Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115074 times)

Highwayleopard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.42.xx) - Revision 4b
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2016, 04:31:58 am »

G'day! So uhm, I'm a pretty.. well, not great dwarf fortresser, and certainly new to exploring modifications. I saw yours and my interest was piqued. I enjoyed playing with immensely, but for some reason, whenever I load up a save game made with this mod, it crashes. This is using the latest 42.03 LNP build. I am not sure if there's some info I can do to help figure it out, but I just wanted to know if I was missing something blindingly obvious?

Sorry if my problem isn't specific enough!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2016, 05:07:04 am »

Oh that's always annoying. If you can post the contents on error.log file which can be found in the same folder with the game's .exe (post just the last couple dozen lines if its any larger) then I will have a look once I get home.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Highwayleopard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2016, 07:50:32 am »

I did another clean install just to make sure it had no contaminated results. Despite the fact that I've done a clean install twice prior before posting this, it appears to be working.

It's a mystery!

I'm sorry to have bothered ya, hopefully it keeps working. Cheers again!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2016, 08:17:30 am »

Heheh, it might just have been some obscure worldgen glitch not even related to the mod. Its fairly close after the major release after all, those things can happen.

Either way, have Fun  :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Highwayleopard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2016, 09:38:57 pm »

AND AFTER SAYING THAT.

It crashed again.

Idk if it's because I fiddled a bit with entity_default copy+pasting the tags a bit to customise who gets what weapons and the like, but this is what I got in the error log.

Duplicate Object: item ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS

Pretty clear cut seeming, but I don't know where to go to fix this.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2016, 02:02:52 am »

What in the... ok, I fixed that before, but looking at the download file it still has the broken version there. That is just plain annoying.

For now this can be fixed by removing the duplicate glove items, by replacing the entire contents of item_gloves in the raws folder with this:
Code: [Select]
item_gloves

[OBJECT:ITEM]
[ITEM_GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS]
[NAME:mitten:mittens]
[LAYER:COVER]
[COVERAGE:300]
[LAYER_SIZE:8]
[LAYER_PERMIT:0]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]

Sadly this likely won't work with an existing save, duplicate objects like this usually cause all sorts of weirdness.

Pardon the wasted time and confusion. I'm really not sure why the download file didn't update properly but I will be replacing it with this fix and a couple other fixed later today.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's Historic Arms & Armor (0.42.xx) - Revision 4c
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »

Updated! See main post for changes. All should work without any annoying duplicate gloves now.

Highwayleopard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2016, 11:30:27 pm »

Thanks very much mate! You're a legend!

Just checked the 4c Item_Gloves. Just making sure, as your fix previous suggested just having the mittens, this one has

[ITEM_GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES]
   [NAME:glove:gloves]
   [LAYER:UNDER]
   [COVERAGE:2500]10000
   [LAYER_SIZE:4]
   [LAYER_PERMIT:2]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
   [SOFT]
   [LEATHER]
   [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL]

[ITEM_GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS]
   [NAME:mitten:mittens]
   [LAYER:OVER]
   [COVERAGE:167]
   [LAYER_SIZE:12]
   [LAYER_PERMIT:10]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
   [SOFT]
   [LEATHER]
   [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL]

Is that correct? Danke.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:42:38 pm by Highwayleopard »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2016, 11:48:13 pm »

Should be good now, I moved the gloves back from the armor file to there. Can't quite remember why I even put them there.

Of course, you can always keep a look at the errorlog file if you want to be sure, especially if you ever start adding in more mods.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:56:56 pm by Grimlocke »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2016, 01:20:22 am »

Here's my fixed c_variation_default.txt file. Works for me: all 42.04 changes were merged into your old c_variation_default.txt, as confirmed with diff. I started working on a new body_default.txt with Modest Mod's renamed body parts, but I ran out of steam partway.

Considering that the renamed body parts are more specific rather than the generic "upper/lower" convention and there are some new creature variations, I wasn't completely sure that the new body part names would always fit. I'd also want to do some combat testing before adding in the new joints, as well.

body_default.txt nonsense aside, here it is. Thank you again for the mod. Hopefully you don't run out of steam to update this. I would consider dropping the "stock material version" to minimize workload.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:51:57 am by Taffer »

Haruspex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

I liked the mod a lot, but i got a question: why all blunt weapons have "edged" bash attack? That makes them act weird against unarmored targets. I've tried to replace it with "blunt" in raws for maul, and it behaves roughly same as with "edge" (tested it against opponent in full plate steel armor with leather and cloth underwear, cloak and coat).

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:54 am »

Its because the blunt and edged attacks are very annoyingly tied to AI behavior.

If there is any EDGE attack present, it will use that attack as a primary attack, but if all the attacks are BLUNT it will only use the actual main attack a 4th of the time, making the weapon rather useless unless your using it as an adventurer.

You may have noticed all the 'edged' blunt attacks have little to no penetration depth, which will make them behave like a blunt weapon, only the combat announcements get weird here and there. Its not a perfect solution but I figured it was the least imperfect one hehe.

@Taffer: awesome, thanks! I will have a look once I get home. The modest mod joints shouldn't have a huge impact on combat as they cannot actually be target with regular attacks, though it would be good to check if they don't break too easily when covered in armor. I will have a look at that sometime soon and put out as an optional patch.

In case anyone is curious, I have been mucking around with replacing specific weapon skills with general skills for one-handed, two-handed and polearm weapons (shamelessly ripping off mount & blade? maaaybe...), as I always found it somewhat stupid that my dwarves have to completely re-learn fighting when switching from an axe to a hammer.
It does have some undesirable consequences, such as wood cutting needing some workarounds, and I have been considering merging the two-handed and polearms skills just to get the NPC equipment to make some sense for once. (right now NPCs with two-handed weapons always lug around a shield as well and use the weapon one-handed)

If I have something I find satisfactory I may put up a poll to see if anyone actually wants this.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:36 am »

if I could give my two cents, I'd think it would be better from a realism standpoint to not divide it up so cleanly, as in, into one hand/ two hand/ polearm. For instance, I could see someone who is well versed in using a hatchet also being able to use a hammer just as effectively. The techniques and form are generally the same. However, I couldn't see this same person picking up an epee for the first time and using it just as flawlessly, as would work out in such a division. It would probably be better to divide skills into "groups" of general combat techniques, somehow. Obviously things wouldn't be perfect, but it would make more sense than the current setup, at least in my opinion.
Everything's in the news today

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2016, 02:52:52 am »

I vaguely considered that at some point, but I kinda ran into a lot walls when trying to actually bring it into practice.

Mostly because melee weapons tend to have a lot of different aspects to them, some similar to other, some not at all. Making a separate class for them all would put me well over the number of skills DF has.

Naming also gets awkward really quick, and actually not period accurate for naming at all. For instance if I were to make a class 'cut-and-thrust polearms' class I would I end up with names like 'dabbling cut-and-thrust polearm dwarf'? Even more so with things like 'thrust-centric swordsgoblin' or 'far-centre-of-mass one-handed weapon dwarf'.

Though having meticulously specific yet rather cumbersome names is kind of in the spirit of DF...

Know what, I will give it some more thought when I'm not being plagued by toothache and under the influence of scottish painkiller, might even throw all these alternate weapon skill ideas in a poll somewhere.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2016, 04:28:22 pm »

Are you going to add Taffer's c_variation_default.txt to the base mod?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26