Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 114852 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.40.xx) - Revision 3b
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:19 pm »

How is the progress on the new changes?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:38 am »

Been messing around with descriptions and noses mostly. The latter not being particularly productive to be honest...

Also tried a few ASCII art image makers to see if I can get a somewhat legible picture into the game. Here's a few screenshots:

Description, there's more when you scroll down. For some reason the game only wants to display that many lines of info despite having much more room below.

Tried to put a picture from an old fighting manual in the ASCII art screen. Sort of works but only when you zoom out a lot.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »

A good effort, but I would put it below removing silly flat strikes and unnecessary explosions into gore on the priority list.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:01 am »

Any more progress on the next version?

For old times' sake.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2015, 12:54:15 am »

So question: The latest revision seems to have a large number of new reactions in the entity files.

Code: [Select]

<><><><><><><><>    Reactions & Buildings <><><><><><><><>

[PERMITTED_BUILDING:PIT_BLOOMERY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:1_IRON_ORE->-SMALL_BLOOM]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:CHIMNEY_BLOOMERY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:4_IRON_ORE->-LARGE_BLOOM]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:BLAST_FURNACE]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:MAGMA_BLAST_FURNACE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SMELT_IRON_ORE_BLAST_FURNACE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SMELT_IRON_ORE_BLAST_FURNACE_COKE]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:CRUCIBLE_FURNACE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON->-RAW_CRUCIBLE_STEEL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_CRUCIBLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:GLASS->-GLASS_POWDER]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:FINERY_FORGE]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:MAGMA_FINERY_FORGE]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:TRIP_HAMMER]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:4_PIG_IRON->-SMALL_BLOOM]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:16_PIG_IRON->-LARGE_BLOOM]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RAW_BLOOM_SMALL->-BLOOM_SMALL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RAW_BLOOM_LARGE->-BLOOM_LARGE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RAW_BLOOM_LARGE->-RAW_BLOOM_SMALL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BLOOM_SMALL->-BARS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BLOOM_LARGE->-BARS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:METEORITE->-BARS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON->-STEEL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON->-PIG_IRON]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL->-PIG_IRON]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_PATTERNED_START]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CONTINUE_HAMMERING_FINERY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CONTINUE_HAMMERING_TRIP_HAMMER]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CHARCOAL->-CHARCOAL_POWDER]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_STONE_ARROWS_LEAF]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_STONE_ARROWS_BROADHEAD]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ENT_IRON]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ENT_STEEL_PATTERNED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ENT_STEEL_CRUCIBLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ENT_METEORIC_IRON]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_1]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_2]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_3]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_4]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_5]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_6]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_7]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_8]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_9]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RESERVE_10]

Considering that the files provided do not include reactions or buildings, I believe this might be something left in by mistake.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

Gah! Thought I removed that. Must have mixed up some files somewhere...

I have been rather more preoccupied than I though I would be the last few days, I can post a fix for the weapons right now if you want though. Nothing on the face-parts problem though, anything I change there just seems to make things worse. I might make an optional 'module' that just replaced them all (except teeth) with dummy bodyparts, though im not sure I can fully prevent them from showing up in weird places.

EDIT: Dropped an updated item_weapon file on the first post. Its got the flat strikes removed and a number of secondary attacks cleaned up and made consistent. It also turned out the one-handed axes had two flat strike attacks... not sure how that got there!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:00:14 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.40.xx) - Revision 3c
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 03:51:11 pm »

Installed the item_weapon file. Silly flat strikes are gone, but super strong eyelids still exist.

For old times' sake.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2015, 01:03:59 pm »

So these files effectively remove most clothing types for some reason, and the entity files actually seem to be supposed to give them clothes that don't exist.

Code: [Select]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SURCOAT:FORCED]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TABARD:FORCED]

I think you need to take a closer look at your files.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2015, 04:21:47 pm »

The tabard and surcoat are in item_body, they are overcoats like cloaks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by removing clothing. All the vanilla clothing items are modified but still there with the same names.

I think something might have gone wrong installing it there, did you use all the files or just a few of them? If its the latter, keep in mind the armor file for instance only has actual armor in it now, body clothing is moved to item_body to save on clutter.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 05:23:45 pm »

Now I see the problem. I was using winmerge and never noticed the item_body file.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:37 am »

Any more progress on super eyelids?

For old times' sake.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2015, 04:03:48 pm »

I am actually aware that a lucerne hammer is a polearm, but it's the type of head and I can't find what that should be called to differentiate from the non-spiked war hammer types so I figured I'd just leave it since I know what I mean most of the time. :D

Also, I had the hilarious mental image of fiddling with making facial features less prone to being hit and getting weird results like whacking someone in the elbow and having teeth fly everywhere, what is wrong with me?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2015, 01:02:23 pm »

Alright, follow some procrastination, experimentation and some test subjects dying from old age, this is where I arrived at:

I have made all face-bits internal safe for the eyes, reduced their size and removed lips and cheeks on creatures that use the 'FACIAL_FEATURES' bodypart entry, which is about all humanoid creatures at least. Somehow this does not actually seem to result in noticeable errors with the descriptions.

Its not perfect, as things like ears but also the tongue and mouth behave like internal organs, but all other solutions either require me to alter just about every creature entry in the game, or just plain don't work. Embedding them should work the same way it works for fingers and throats, but its bugged for helmets. Bodypart relations like the ones skulls use don't work reliably either. There is also no way to transfer damage to an embedded part to the parent bodypart. I tried removing all the completely superfluous bodyparts by just leaving their raw entry empty, but that generates a flood of errors.

The AI can at least no longer target lips and teeth and such, though it comes at the cost of silly combat reports like blows glancing off the helmet, doing no damage, yet still somehow tearing apart an ears, noses and... tongues. Which is also the reason I left eyes as they are. That and hitting eyes through a helmet actually makes sense. Teeth can still be damaged but stopped flying all over the place, kind of a shame but at least it doesn't render all your soldiers toothless after a while.

Replace the contents of body_default with this: http://pastebin.com/7ivj3nRt to give this a try, it will be released with the main mod after I'm done making vain attempts at a more graceful solution.

Also making ears into joints causes the AI to get stuck endlessly bending someone's ear, which is kind of funny.

The scratch attack does seem more glaringly silly now. It would be fairly trivial to remove on the entity and beast races...

Other stuff I have been working on is mostly minor weapon balance/bug corrections as well as slews of item descriptions. Looking forward to any feedback you may have!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2015, 01:16:11 pm »

Remove scratching if its effects are too daft.

For old times' sake.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 02:02:49 pm »

Has there been any more progress? You could try making a mod compatible with this mod:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139049.0

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26