mail, or worse, maille).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:32:23 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2016, 02:03:12 pm »

Now for a more helpful post: Grimlocke's body_default.txt, with the renamed body parts from the Modest Mod added in. The joints weren't merged. The result is nicely readable combat logs, in my opinion. No more "left lower arm" and "left upper leg" nonsense, for example, when "left forearm" and "left thigh" will suffice.

Hopefully you find this helpful. Please keep up the great work. I edited my earlier comment in regards to metallurgy: I am interested in this after all, if you have the time.

Some suggestions for cuir bouilli armour: change [ARMORLEVEL:2] to [ARMORLEVEL:1], then remove [HARD] to remove all metal cuir bouilli armour. This makes more sense to me: if it has metal covering it, surely it would warrant a different name? It's also missing [MATERIAL_PLACEHOLDER:leather]. (I also have "fur cuir bouilli armour" because I merged in Kazoo's furrier mod along with the modest mod, which amuses me)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:53:38 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26