Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115112 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.42.xx) - Revision 4c
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »

Metal in it would be a brigandine or one of the jack types wouldn't it?

I think commoner in there just meant most common, not commoner as in farmers/villagers/whatnot. I like that it just kinda has the general "stuff like this would usually be associated with this type" of layout and the evolutionary tree.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:26:38 pm by Max™ »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2016, 09:48:55 pm »

Metal in it would be a brigandine or one of the jack types wouldn't it?

I was thinking simpler: It's odd seeing "iron cuir bouilli" right alongside "mule leather cuir bouilli" in the lists. It implies that the leather armour is made entirely of iron, or at least that there's so much iron that whatever leather is underneath is considered unimportant. Both interpretations are silly in my opinion.

I also renamed it "boiled armor", which I much prefer to "cuir bouilli". I'm personally not a fan of arbitrarily using foreign names when there's a servicable translation, and "mule leather cuir bouilli armour" just means "mule leather boiled leather armour", which is redundant.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:57:58 pm by Taffer »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2016, 04:14:25 am »

Included the new body_default file as a compatibility patch, thanks!

For the cuir bouilli armor: I somehow didnt even notice the silly metal versions. That was not supposed to happen... Boiled leather is not at all suited to thinks like brigandines and coats of plates either as its a fairly hard and brittle material. Its odd that it happened too as it does not actually have a [METAL] tag in there.

I at some point considered calling 'cuir boilli' 'boiled leather' instead, but it made it sound a bit like the armor was the thing that got boiled, rather than the leather.

Getting rid of the creature-specific names entirely would probably be best but I haven't found any way to get entities to use a specific material for a specific item. I could also make 'boiled' an adjective, meaning it would become 'boiled donkey leather armor'... As long as you look past that sounding a bit like 'armor made from boiled donkeys', it sounds kind of alright.

As an aside, arbitrarily using foreign words to describe a specific thing is fairly common practice. Take 'hatchet, mallet or katana' for instance. Translated back to their original language they just mean 'axe, hammer, sword'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2016, 11:38:18 pm »

Is there any clean way to make the new skills applicable to all creatures by default? While a minor issue, I definitely notice the old lasher skill in the Object Testing Arena, and with multi-racial forts now that would imply that at the very least, all animal men should probably get the revised skills.

If necessary, this could be done in the animal man variation in c_variation, but if there's a cleaner approach that would be preferable.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2016, 01:33:02 am »

Hm, instead of naming by weapon usage, you might try naming by typical weapon user.

Example: a one-handed weapon user would also most likely be using a shield (why else wouldn't they be using a bigger weapon, since DF really doesn't reward dual-weapon users).  Hence, Legionnaire/Bulwark/Shield-Bearer would be completely appropriate.

Users of a larger two-handed weapon could be called Berserker/Zweihander.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2016, 07:22:45 am »

@Taffer: A couple posts up someone mentioned renaming the skills themselves with a memory editor, but beside that and doing the same with DFhack there isn't any way I am aware of.

Including the animal men with skill renames would be a good idea though.

@EuchreJack: Those names would work for fantasy mods, but using these for a historical mod would seem rather out of place. Sadly most historical terms I know of (footman, man-at-arms, mounted knight, sergeant, disposable peasant levy) mostly denote class and whether or not they are mounted, which is a problem since DF societies simply don't have any class structure to them and mounted combat is nearly non-existent.

Terms like 'footman' and 'man-at-arms' are a bit more suited, though neither denote what kind of weapons are used. I am vaguely considering giving both two-handed and one-handed skills the same name, using footman for lower skills and man-at-arms for 'master' skills. I could still prefix the two-handed skill with 'heavy' or something.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2016, 07:46:59 pm »

Would it be possible for me to utilize this mod within the a More Mundane World mod I am working upon?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2016, 08:50:26 am »

Sure you may! If you need any help with adding new items and such, feel free to ask. Metals and weapons do need some modifications compared to the vanilla ones, else balance can get severely wonky.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.42.06) - Revision 5a
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:58 pm »

Huzzah, revision 5 released!

Ended up changing way more than I though I would, especially in the armor department, but I feel the game is now a good bit closer to actual history.

Full changelog is up in the OP as usual.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2016, 09:11:05 pm »

Collarbones make a lot of sense.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2016, 10:13:53 pm »

Which is very convenient because I was first trying to hack in an invisible dummy bodypart that seperate the arms one step from the upper body. Didn't work at all since it kept showing up in combat logs, and then I figured the body part I was looking for actually exists in reality.

Also released a fix for some stupid SHAPED tags being in places they shouldn't be. I swear the moment you hit the 'post' button for anything you suddenly become twice as likely to notice botched things in said post.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2016, 10:35:13 pm »

Looking forward to playing with this mod when I finish writing creature descriptions.

I swear the moment you hit the 'post' button for anything you suddenly become twice as likely to notice botched things in said post.

Almost every time. Every other release or so, including the first time I made my topic and put somebody else's tileset in the description.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2016, 11:02:10 pm »

Also released a fix for some stupid SHAPED tags being in places they shouldn't be. I swear the moment you hit the 'post' button for anything you suddenly become twice as likely to notice botched things in said post.

Which helmets were they in, by the way?  I had picked up 5a for the Mundane World mod beforehand and if it is that small, I can make the adjustment myself.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2016, 12:19:10 am »

The bevor (non-mail one) and mailed bascinet. They can have other helmets worn over them, which the shaped tag prevents.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »

So where do I find out how this metallurgy mod for this works?

Also your changes to material_template_default.txt break modest mod for skin so its not possiable to tan hides.

Added modest mod's change to the file, took a while. Just hope theres no other issues yet to come across.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:08:39 am by KillzEmAllGod »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26