Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115092 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.43.05) - Revision 6b
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:10 am »

Update bump! Fixed some minor derps: the missing aluminum entry for the non-metallurgy version, and nervous tissue being damaged earlier than I imagined.

Also fixed a rather major derp where I included a crappy old material template file!
Updating will be somewhat important for not having borky combat balance.

Everything should still be savegame compatible.

Also added a compatibility patch for Dwarf Fortress Revised! This replaced the Modest Bodies patch that was included before, but the body_default file that was that patch is still the same.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:38 pm »

Great work!

So metallurgy should work fine with revised?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2017, 05:16:14 am »

Yes, the two mods don't have a huge amount of overlap to begin with.

Though I should probably vet the microreduce mod now that I think about it... Will elaborate once I'm back home.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 23, 2017, 11:22:46 am »

Yesterday ended up being... long. Updated the mod today to not include a steel reaction which kind of breaks the metallurgy component (really should have read the full description of that component).

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 23, 2017, 05:53:32 pm »

If I'm updating a save will this break it?
If that's not the case what file just needs replacing?

Found where it was and deleting it wasn't the best idea.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:12:20 pm by KillzEmAllGod »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:24 am »

If your updating your save, just bump out the STEEL_MAKING2_(something) reaction from your entity_default file. Or just edit the reaction to have no building, reagents and products. It doesn't create any horrible duplication errors so all that's needed it to break it somehow.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2017, 12:50:54 am »

You were talking of having to use DFHack later on, what features would require it?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2017, 12:33:16 pm »

Lots of them, most importantly armor impairment effects (think slightly reduced agility, reduced sight for visored helmets, etc) and being able to set up a tech tree for armor and weapon manufacturing along with a more interesting smithing process (heat treatment, skill-based material results, skill-based building requirements).

There are also some minor annoyances that I figured could be corrected with DFhack, such as the 'increased willpower during battle' interaction being somewhat unreliable.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2017, 02:05:59 am »

It would be very helpful if the reactions had explanatory tooltips, getting a bit confused with some of them and not remembering the amount of reagents required as well. Might also help with some of the text not fitting without truetype on.

Wouldn't using buckets instead of bags for charcoal powder be more ideal? 

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:34 pm »

Reaction descriptions are on the to-do list, should be done for the next update.

I might modify the make charcoal powder reaction to be able to use more than one type of container (was considering jugs, a container that can be sealed would make sense). It can indeed be a bit of a hassle with having to make new bags due to sand and food also using bags.

eddievxx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »

Hello, I am really enjoying this mod but I am only just getting to grips with it. Great work!
To that end, can anyway give me (or direct me to if I have missed it) even just a basic run-down of the metallurgy work-flows; like how and where do I produce steel, how do you use billets (vs bars) and the like? I am sure I'll figure it out in time, and I am attempting to decipher the raw files but there's still lots I am scratching my head over (which is great by the way, I love this kind of thing).

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2017, 12:10:10 am »

Should be using the puddle and blast furnace to make pig iron and then that into iron bars.
With the finery reactions Case hard iron bars into steel, need charcoal powder done at a quern or millstone, needs a lot of bags. After that you hammer out the  billets there will be alot of them to hammer. Billets also go under tools in the finished good stockpile slag is under stone.

There's also an iron stone? that I'm not sure what its used for?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2017, 01:36:57 am »

There are two ways to make iron and steel. The one KillEmAllGod described, or by using a bloomery.

The last one is a bit easier to set up and won't require any flux stone, but does require a more labor. You can build either a simple pit bloomery (basically a hole in the ground lined with clay), or a larger chimney bloomery, which can process 4 ore at once instead of just 1. Both will produce a bloom (a lump of iron and slag) which will be hammered out into billets and then into bars.

Billets and blooms are automatically processed by a finery (a forge used for refining metal) or a trip hammer (a big, mechanically powered hammer), but can also be set manually from a regular forge.

Not sure where your seeing an iron stone though, unless you mean the sponge iron material, which is used for iron blooms. That is used to prevent weirdness like being able to assign blooms for melting.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2017, 03:05:09 pm »

It's just "iron" with a weight of 700 or so said it can be used like normal iron bars. just been using the blast furnace.

eddievxx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »

Right that makes sense. And the pattern-welded and crucible steels are better qualities I assume.

I think this is a great addition to the game, I was always disappointed how easy it was (without this mod) to make steel arms and armour, and that there was no further choices. This is far better. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26