Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115858 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.05) - Revision 6c (+patch)
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2018, 08:36:59 pm »

I'm updating my mod Of MultiBeasts and Renassance: Playable Beastfolk with Late Medieval Equipment.  Thanks again for the great late medieval equipment.

EDIT: I also added a Handcannon, if you're interested.  It was a primitive firearm used in this era.

Srip121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2018, 02:29:05 am »

It would be worth many days and nights of prayer if someone could update this, including the metals and buildings :)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2018, 11:45:42 am »

I've been working on something, the mod is updated to the most recent version and has had various fixes and additions among which ingame item descriptions and raw comments added to modified vanilla files for clarity's sake. I did get into somewhat of a tangent with dfhack scripting at ranged combat.

The handheld weapon part is pretty much done; I've included gunpowder weapons(handgonne and arquebus, coincidentally), a heavy crossbow and war darts and extended the scripts ability to mod ranged weapon accuracy, hitrate, velocity, damage falloff, weapon/ammo quality actually mattering and a bunch more stuff to the existing weapons. Ranged combat is actually kind of interesting now! I'm still looking into how to get thrown weapons to play nice with worldgen-spawned characters (it doesn't seem to want to spawn ranged weapons that use the throwing skill at all, I think I'll assign spear skill them) but aside from that it's pretty much done.

The last thing I'm hung up on is adapting the fixed artillery as seen in zaporozhets' musket mod. I've been trying to streamline the process of loading and firing a bit, make it not rely on a target being present exactly as the gunner completes the 'fire' reaction AND the gunner not being spooked by the enemy being too close. I... mostly succeeded but the way I have it now is a little prone to borking when players do crazy things like ordering a bunch of 'fire' commands and then cancelling them again. Once I have that sorted and everything tidied up, I'll get a release out, possible along with a final non-DFhack release for anyone reluctant to adopt DFhack.

Oh and I'll probably have bombards built with a building item that is just a ranged weapon way, way too large for dwarves to use. But you know, if EuchreJack has any elephant men wandering around they could in theory pick them up and be an utter OP nightmare to everything else :P

After all that, I can get to finally implementing more extensive weapon/armor production and metallurgy (which I presume was what Srip121 was referring to), which will also be requiring DFhack to be remotely feasible. Timeframe on this is 'pretty long' though, since there are no scripts anyone has made that I have found that do all the thing I'd like them to. My current plodding about with the fixed artillery relates to this so if anyone thinks I'm wasting time on that then fret not, it will come of use elsewhere!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Srip121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 08, 2018, 02:52:24 pm »

And just like that an Angel has answered my plea

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 08, 2018, 07:35:58 pm »

Well, I do have Elephant men as a civilization in my mod.  ;)
While I don't want anyone to think my mod is less than vital, the recent versions for Dwarf Fortress have Intelligent Sentient Animals in adventure mode, so the player should be able to use Bombards even without my mod.   But yeah, anyone that wants the military in Fortress mode to even pick up the weapons without relying on unpredictable mercenary recruitment will need my mod.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:37 pm »

Is "munitions" steel the best to use?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2018, 04:33:52 am »

Nope, its not a material at all. Historically speaking, munitions grade armor is basically a polite way of saying 'this armor was hammered out as fast as possible at bare minimal quality'.

Ingame, I just used it to put armor on goblins that would normally show up wearing only clothes (they think its clothes, don't tell them!). I added it since highly-skilled goblins no longer seem to show up at all which makes them kind of weak compared to well-equipped and trained militia, and armor being commonplace (if not always of good quality) makes sense for our time setting.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2018, 01:03:02 pm »

Nope, its not a material at all. Historically speaking, munitions grade armor is basically a polite way of saying 'this armor was hammered out as fast as possible at bare minimal quality'.

Ingame, I just used it to put armor on goblins that would normally show up wearing only clothes (they think its clothes, don't tell them!). I added it since highly-skilled goblins no longer seem to show up at all which makes them kind of weak compared to well-equipped and trained militia, and armor being commonplace (if not always of good quality) makes sense for our time setting.

Howdy! Thanks for your work! Well, alright, I was looking through search engines for some explanation of what "munitions" could mean in medieval steel-work, and what I was getting is that it refers ro war-ready materials.

Now, I've been trying out several adventurer games and I've noticed that the starting weapon won't mention a material, like steel and iron, but only mention munitions or pattern, and what specific type of design. Like, pattern-welded crescent-axe, but shouldn't it mention steel or some other material?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:33:01 pm by Bob69Joe »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2018, 03:22:51 pm »

Pattern-welded is a type of steel.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 25, 2018, 05:31:07 pm »

Howdy Grimlocke! Thanks for all the cool weapons and armor. Do you think you'll ever add in belts that work like backbacks so I have somewhere to keep all these cool knives and daggers?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7a: Guns & Fashion!
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2018, 07:44:20 am »

Update out! Loads of new stuff, dfhack scripts, guns, clothes, give it a look over at the OP.

@Bob69Joe Cool idea actually, were it not that I just added belts as a kind of 'pants', which serve to not make dwarves super cranky from their pants being destroyed through their armor... somehow. I'm giving that idea a go though; It shouldn't be too hard to add a belt that works similar to the already existing pouch.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2018, 09:08:44 pm »

Update out! Loads of new stuff, dfhack scripts, guns, clothes, give it a look over at the OP.

@Bob69Joe Cool idea actually, were it not that I just added belts as a kind of 'pants', which serve to not make dwarves super cranky from their pants being destroyed through their armor... somehow. I'm giving that idea a go though; It shouldn't be too hard to add a belt that works similar to the already existing pouch.

Super! :)

69_BlueSpeedMouse_69

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 14, 2018, 06:47:14 am »

I have couple of problems with this mod.
First of all: When I installed your mod and the Metallurgy one I cannot build artillery, It shows me I need Bombard to build a bombard while I already forged Bombard Barrel.
Secondly: When I installed your mod without the Metallurgy one I actually can build artillery but when I order my dwarfs to load and shot it nothing happens. They seem to load it and fire but no projectile is ever fired.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02:59 am »

Hmmm, thats puzzling because the metallurgy mod shouldn't have any overlap with the cannons at all.

I'll check up on this later at home.

Edit: Was the failure to fire with an enemy standing in about a 100 degree arc in front of the gun? The gunner should wait with firing until theres something to actually shoot .
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:29:34 am by Grimlocke »

69_BlueSpeedMouse_69

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:43 am »

Hmmm, thats puzzling because the metallurgy mod shouldn't have any overlap with the cannons at all.

I'll check up on this later at home.

Edit: Was the failure to fire with an enemy standing in about a 1-- degree arc in front of the gun? The gunner should wait with firing until theres something to actually shoot .

I tried to testfire and also fire in an empty corridor, then I put my test dwarves in front of a cannon to see if they get hit and after that i tried shooting to bunch of crocodilles. In all of those tries no projectile was fired. I see that cannonballs and potash are hauled into cannon but are not fired. Also I noticed that DF hack sometimes returns A LOT of red errors. I'll try to repeat them and post a screenshot.

Edit: Here it is: https://i.imgur.com/w735qqd.jpg and it happened on a completly new fort.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:43:05 am by 69_BlueSpeedMouse_69 »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26