Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 12 mages, or the hidden runes chess  (Read 1260 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
12 mages, or the hidden runes chess
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:13:28 pm »

i'm developping this boardgame, at first for a very abstract art exibition, but now i'm planning to sell this on local street fairs and renaissance fairs, and maybe one day a kickstarter or somming. It's been tested by about 8 people, 6 of wich found it fun

It's a chess-like thingie. Two players on a 8x8 board, with 12 pieces, 6 for each player. There are 6 visually distinct pieces, one for each player, and each piece move in a way only the owner knows, at least at the begnning of the game. As they play, players start to figue out the oponents pieces, and on your first games, it is a good idea to note down the oponents moves. Games tend to be short, so we always played 3 rounds to decide a winner.

I haven't decided on a name, i've thought up the two on the thread title, but i'd apreciate some input. I'm also planning to start a thread on Forum Games, but i'm having trouble finding the time to host a forum game so i'd like to tempt you into setting up a game among yourseves. An arbiter might be useful but i don't think it is needed and i can't afford to be more than a spectator, so, at least two of you would be interested?

I'd post the rules of the game in a more detailed manner, but i don't want to have a huge first post and i'm still writing it all up, so i'll end here.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:38:50 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 12 mages, or the hidden runes chess
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »

As an avid chess-player, this seems like a good alternate that can be played with a chess set. (Sometimes you need something to pass the time between tournament games)

Can you elaborate on the rules?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:31 pm »

This almost sounds like that old war game. (No not chess.) There *are* large differences but the premise that you don't know what your opponent's pieces are until they're interacted with is quite similar.
I can't remember what it was called, but you had a board of pieces with a picture that faced only you, and the goal was to take your opponent's three flags (I think, it's been ages since I've played it) which were all placed on their back row. (But you didn't know which pieces were which.)
There were mines.
I think it was kind of an American Civil War setting. Napoleonic as well, maybe.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:12 pm »

that kinda sounds like battleships? i always thought that game was magical, we used to play it on grid paper and seeing it being played on gamesets always weirded me out.

at the start of the game you assign one of 6 move-sets to each of your pieces...  guess i'll just post this here
Spoiler: Game Rules (click to show/hide)

the boardgame i'm planning to sell is packaged in a burlap pouch that when untied unfolds into the gameboard: an 8x8 grid handprinted on the cloth. The game pieces are polished slices of branches with fhuthark runes burned on them. 6 pairs of runes, half of wich are varnished in a darker color. That's for the 15($20?) euro edition that i'll start with. Then i want to make a fancy edtion, in a velvet cloth and with tiger eye and red jasper runes for 40(50?).
pics!:
Spoiler:  not my work (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:14:46 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »

Nah, it wasn't battleships. You had reasonably large amount of pieces, probably twice as many as chess.

The pieces look pretty cool. Will the piece of paper explaining what the runes actually are come with it?

I don't think 50 dollars is anywhere near 40 euros, but I'm Australian so I don't really know. (Assuming you mean American dollars here.)

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »

I havent put much thought on shipping it abroad so i don't care much for the conversion rates yet. the local price isn't settled yet either

The game board doesnt feature all the runes, but i'm using them all and you get 6 out of 24 runes, in two colors, so i'm listing them all in the generic pamphlet that comes wth the game. Their names are spelled out, their mistical uses in neopagan religious practices arent described though.

i'm typing up an op on forum games right now, just to call attention in a more visible place.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:52:22 pm »

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »

This almost sounds like that old war game. (No not chess.) There *are* large differences but the premise that you don't know what your opponent's pieces are until they're interacted with is quite similar.
I can't remember what it was called, but you had a board of pieces with a picture that faced only you, and the goal was to take your opponent's three flags (I think, it's been ages since I've played it) which were all placed on their back row. (But you didn't know which pieces were which.)
There were mines.
I think it was kind of an American Civil War setting. Napoleonic as well, maybe.
You're thinking of Stratego. That's a fantastic game, although it's been a while since I've played.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).