Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115088 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.02) - Revision 6c
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »

Sorry, I'm just a Grammar Nazi. It irrationally makes me angry a little bit, because there is already a perfectly good singular non-gendered pronoun, "its", and "their" is better as a plural pronoun.
What is "policor"?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 21, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »

'Politically correct'. Apparently, people object to being referred to with the pronoun normally reserved for inanimate things and animals.

It IS also grammatically correct, and has been used to refer to a party of whom the gender isn't known, such as 'Somebody left their umbrella at the office'. 'its' would look very out of place in this example.

Dwarf Fortress itself does use 'its', but that was likely never intended to apply to sentient creatures instead of golems and such.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 22, 2017, 09:22:05 am »

its has always been referred to as a genderless singular pronoun.  keyword is genderless, its does not refer to a thing that could have any gender in english, its reserved for things that have no gender.  Referring to a thing as an it, is to say it has no gender not that it can have any gender, thus its rude.  They|Their is not just a politically correct pronoun, but additionally it conveys agency of an actor and is appropriate for when referring to a person or group.  Have the children eaten? Yes they have.  Whose umbrella is this? I don't know, but they left their umbrella on the table.  Its an agency term that does not define its gender but does not additionally state that the bearer for the pronoun has no gender.  you would not say "It left its umbrella on the table," as then the question becomes what kind of thing is this that can leave items laying around?  Was it a robot?  saying "they left their" gives them the sort of agency of an actor, it wasn't some weird machine that can do things.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2018, 10:57:07 am »

Hi, I noticed a problem with the mod, it makes me unable to produce pig iron or steel (the bars, the weapons/armors/tool/object orders are there) it simply does not list making those as an option (not red like when you don't have the ingredients, the option to make steel and pig iron does not exist), I'm using the latest version of the mod (for version 44.02), and playing with the LazyNewb pack for dwarf fortress 44.05, is this the problem?, I thought since the version difference is not that great that it would work, but maybe there is a conflict of some kind?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2018, 10:55:42 am »

Oops, the email notification for this kinda went by me. In case your still around, there are pig iron producing reactions in the finery section of the regular forge, or in the specialized finery forge called 'make pig iron billet by case hardening steel/iron bars', and blast furnaces should output pig iron.

There isn't much of a reason to produce it if your using the bloomery furnace though, since its not really usable until you turn it into iron/steel/patternwelded steel. I'll have a see to make sure they actually show up in fortress mode.

The LNP pack and version 44.05 indeed shouldn't make any difference.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:57:18 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2018, 01:17:04 pm »

Oh?, did you change the name of the action? because searching for "make steel bars" in the manager screen gives me nothing, nor pig iron, also does this require the metallurgy section of the mod?, because I did not instal that, just the equipments, another thing I think somewhere in the mod its mentioned that you changed the properties of the "combat" metals so there would be a greater importance on wearing armor, and I have to ask if this is something that happened due to your mod:
I got my first goblin invasion and I noticed that they have steel crossbows, I thought only dwarves had access to steel?, then as my soldiers are fighting them, I notice in the combat log that a goblin crossbowman bashed my mace lord in the arm and the part exploded into gore, he then bashed the mace lord in the hand (or leg don't remember) and same result, exploded into gore, he then bashed the mace lord in the abdomen and it also exploded into gore, now my military was wearing long sleeved mail shirts, long chausers, visored saletes, bevors and brigandine (all made of iron due to my inability to make steel) all of good or exceptional quality... so how come a random goblin did all that with the butt of a crossbow through all their armor?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:15 am »

Oh. The non-metallurgy version doesn't touch the smelter reactions at all, so whatever disappeared your pig iron, it wasn't me.

The goblins with steel might have been an intended copy from the metallurgy mod, or some past change to make goblins a bit less flimsy. Either way, I might revert that back to iron since there is no higher-tier metal (other than the evil cyan stuff) in the stock metals version. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mail armor will, like in the vanilla game, not be very useful against blunt damage. I don't get how the crossbow goblin got through the brigandine though, can't quite replicate that in the arena either. It could be your mace dwarf got floored at that point, which multiplies any hit damage by quite a bit, possibly enough for the steel crossbow (which the game thinks is made entirely from steel) to get through? That or that was one hardcore crossbow goblin.

I do recommend using the padded armors, (aketon, padded coif) especially under mail armor since that can absorb at least some of the blunt damage.

Edit: Tested the floored scenario, with some mace skill and a steel crossbow you can indeed kill a brigandine+mail guy by first flooring them by breaking a leg. It takes a while though.

I considered nerfing the crossbow melee attack when I made this mod, but left it as a somewhat crappy mace since there is no way to make soldiers carry and switch to a sidearm. The marksdwarf suicide charge is annoying enough as it is.

Edityetgain: Adding some padding in the form of an akaton makes the crossbow useless against even a prone enemy. Cloth armor works! Hooray!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:01:28 am by Grimlocke »

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2018, 06:45:41 am »

Oh. The non-metallurgy version doesn't touch the smelter reactions at all, so whatever disappeared your pig iron, it wasn't me.
I don't know what to say, I did a fresh install of the game, created a world started the fortress quickly made a manager and office, then check the others, make pig iron and steel were there, then I put the mod in, created another world, did the manager thing and boom!, make pig iron and make steel don't show (I only put the contents of "1 - Arms and Armor" in the raw's objects folder, do I need something else there?, is something in the Arms and Armor folder supposed to go somewhere else? also the version I got is "Grim's History and Realism Mods - Rev6c")

About the goblin, that were a very strange case, none of the other dwarfs got hit, so it could be that that goblin was very exceptional and maybe the difference from iron to steel in terms of damage vs protection is just so great that a child using a basic steel hammer could hit an iron full plate foot knight and it would get through (extreme exaggeration)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2018, 05:45:08 pm »

Damnit, found what I did wrong. Somehow the non-metallurgy entity file lost its entity reaction permission tokens for steel and pig iron making.

Uploaded a patched version: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13330

It should be fully save-compatible. Thanks for reporting this one.

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.05) - Revision 6c (+patch)
« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2018, 05:20:24 am »

Yes!, it worked, thank you!, on another note how much more complicated is the metallurgy mod compared to regular dwarf fortress? (in terms of making metal) and I assume the layered steel is better than regular steel right?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2018, 09:19:02 pm »

Basic iron production is fairly simple to set up, with a lump and clay and some leather giving you a basic iron smelting building (a pit bloomery). The patternwelded steel, steel and crucible steel require increasing amounts of work. It can be sped up and automated by building dedicated buildings, and employing a couple extra dwarves for the crude work still lets you produce everything up to steel at a reasonable pace. You can now make iron and steel without needing flux by using the somewhat slower and more charcoal hungry bloomery furnaces, a few more ore types like bog iron was also added to make up for the removal of copper, silver and bronze as weapon/armor material.

Crucible steel is a bit of a different matter, as it requires glass, clay, charcoal and a lot of work to produce. Its a finicky, high end material for later in the game when most of your soldiers already have decent-enough equipment.

Patternwelded steel is roughly the same as 'regular' steel, slightly easier to produce, and only usable for weapons and ammunition. Its more intended as an early-game material. It will be a bit more relevant if I ever get around making the planned ore-quality and skill-mastery based tech tree.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 20, 2018, 01:13:23 pm »

What labors does a civilian have to have enabled for them to pick up personal daggers? I've got 3 daggers in my stockpile but nobody is picking them up.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 21, 2018, 11:31:25 am »

Sadly, the civilian weapons that spawn in adventurer mode do not apply to fortress mode, for some reason or another. You'll have to assign them like a military weapon, assuming you made the daggers from the 'weapons' menu and not as a tool (these are there only to have the game distribute them as adventurer mode civilian weapons).

Its weird, but it is inevitable.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 24, 2018, 06:36:14 pm »

There seems some kind of issue with the leg armor layering. Although the reference sheet shows it possible to use shoes and then a leg plate harness on top of it, my dwarves will only wear 1 shoe and 2 harnesses. I haven't been able to use 2 shoes and 2 harnesses (1 per foot/leg) though it should be possible.

Using 2 gloves and 2 arm plate harnesses works though. Just the legs that refuse to.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2018, 09:04:05 am »

There is a weird glitch in fortress mode related to dwarves not understanding the concept of wearing of pair of leg-items. You can ear everything just fine in adventure mode, and assigning two pieces of leg armor usually cures the issue. It also tends to lead to some leg armor getting reserved but not used and therefore sitting around indefinitely.

Its a base game issue though, and seems to come up whenever trying to get a militia to wear more than one layer of leg armor. I havn't found a more satisfying way to get around it yet, so if anyone knows, I'd love to know!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26