Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion  (Read 115068 times)

sorrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods (0.44.12) - Revision 7: Guns & Fashion
« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2018, 06:55:06 pm »

sorry but I keep getting a thing with dfhack that says it can't find grims.init

I added everything to my df raw folder, was it supposed to be the dfhack folder? I can't find anything called grims.init either

df hack keeps tellin me it can't find raw/scripts/grims.init
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:04:34 pm by sorrow »

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2018, 04:02:21 am »

sorry but I keep getting a thing with dfhack that says it can't find grims.init

I added everything to my df raw folder, was it supposed to be the dfhack folder? I can't find anything called grims.init either

df hack keeps tellin me it can't find raw/scripts/grims.init
Inside "1 - Arms and Armor", there are two folders - "scripts" and "objects".  Everything in "objects" gets added to your raw/objects folder.  Everything in "scripts" should be pasted into your hack/scripts folder (merge modtools with the existing modtools folder when prompted).    That will probably solve your problem.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

sorrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2018, 12:52:51 pm »

thats weird there's no folders inside arms and armor, just the files that I assume are supposed to be in the objects folder

I'm using revision 6c if that helps
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:12:07 pm by sorrow »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2018, 11:41:45 am »

Yes, those are for the objects folder. I feel I need to rework the installation procedure a bit, your not the first to trip up on it.

Note that this most is not strictly compatible with revision at this point. You may be able to still use them both if you add my mods afterwards, but some features from Revision will end up being overwritten.

I have a compatibility patch planned for the next major release of Revision.

EDIT: Said Revision release is apparently out, huzzah!

Also, thanks to thefriendlyhacker for answering sorrow's question in such a timely manner.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:48:50 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 28, 2018, 08:08:13 am »

Is there a guide or readme of some sort to get started with the metallurgy part?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 28, 2018, 10:01:36 am »

I've added descriptions to the buildings and reactions ingame, which should make most of the processes obvious. I do plan on writing up a proper workflow scheme kind of thing once I have the whole thing reworked and upgraded with dfhack.

For now, the general workflow is as such:

-Smelting:
  At: Bloomery or Blast Furnace
  Smelt the ore with an charcoal, or coke if you have a blast furnace
  Product is a bloom or pig iron bars respectively

-Fining:
  At: Finery, Trip hammer or Vanilla Forge's finery section
  Process bloom and raw metal into usable metal with the 'hammering out bloom/bar'
  The trip hammer is fastest, both the trip hammer and finery run these reactions automatically.
  Product is iron bars

-Steel or patterned steel making:
  At: Finery or Vanilla Forge's finery section
  Make steel from iron bars and charcoal powder
  Will need to be re-hammered, also runs automatically

-Crucible steel:
  At: Crucible furnace
  Use iron, charcoal powder, glass powder and a crucible
  Again needs to be hammered out

-Other stuff:
  Charcoal and glass powder are produced at the quern, into a bag or a jug
  Crucibles are made at the kiln
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 28, 2018, 11:51:20 am »

I've added descriptions to the buildings and reactions ingame, which should make most of the processes obvious. I do plan on writing up a proper workflow scheme kind of thing once I have the whole thing reworked and upgraded with dfhack.
That should get me started. Cheers!

A bit of feedback: I think it's a little weird that iron is the only usable metal for tools and weapons. From a historical (and logical!) standpoint it would make quite a bit of sense to use bronze when steel isn't available, as it's quite comparable and in some ways superior to wrought iron, and saw lots of use historically beyond the bronze age. Right now the situation is pretty much "you can have any metal, as long as it's iron", heh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, while I'm here: I noticed that in material_template_default.txt, the [SOLID_DENSITY] under [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:THREAD_PLANT_TEMPLATE] has been changed from 1520 to 150, but this change isn't mentioned in the comment on impact and shear value changes right below. If I understand the raws correctly, this makes cloth items less than 10% the mass they normally are. Is this just a slip of the scalpel?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:27:04 pm by Burneddi »

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 28, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »

A bit of feedback: I think it's a little weird that iron is the only usable metal for tools and weapons. From a historical (and logical!) standpoint it would make quite a bit of sense to use bronze when steel isn't available, as it's quite comparable and in some ways superior to wrought iron, and saw lots of use historically beyond the bronze age. Right now the situation is pretty much "you can have any metal, as long as it's iron", heh.
If I remember my metal history correctly, bronze was more or less a straight upgrade to iron as a weapon material.  Iron was only put into widespread use when the collapse of trade routes made sourcing both tin and copper simultaneously in sufficient quantities dubious at best.  The crappy material properties of iron compared to bronze was what drove metallurgy developments to reduce those shortcomings, and this eventually resulted in the discovery of steel production.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 29, 2018, 11:33:00 am »

The notion that bronze was always superior to 'iron' tends to be supposed on the basis of the properties of pure iron. No such thing existed in the middle ages. Iron was in all cases polluted with various slag inclusions and often did have some amount of carbon in it, either as leftovers from the smelting process or added in later through case hardening.

Medieval iron is more accurately called wrought iron, its been said to be roughly comparable to modern mild steel, but quality, carbon content and quite importantly also the degree of homogeneity make this a pretty wide estimate.

Bronze is also a bit of a tricky thing, since freshly cast bronze suited for armor and weapons is still fairly soft, but was always work-hardened with various levels of skill. Composition and consistency varied as well, so statements of bronze or iron being better than the other in general can be safely dismissed.

The reasons I eventually chose not to include it as a weapon/armor grade material are the following: DF doens't give me any way of setting the prevalence of a certain metal. Either you don't get bronze items, or bronze items out the wazoo. The later, I felt, gave the wrong feeling for the medieval era.
There is also the thing that bronze-working is a different craft than iron/steel working. The process is quite different, and bronze armor and weapons had some much more stringent requirements on the quality of the work and materials than say, a bronze or copper kettle.
Lastly, material in large part dictates what shapes of weapon and armor your going to make. Long, thin swords or complex plate armor would simply not work if made from bronze (this goes for things like iron estocs as well to a lesser degree). Steel and even wrought iron have a very useful elasticity (read: the ability to deform and spring back again) that bronze doesn't have. Springiness like that tends to be more important to making durable, lightweight weapons and armor than hardness.

Adding the appropriate tags back on bronze should be fairly trivial, and *might* not even require a new save. What I have not isn't perfect, I do want to make it a bit more reasonable once I get around to working on the metalworking mod again. What have planned should give me more control over what things can be produced with specific metals.

Edit: In response to the cloth density thing, that was added to make gambesons not weight a ton. Seems I missed it on my comment tour, good find and thanks for pointing that one out!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:35:52 am by Grimlocke »

Dragonsploof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anything new happening with this mod?

knainoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 01, 2019, 02:50:42 pm »

How can I get this to work with the meph launcher? It keeps erasing the custom workshops from the meph pack.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:41:33 pm by knainoa »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2019, 09:57:01 am »

I return, and work continues on the industry mod script. I've gotten it to do basic stuff like modifying job length based on job name, building name or both and it should be fairly easy to extend to more exciting possibilities. Possibilities such as the incremental quality levels I describes a few ages back, morphing workshops into other workshops, having forges spew constant clouds of acrid smoke, etc. The possibilities are endless!

@knainoa: I'm honestly not at all familiar with Meph's launcher or what it does, but while this mod does contain custom workshops it doesn't override the default workshop raws. The scripts don't touch any of the files either, so if something is getting overwritten there then perhaps Meph or someone more familiar with his work can tell you more.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2019, 07:05:07 pm »

The answer is probably this: Both mod contain entity files. It doesn't override workshops, but it overrides the dwarven entity that has the workshops enabled.

The solution: Don't override any files, and merge the entity file manually, keeping what you want to keep from both.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #373 on: September 07, 2019, 08:28:12 am »

Am I missing something here?

Your reactions for the gunsmith are for the BUILDING:METALSMITH, while the gunsmith workshop is BUILDING:GUNSMITH.

Edit: The light ballista seems to be lacking a reaction to load it.

I also can't actually use any of the siege engines, I can build, load and fire them, but when it fires, nothing happens, except for dfhack stating:

...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:307: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
        ...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:307: in global 'initProps'
        ...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:245: in function <...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:229>
...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:307: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
        ...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:307: in global 'initProps'
        ...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:245: in function <...ss/data/save/region5/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:229>
[DFHack]#
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:39:26 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

cltail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2020, 03:09:57 pm »

I've been fiddling with some of the ranged-mod features, and I've found that the code is attempting to run every single projectile on the map though it's checks and causing hundreds of errors. Logs from cutting down a tree, thrown objects, even spit. I think this is happening because the code lacks a check to skip these special special projectiles. I haven't noticed any slowdown or any problems because of this, but it fills the DFhack console with these errors.

Code: [Select]
...12/data/save/region6/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:237: attempt to index a number value (field 'subtype')
stack traceback:
        ...12/data/save/region6/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:237: in function <...12/data/save/region6/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:229>
...12/data/save/region6/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:237: attempt to index a number value (field 'subtype')
stack traceback:
        ...12/data/save/region6/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:237: in function <...12/data/save/region6/raw/scripts/modtools/ranged-mod.lua:229>

If you want to test it, go into the arena and grab some sand or a branch, throw 'em around and spit a couple times, the console will be filled with errors.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26