Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115066 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.40.xx) - Revision 3c
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2015, 12:34:39 pm »

Thank you for clarifying the stacking issue.

How is gunpowder implementation going? Obviously there would have to be a gunpowder industry, involving potash and charcoal.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2015, 09:35:42 am »

Gunpowder industry is not really possible to fully mod in.

It requires a whole lot of workarounds to even get small-arms to work, including some DFhack sorcery to make the weapons behave remotely realistically. Getting the game to requires both gunpowder and a bullet is not going to happen, so I would have to make a weird, anachronistic bullet and power cartridge. I could possible get the reload times to be longer, but getting the AI to realize that when it gets attacked in a melee they need to stop reloading and actually defend themselves is likely impossible.

And the actual main use of medieval gunpowder, bombards and cannons, are just sadly infeasible as it is.

Of course of anyone knows a way to get around any of this, do tell!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:17 pm »

Eagerly awaiting a 42.01 version!

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:15 pm »

Eagerly awaiting a 42.01 version!

I think this version is compatible with 42.01, but I'm not 100% sure. I mean, there wasn't any modifications on the weapon item raws as far as I know.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:44 pm »

I installed it. You just have to manually assign the entity stuff, as I believe entities were greatly changed in the update. It's just a matter of putting the weapon and armor tags where they need to go.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2015, 01:32:58 pm »

Poking through the raws right now, seems only the entity file really needs any modifying, but who knows there might be some new stuff I could use to solve some of the existing problems.

EDIT: Seems like the material templates file needs some minor editing, ill put it up as soon as its done.

Even more EDIT: Ok, there were actually quite a few files that needed updating, mostly ones that were related to the combat rebalancing part of the mod. Parchment and sweet drunkenness is at stake here! But panic not, I have updated to mod and put up a new revision on the first post.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:51:46 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.42.xx) - Revision 4
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

Any forthcoming updates, Grim?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.42.xx) - Revision 4b
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2015, 10:11:36 pm »

Whelp, got one right now, I just found out when making an extra test game dir that I didn't make the download package right and mixed some stock files in there, causing some stupid duplicate gauntlets to happen.

Updated the download once more.

For actual new content, I am a bit... with not much to do with this new DF version, cool as it is it doesn't enable this mod to do anything new.

For now it should at least work.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2015, 10:49:24 am »

It seems, you forgot to modify bismuth bronze

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2015, 05:48:13 pm »

Replaces the stock weapons and armor with historically accurate late 14th, early 15th ones from the European continent.
Alters combat to be both more realistic and interesting.
Was hoping for more 2nd century setting, might try it at some point.
Shame that there's no mounted combat yet, then it would really be worth trying.

Though how do crossbows fair?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:56 am »

A 2nd century setting would still feature iron armour and steel swords, but in different models to what was seen later.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »

I've generally avoided mods for Dwarf Fortress in the past, but after spending a few hours with this mod I'm in love with it. It helps out combat descriptions, adds more variety to weaponry, helps arm the general populace, and of course adds a very nice variety of weapons and armor to the game. Everything seems to fit in with the setting, in my opinion. I combined your body changes with the Modest Mod's optional Modest Bodies module, and I quite like the results. Thank you kindly! I hope that you continue developing this mod, even if only to just keep the RAWs updated to new versions. I've linked here in my tileset's description. If you do decide to start using DFHack, would it be too much trouble to make that optional? I don't use it, personally.

The only issue I've noticed is this error message: WORM_MAN:Attack PUNCHY seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:21:22 pm by Taffer »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »

Thank you for the kind words and linkage, and your welcome  ;D

And I will at the very least keep this mod functioning at the current DF version, time permitting. I do eventually want to make some modifications to make the mod a bit more accurate to a specific period, rather than the 2 century span it has now.

What would be really neat is if I could make a make the technology actually progress during play, and let the player run their own little arms factories in a kind of Milanese style, but thats kind of a far-off pipe dream as it is. I already have a mostly-functioning 'historic metallurgy and metalsmithing' mod, but wasnt really satisfied about what I could do with the 40.xx version. I might have another shot at it with 42.xx.

I have a long long list of descriptions that can be used with a DFhack plugin to give ingame descriptions of items (useful, as some of the names and functions are rather obscure), but it will be an optional part and should not interfere with much else. As much as I would like to use DFhack to fix some of the more undesirable oddities in the game, I really haven't a clue how to heheh.

The error is most likely due to some conflicting stuff from the Modest Bodies mod, I might look into making a patch for the modest mod stuff as it seems to match this mod fairly well.

So yeah no shortage of stuff for me to tinker with. Slight shortage on time and self discipline though hehe.

@KillzEmAllGod crossbow fair largely the same as hand bows, with slightly more armor penetration potential and slightly less damage surface. The reason its all fairly slight is because I can't change anything about reload time, damage falloff, range, etc. This is also the reason there are currently no gunpowder weapons.

Mounted combat would of course be nice but that's up to Toady One to implement I'm afraid.

And you are entirely free to port this mod to any setting you like, if you need advice on how to balance it feel free to ask anytime.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2015, 08:41:35 am »

The error is most likely due to some conflicting stuff from the Modest Bodies mod, I might look into making a patch for the modest mod stuff as it seems to match this mod fairly well.

I identified the source of the error: 0.42.04 changed c_variation_default.txt, and the changes haven't been merged into this mod.

Thanks again!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2015, 10:12:52 pm »

Ah. That would explain it, I'm still on an older version.

I'll patch that out along with some other minor changes later.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26