Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115073 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7a: Guns & Fashion!
« Reply #345 on: October 14, 2018, 09:43:06 am »

Ah, I may have forgotten to fix the test fire reaction.

I'd like to see the dfhack errors though, also they should have blasted the crocodiles.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

69_BlueSpeedMouse_69

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 14, 2018, 09:57:06 am »

Ah, I may have forgotten to fix the test fire reaction.

I'd like to see the dfhack errors though, also they should have blasted the crocodiles.

Recreated the testing and got this: https://i.imgur.com/a4xzvI2.jpg

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:45 am »

Gah... Ok, not entirely positive why that's happening. Could you run "modtools/arty-mod -list" for me? I read over it and it might have somehow lost its properties which would make the projectile speed go all 'uuh, you can't make my speed a not number', which is what that message says there.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

69_BlueSpeedMouse_69

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 14, 2018, 10:59:59 am »

Gah... Ok, not entirely positive why that's happening. Could you run "modtools/arty-mod -list" for me? I read over it and it might have somehow lost its properties which would make the projectile speed go all 'uuh, you can't make my speed a not number', which is what that message says there.

Here you go: https://i.imgur.com/HmPkbuW.jpg

But there was another problem...new world, new cannon, new alligators and new error.
https://i.imgur.com/hSZrlm8.jpg

Another one: https://i.imgur.com/C1AgMNI.jpg

I tried to run this in DFHack
modtools/arty-mod -artyType ITEM_TOOL_BARREL_BOMBARD -loadTime 1000 -range 100 -shootForce 72000 -rotateTime 600
But it didnt help
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:16:08 am by 69_BlueSpeedMouse_69 »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 14, 2018, 11:17:11 am »

Ok, neither of these things have any business happening. I'm going to subject this to a couple new round of troubleshooting once I have time, which should be in the next ~24 hours.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2018, 11:22:29 am »

Found the problem, apparently items only have weight if something tells to them to calculate weight. Else its just zero, so it ended up dividing by zero which caused the 'not an integer' error. The reason it didn't come up during testing is because I was checking the ammunition was loaded before firing, which forces the game to calculate weight to show it in the UI.

Thankfully dfhack has a handy function to force items to calculate weight.

I also found some issues with the targeting function, namely it trying to shoot through floor, it not trying to shoot through fortifications and it not always picking the closest target.

Those are fixed too, I also made the targeting a little less resource intensive by not having it iterate through every unit on the map, and sorting them by range before checking against other conditions. Also prevented fired ammo from occasionally remaining in the barrel, somehow, by now just deleting the item and spawning a copy. The moveToGround function is... uselessly unreliable.

69_BlueSpeedMouse_69

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2018, 11:25:34 am »

Found the problem, apparently items only have weight if something tells to them to calculate weight. Else its just zero, so it ended up dividing by zero which caused the 'not an integer' error. The reason it didn't come up during testing is because I was checking the ammunition was loaded before firing, which forces the game to calculate weight to show it in the UI.

Thankfully dfhack has a handy function to force items to calculate weight.

I also found some issues with the targeting function, namely it trying to shoot through floor, it not trying to shoot through fortifications and it not always picking the closest target.

Those are fixed too, I also made the targeting a little less resource intensive by not having it iterate through every unit on the map, and sorting them by range before checking against other conditions. Also prevented fired ammo from occasionally remaining in the barrel, somehow, by now just deleting the item and spawning a copy. The moveToGround function is... uselessly unreliable.

Thank you ;) Great work done!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion
« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2018, 11:42:20 am »

Gah. Forgot to uncomment the hostility check.

Uploaded another fixed version that doens't try and murder your own dwarves.

I should add: I havn't yet fixed the 'test fire' command, it was being kind of useless after I added firer tracking to the projectiles which prevents it from harming your dwarves, pet animals, neutral characters, etc.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 19, 2018, 03:30:46 am »

Gah. Forgot to uncomment the hostility check.

Uploaded another fixed version that doens't try and murder your own dwarves.

I should add: I havn't yet fixed the 'test fire' command, it was being kind of useless after I added firer tracking to the projectiles which prevents it from harming your dwarves, pet animals, neutral characters, etc.

But, projectiles should harm your dwarves, pet animals, neutral characters, etc, if they're between the firer and the target.  Ammo of this era doesn't have Friend-or-Foe recognition.

Betrix5068

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2018, 08:33:29 pm »

I really like this mod but it's really hard to use since other mods I consider essential, like adventurecraft for example, are incredibly conflict heavy. You also make the installation process unnecicarily confusing by having your files set up as they are. Formatting them to the standard PyLNP's mod loader uses would be a godsend.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 20, 2018, 04:46:42 am »

@Euchrejack: In theory yes, they should. But right now fortress mode combat is not really controllable, there's no way for the player to prevent his dwarves from charging out in front of the guns and getting shot to pieces. That's bound to get old sooner rather than later. You may have noticed the regular ranged weapons don't have friendly fire either.

Also the hostility check on projectiles is kind of hard to manipulate, it requires the projectile having no firer set, which trips up the ranged-mod script in all sorts of ways. Right now implementing friendly fire seems not quite worth the bother; friendly fire mechanics are only fun if there's a reasonable way to prevent it.

@Betrix5068: I've not used PyLNP myself, I'll give it a look at some point if its easier for folks to use.

Adventurecraft is... probably going to be a bit of a nightmare to make compatible. It does the thing where it gives custom materials to a whole range of creatures, many of them set in the creature file itself. Vanilla file changes are aren't marked or annotated. Not much I can do about this I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:58:35 am by Grimlocke »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2018, 12:54:20 am »

@Euchrejack: In theory yes, they should. But right now fortress mode combat is not really controllable, there's no way for the player to prevent his dwarves from charging out in front of the guns and getting shot to pieces. That's bound to get old sooner rather than later. You may have noticed the regular ranged weapons don't have friendly fire either.

Also the hostility check on projectiles is kind of hard to manipulate, it requires the projectile having no firer set, which trips up the ranged-mod script in all sorts of ways. Right now implementing friendly fire seems not quite worth the bother; friendly fire mechanics are only fun if there's a reasonable way to prevent it.

I thought it was probably something like that, but I couldn't resist commenting.  Thanks for the explanation.

Betrix5068

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 04, 2018, 06:32:40 pm »

Figured I should mention that I ditched adventurecraft not long after your post since, like you said, its internals are an utter mess and the author seems to think making it an even greater mess is worth it so the thing is more idiot proof, which is stupid since DF has an idiotproofing mechanism hardcoded into it's very soul and smartproofing isn't something anyone asked for. I would mention that Sver's combat mod is incompatible though, and since his is A: well made, B: well annotated, C: inline with your own goals of realism and historical authenticity, and D: already borrowing code, a compatch would make plenty of sense.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 04, 2018, 07:13:59 pm »

Not sure what you mean. A patch between my mod and Grimlocke's? They are pretty much two different takes on the same parts of the game, with some already being exactly the same, while others are mutually exclusive. What features do you think can be merged here?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »

Mostly, what Sver said. Our two mods have very few features that don't overlap, aside from some items that would likely still be functionally redundant if added. The only thing I can see is Sver's war horses, which might actually already be compatible with my mod.

One compatch I'm planning to include though is one for Taffer's excellent Revised mod, which I'll be getting around once he has his new release out.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26