Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115104 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.40.xx) - Revision 3c
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2015, 04:34:49 pm »

Since this seems to have gone dead for some reason, does anyone want to take this over? Weapon placement on characters in adventure mode and other features are still not complete, and my modding skills are poor to say the least.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

Severe bug here: partial plate armour is not covering the upper legs. Questions will be asked.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:52 pm »

Weapon placement on characters in adventure mode and other features are still not complete, and my modding skills are poor to say the least.

Could you explain what that requires / entails, and what hasn't been done on it yet?
The silver is responsible for this How?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2015, 07:01:57 pm »

Well, my post notification were emails were not going to the right place.

To answer a few questions: I have become rather severely mired in all this real life stuff, including work and studies at the same time and was left somewhat too mentally drained to make a decent effort at modding.

First and foremost if anyone want to continue/fork this mod by all means do so! It was made to be used and if anyone wants to put work in improving it then all the better. Just drop my name somewhere in the credits somewhere and be sure to ask here if you need help with anything.

For things like adventurer equipment placing, raw modding just won't do. It gives only very limited control what is used where and how. Right now the main problems is the game just sticks any random helmet and chest armor on a uniform which it uses for all of an entity's soldiers which... causes some stupid stuff. It's all hardcoded behavious so rither someone with some wicked memory hacking/scripting skills will have to come along, or we must pray to the Toady One to bless us with more elaborate equipment implementation.

The partial plate armor is... well partial. It does not cover the whole body and is to be worn over a coat of mail. It is the predecessor of the full plate armor, looking a bit like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is one of the reasons I wanted the item descriptions, without it the game has no way of telling you how thick or what the coverage on a piece of armor is. Similar issues arise with weapons.

I think most of the text descriptions are finished actually, might finish those up after the next exam.

Anyhow for better or worse, I will have more free time around the end of the year. Perhaps we will have a new DF to work with too then.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »

My fort cannot make mail shirts, full plate, or indeed any torso armour other than partial plate at the metalsmith's forge. It is a reclaimed fortress. Only 1 type of armour is available for each body part. What is causing this problem?

For old times' sake.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:44 pm »

sounds like your missing the needed token in the entity file. Partial plate uses one of the vanilla item identifiers, if that's the only one showing up then likely your entity only has the default armor tokens.

This can be partially fixed on an existing save game (no pun intended), what you need to do is open op the entity_default file, scroll down to the entity your playing as (dwarves are the top one) and replace everything from [WEAPON to [TRAPCOMP with the tokens from ent_tags file that come with this mod. You can remove weapons and armor from the list if they don't seem appropriate.

After this you will be able to make the new equipment in your fortress, but migrants (and possibly invaders) will still only bring the old stuff.

Alternately if your current entities are completely unmodded (beside this mod that is) you can just overwrite it with the entity_default file supplied with this mod. It might still have those annoying stray reactions tokens in it but they won't do anything other than spam up the errorlog.

Fixing the other entities as well might solve at least some of the rubbish equipment placement on entity characters, thought likely only on a new save.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2015, 09:05:40 am »

I installed the replacement entity_default file. Things should be better now. Watch this space.

For old times' sake.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:36 am »

I've created a mod that combines these awesome toys with beastfolk, with full credit to this mod.  Let me know your thoughts.

It is all based upon the game Anamnesis, of Renascents and Monsters that featured beastfolk with roughly a Victorian era feel (very roughly: Tech varies abundantly in the game).  I thought adding these mods together might be fun, and they are.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:55 am »

I like the sound of it! If its fun then I am in full support  :P

This mod is not quite set in early renaissance but since there's late medieval things in there it could be pretty easily retrofitted.

I actually made an attempt at making a hand cannon at some point, by basically making a super-powerful crossbow with no ranged weapon skill. It had the horrendous accuracy and fire rate, but entities didn't equip it right and it spammed up the error log and that didnt really suffice. There's plenty other people who made better attempts I think though.

For weapon sizes, these two tokens are relevant: [TWO_HANDED:160000] and [MINIMUM_SIZE:50000]
In that case, every creature below size 160000 will need to wield this with two hands or get a combat penalty, and need to be above 50000 size to use it at all.

Humans are 70000, dwarves, elves and goblins are 60000.

Keep it mind that a creature's variation in height and broadness change the size variable used for weapons, but not for armor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:53 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts!

Actually, "Late Medieval" is probably the correct term.  Although I always felt "Early Renaissance" sounded cooler.

I have had similar problems with firearms, and will probably decide to leave them out.
Sure, I could just steal from some gunpowder mod, but to be honest firearms never fit well in Dwarf Fortress, plus they tend to overshadow whatever mods feature them.

EDIT: It appears we are both absolutely right, and thank you for the information on the tokens to both understand and fix!
Proof:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[NAME:pick:picks]
[SIZE:280]
[SKILL:MINING]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]

I'm sure the axes are the same thing.  So I'll just mod in Spades and Hatchets, and my Hamsterfolk can Strike the Earth!

EDIT2: Done and updated.  Hamsterfolk unite!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2015, 06:33:22 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts!

Actually, "Late Medieval" is probably the correct term.  Although I always felt "Early Renaissance" sounded cooler.

I have had similar problems with firearms, and will probably decide to leave them out.
Sure, I could just steal from some gunpowder mod, but to be honest firearms never fit well in Dwarf Fortress, plus they tend to overshadow whatever mods feature them.

EDIT: It appears we are both absolutely right, and thank you for the information on the tokens to both understand and fix!
Proof:

I'm sure the axes are the same thing.  So I'll just mod in Spades and Hatchets, and my Hamsterfolk can Strike the Earth!

Firearms fit in Dwarf Fortress if they are of a sort which existed before 1400, so fire lances, hand cannon, and cannon.

For old times' sake.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2015, 11:59:42 am »

Thanks for the thoughts!

Proof:

Firearms fit in Dwarf Fortress if they are of a sort which existed before 1400, so fire lances, hand cannon, and cannon.

I actually meant that firearms don't fit in Dwarf Fortress mechanically.  The game just wasn't build to accommodate firearms, with their metallic-only ammo.  Trying to get the firearms not to use wood or bone ammo generally introduces new problems, such as civs not actually using the firearms, or not being able to fire the firearms.

Plus, my concern again is that even if firearms were possible without the above problems, they would take attention away from the rest of my mod.  Focus would be on the guns instead of the Elephantmen wielding them.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2015, 04:01:37 pm »

I must admit though, an elephant man in full plate armor wielding a bombard would be pretty hilarious  :P

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2015, 04:07:21 pm »

I must admit though, an elephant man in full plate armor wielding a bombard would be pretty hilarious  :P

That's not hilarious, that's scary as hell.

Swords-Otter

• Bay Watcher
  • "there is always hope"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2015, 02:13:52 am »

I'm sorry but I have to call BS on removing leather armour. I have seen leather armour, made with historical techniques, and it is actually almost as good as metal armour in terms of protection.
There are two types of great forts. Theres "hey guys look at my awesome fort were we kill all the invaders and have steel everything". Then there's
 "Holy **** every thing is all ****ed up What the **** have we done ?"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26